Third Party Press

Erfurt 1918 Kar 98 bring back

Hokiewolf209

Registered
Hello,
I am new to this site and excited to be here. I recently was handed down a 1918 Erfurt in sporterized condition. The Numbers all match and the bore is in very good condition. The stock looks to have had a reddish varnish on it. The bluing is not that bad. I have shot the rifle at 100 yards and had groupings in the 1 3/4 " range. I am wondering if these rifles hold much value?

Condition-originality (manufacturer original) is key to collector value, and that is where the money is with the Kar98a, as they do not have a large "rc" type following. Generally, nice rifles (98a) sell for good money, problem rifles drop in value quickly, and refinished, chopped rifles are shooters. Stocks are hard to find loose and worse even if you find one they are a challenge to fit as interchangeability is a myth on the 98a without tinkering.

If the rifle has original metal and the stock salvageable it could be have significant value still. If the stock is a loss, and many are, as the Kar98a was the G33/40 of the 98k variations (favorite of the sportsmen due to their length & light weight - 98k length is short when it's compared to a Gew.98) then it takes a large hit (about half off, usually more), but still has value if the metal is "Imperial" original.

Most Weimar era rifles (98a) have weak demand unless they have something special about them- usually that means the stock - if it is marked to the right police organization, or really nice, as most Weimar era Kar98a are dogs because they were really used (police and training units usually had them and they were rough on them, many are in sorry shape)

Do some images of your rifle, if you can, or describe it better?

Hello,
I am new to this site and excited to be here. I recently was handed down a 1918 Erfurt in sporterized condition. The Numbers all match and the bore is in very good condition. The stock looks to have had a reddish varnish on it. The bluing is not that bad. I have shot the rifle at 100 yards and had groupings in the 1 3/4 " range. I am wondering if these rifles hold much value?

Military Rifle Journal
Back