Third Party Press

Fallschirmjäger Helmets

THunter

While in one of my local gunshops today I noticed again a M38 Fallschirmjäger Helmet with a "type II" camo helmet cover. Its been sitting there for atleast 2 years and the type of crowd that goes into the shop insnt exactly the type that would buy a Fallschirmjäger Helmet. The helmet is in a glass case and I didnt get a chance of throughly check it out or thought about doing so. I just gave it a look over and glanced at the price tag out of curiosity. The shop owner wants $4750. The straps appeared to be aged and the cover appeared to be period also from the staining, fading and overall condition. All I could see visually was the cover on the helmet and part of the straps. I know little to nothing about German helmets and what to look for, espcially Fallschirmjäger helmets and camo helmet covers. I have no pics and I know this post is pretty much useless without them, but what I want to find out is if its worth going back to give it a REALLY good look over. If this thing is legit and I can flip it and make a grand or more in profit than thats what Im looking to do. However, $4750 is alot of money to gamble on..so I have to tripple sure its legit. So hopefully somebody here is knowledgeable and can can help me with some thoughts/values/answers.

Soooo, whats the market for these if theyre authentic? Can it be moved quickly? Or will I sit on it?

Whats the value of a Minty M38 with a minty/excellent liner/straps? Whats the price range?

Whats the value of a original "Type II" helmet cover by itself? Not sure of the type, but it had the same camo pattern as this one:
ghhcFJ-2.jpg

What should I look out for, red flags?

Prices seem to be all over. One website here http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Luftwaffe/03Headgear.html has a few listed from $4k to $12k another site here http://www.svmilitaria.com/GermanWWIIHelmets.htmhas one listed at a sale price of $5.5k

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Helmet

if its legit thats a deal. Dealers try to get near that for just a cover. I'm far from an expert on the subject. Cammo covers are very hard to authenticate..

I think the older ATF repo helmets (which are nice and probably common) all use the lot number 3892 and are maker marked CKL71. That would be one thing to check. I saw a faked snow camo ATF shell sell for 4K once on ebay. :facepalm:

Find an original and smell the liner. As the rubber breaks down with age it gives off a distinctive odor. Yeah, weird, but it works.

TH, if it is in a shop trafficked by collectors that know better it would have been gone within hours at that price, if it was original. Every aspect of the M.38 has been reproduced for years.

An original FJ helmet with original splinter pattern cover in good condition would be a bargain at that price, even for a late-war, no-decal helmet w/ cover. There are too many fakes and reproductions to take a chance if you’ve not studied these helmets before. I’d hate to see you lose your money. Take some pics and get opinions from other collectors before buying. You will want to show pics of the whole liner and chinstrap, details of the liner and chinstrap, stamped codes on inside rim of shell (particularly the maker/size code), and an inside detail of the rolled rim for starters. If it has been for sale in his shop for 2 years at that price, odds are it is a repro or fake.

I have another opportunity to purchase a FJ helmet. Ill be able to check it out in person

Opinions? good? Bad? Value? Sorry these are the only pics I could get ahold of

Attachments

• FJ1.jpg
    FJ1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 58
  • FJ2.jpg
    FJ2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 48
  • FJ3.jpg
    FJ3.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 48
  • FJ4.jpg
    FJ4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 45
  • FJ5.jpg
    FJ5.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 47
  • FJ6.jpg
    FJ6.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
f.j. lid

the paint and aged decal are spot on. if the shell is fake as well. But poor photos and bad lighting can hide alot..

No problem

Thanks Jack, This is what I needed to know and why I posted here to double check.

With most of these the liner is the issue. From pics shell looks OK. I learned the hard way several years ago. If you want to get into helmets buy Ken Niewiarowicz's book...two of my paratrooper helmets are in it. Ken just sold out so when they go out of print you know what happens. :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back