Third Party Press

G33/40 Help

agentcq

I just recieved a G33/40 (Still need pics) and need some help.

It is missing the cleaning rod and sight hood and I am wondering what type the G33/40 accepts?

Do they take a regular K98 hood? G43/K43 hood? Styer type hood? Or a G33/40 specific hood?

Same with the cleaning rod 10.5 inch? 12.5 inch? Or G33/40 specific.

I had an original 10.5 inch cleaning rod from a K98, but I couldn't get more than a few inches into the stock.

I also need an original bolt.

It is a dot 42 "6XXX a" The "x's" are just because I can't remember the serial off hand.

Cheers

The hood is specific to the 33/40 . It is round instead of straight sides and is cut different to fit the rifle. You could make one out of a 98 hood but it wouldnt fool anyone who knows. I cant say about the rod. Help will arrive soon.

Yes, the 33/40 rods and hoods are specific to the model. As WC indicated the hoods can get expensive but they do show up often enough. The rod should be 11 inches but 10.5's work just fine even if they look a little short. One of these sold on the trader recently for $200, I think.

I got lucky at a Gun Show this weekend.

Sight hood for $30.00 the dealer has a bunch of sight hoods (K98 and even a styer hood) but I jumped on the G33/40 hood.

I also bought some a 15 round pack of Spur (gelb) Yellow Tracer ammo from the same dealer. The seller was trying to tell me that it was special Sniper ammo and that the S in SMK designated "sniper" ammo and even had some english written sheet to prove it. I will need to make a seperate post about that later when I have a camera around and when I am back home.

Nevertheless I knew it was Yellow tracer ammo and the price wasn't that bad, so I picked it up, but I can't think why a sniper would want to give up his position by using tracer ammo?

Last edited:
Are you sure That the yellow is phosphorus? I have some wartime Ammo that is yellow tipped, But the yellow signifies that it is heavy ball. I also have some actual phosphorus dipped rounds, For different calibers, But they are all red.

Military Rifle Journal
Back