PDA

View Full Version : bcd4 LSR find, restoration pending

ditch68
10-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Dave Roberts now has an indentured servant for life, by virtue of passing a lead for this very great "out of the woodwork" rifle on to me.

bcd4 original LSR, a bringback deer rifle which needs to be brought back from the brink. Crappy auction pictures did not show how good it really is, but the price was great, and here it is.

Serial is 75832, putting it in early 1945, right in the range of a slew of LSR rifles before the bcd45 changeover. All original finish on the action, nice "clear" greenish phosphate, almost no wear. Amazingly, bubba removed the base, but left the original tapered pins intact and installed. How that miracle occurred, I will never know. Original front band "1" marked, phosphate. The original rear band had the sling loop ground off, and a lug welded to the bottom for a sling loop in the bottom position. It was in a replacement stock ( an original sanded Kriegsmarine Nordsee unit marled flat laminate) with a sling swivel added to the keel to correspond with this. The stock was also gouged out to attempt to make the thick sidewall action fit. Such a shame, and a shame the original stock was gone as well.

Original "qnw" stamped blued triggerguard and floorplate in pristine condition. Phosphate milled follower. All rear sight parts original, and "i" marked.

Bolt is a mixmaster with a couple Gustloff parts, but I have a line on an original LSR bolt with key safey (thanks AGAIN, Dave...).

So, all I need is an original mount, and base. I am going to try to find a late dow center elevation scope and springband mount set to top it off, and a correct "c" marked bcd late stock. it is pictured here in a postwar Czech stock until I get that done.

An easy restoration. well, except for some expensive parts!

I will keep you all posted on the progress here. I like to publicly post restorations like this, so the rifle does not someday down the road get represented as all original after it is no longer mine...which will not be anytime soon!

This little guy has pretty much been my "Holy Grail" rifle for many, many years. I am really looking forward to putting this one back to how it should be!

Jeff

Wolfsburg
10-14-2011, 10:10 PM
She's a beaut! The base on mine is missing too, but one of the pins remains. Go figure...

Dave Roberts
10-15-2011, 01:19 AM
Jeff
You are Very welcome and happy to pass it on . There is another member who without him this I believe would not have turned out the way it did , that was Keith Dieter. Keith I Thank You . Best Regards

ditch68
10-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Absolutely right, Dave. I thanked Keith in an email the day you told me about it. I did not realize he was a member here, I thought he was just a friend of yours.

Thanks, Keith!

Jeff

agentcq
10-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Very nice. I have a similar project. bcd4 but missing the original mount. I have the right scope and a line on a original saftey and butt plate, but the mount is the hard thing to find.

There are repro's but I need the wide band version and no one makes a repro of that version. They only make reros of the fixed band and narrow spring band.

ditch68
10-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks. I agree, the mount is going to be the tough part.

I MAY just get a narrow spring band repro just to get something on there until I find one, since no modification to the rifle is needed, of course.

I really want a dow center elevation scope, but would settle for a bek if the right deal came around.

Doesn't matter, I'm pretty broke right now for hobby spending, anyway. I'm saving up for something big and awesome!

Jeff

agentcq
10-16-2011, 07:42 PM
I would have loved one of the Ajack scopes but I found a nice 'bek' with artic shield which I couldn't pass by on. I still think it was over $1000 for the scope if I recall.

The narrow band mounts are not that good as far as finish goes. I ordered one and it doesn't look right. I had a fixed ring mount from the Ukraine which was nice (even had good Waffen Amts) but it wasn't right for the rifle (serial number range).

At least these rifles give us the hope of owning a close to original sniper.