Third Party Press

Educated opinions

I saw that the other day, during my plundering run through Gunboards, - very impressive discovery by John Wall. I can't say I have any better idea, but I too though it had little to do with rifle repair (good points Lewis), though John Wall is pretty darn sharp when it comes to German rifles.

Reading the comments, I think those that suggest the wood expedient are most likely the ones on the right track. In an Army Ordnance magazine article of 1932, it mentioned that the German demand for black walnut, in the years immediately prior to the war, being responsible for exhausting the ready supply of it in the United States, - that when the United States took up arms production, during the war, it found they had to place ordnance men out in search of walnut (apparently black walnut doesn't grow in large groups, in a forest, but rather in single trees or clumps of trees).

This was an acute problem for Germany before the war, and a short term problem for US Army Ordnance in the early period of the war.

Of course, that is only my opinion, and I really do not know what this modification was designed to deal with.

Anyone got some ideas on the trials Danzig, half way into the thread, posted by John Wall:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?116078-Danzig-mausers

Attachments

• AO-SeptOct1932.jpg
    AO-SeptOct1932.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back