PDA

View Full Version : SSR Value pics finally

agentcq
10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
More pics of the SSR sniper I am looking at.

CE 42 Light import mark on barrel.

MM, bolt matches itself and trigger guard and plate matches itself, but neither match the reciever.

Mount base as pictured.

Real???? Worth $1500 as a project? Lot's of money for an import non-matching rifle, but not a bad price for a starting sniper project if legit.

There seems to be some marking on or through the Reichs Eagle. Iranian??? Other?? I guess this came in with a bunch of other imports years ago and was held in the sellers collection ever since.

Thank you

ditch68
10-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Looks real to me. The wood inlet for the base, leaving the outside intact, is nice. I saw an RC SSR stock once with the stock inletted like that. Does the wood match the action?

I wish the last picture was larger.

Jeff

Dave Roberts
10-25-2011, 02:50 PM
It is Correct for a Sauer . I would Buy It . Very Hard Sniper to find . Stock relief is Typical Sauer .Best Regards

:thumbsup:

agentcq
10-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Well, I decided to pick it up. Sadly with export/import I won't be able to share pics for a few months.

There is not much info online about the SSR series and I am excited to get home to my references on the weekend (Law and Senich).

Anyone else know much about these rifles?

ditch68
10-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Dave knows more than anyone I know. I think my least favorite system is SSR, I just enough to know what I am looking at. Law's book is a cursory intro at best, Senich's is better. Robert Spielauer has a good book, but it is mostly just a photobook. But much can be learned from that.

So many of the original SSR rifles did not survive the war, info is spotty. But yours could have had a military contract scope, or commercial one.

You are lucky to have an original in the condition you found it in at that price, plus Sauer is more rare than MO (byf). I used to have an original mount and base (early type 1) built on a standard S/147 rifle. But I never have had an original.

If I had just one, I would want a very late one, with military contract scope and type 3 mount system. My Dad has a repro I built for him of just that setup on a byf43 5 digit no letter block bolt mismatch. It lives in my gun cabinet, it shoots well. About as nice a SSR repro as one could want, it looks great, but is not the real thing...

I trust you will do a complete photoset when you get it.

Jeff

agentcq
10-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Thank you for the imput. I have a few sniper projects on the go:

2 x zf41 (one RC and one Bolt Mis-Match) - Original side rails (One has an original scope and mount and the other needs a scope and mount, I would love one from Kassel)
LSR Project (bcd4) (Original reciever and scope but I still need a mount - Wide band version)
SVT40 (Original side notches and notch on the top to secure scope - still need scope and mount)
G/K43 (Nice unissued scope with all the bits but no mount)
and now this SSR project (No top mount or scope)
&
M1C Sniper Complete (Just needs sighting in)

Because of difficiencies on most (missing scope/mount) I was able to afford them. The trick now is to complete them. I would like to go original (Mounts/Scopes) but wouldn't mind working with quality repro's till I find the Real McCoy.

Money is the big issue, I have had funds tied in litegation for over three years and hate it when nice mounts/scopes slide through my fingers. I would have loved to have picked up one of the original G/K43 mounts/scope sets that were for sale a few months ago.

Any idea on where to find Roberts Book? I have looked a few times and had no luck. I heard he was coming out with a second printing but haven't heard anything yet.

Dave knows more than anyone I know. I think my least favorite system is SSR, I just enough to know what I am looking at. Law's book is a cursory intro at best, Senich's is better. Robert Spielauer has a good book, but it is mostly just a photobook. But much can be learned from that.

So many of the original SSR rifles did not survive the war, info is spotty. But yours could have had a military contract scope, or commercial one.

You are lucky to have an original in the condition you found it in at that price, plus Sauer is more rare than MO (byf). I used to have an original mount and base (early type 1) built on a standard S/147 rifle. But I never have had an original.

If I had just one, I would want a very late one, with military contract scope and type 3 mount system. My Dad has a repro I built for him of just that setup on a byf43 5 digit no letter block bolt mismatch. It lives in my gun cabinet, it shoots well. About as nice a SSR repro as one could want, it looks great, but is not the real thing...

I trust you will do a complete photoset when you get it.

Jeff

Dave Roberts
10-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Robert has actually done the Second Printing a Couple Years Ago . He is Now coming out with the Third Printing with many more Original Pic and a Number of New Rifles and Scopes and Mounts . You might be able to find his Book on German Ebay . I have seen them there from time to time . Contact Robert he maybe able to find one for You . Best Regards