PDA

View Full Version : bnz 44 Single Claw

Hercules
03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
My Single Claw Sniper WaA on the keal with a C and on the right side it has an acceptance stamp with H. Under the barrel the stock has the following markings: 6 6 42 40 Na 35 and then the Serial Number. The 35 is smaller and in a perpendicular line with other numbers. The Na is a wood stock blank supplier. I have seen a few BCD mausers that have similiar markings beneath the butt plate. However, I do not feel the numbers coincide with a date. Any thoughts?

mrfarb
03-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Can you post pics of the stock numbers? The numbers you mention are typical for bcd produced stocks, along with others. They usually do conincide with a date- that one appears to me to be 40 dated, but pics would tell.

Hercules
03-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Pics will take a few days. I am busy at work.. However, my description is accurate. The numbers read from left to right under the barrel except for the 35. The number 35 is written in a smaller font size in between this list of numbers and the serial number. The number 35 is also written perpendicular to this line of numbers. 1940 would not necessarily fit the profile. There is a 42 in the list of numbers as well. The C coded stocks were made by a subcontractor according to my info. Also, the 40 is not stamped on top of receiver. It is stamped on the receiver below the stock line. The top of receiver is covered with a scope mount. Standby for pictures.

Dave Roberts
03-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Pics will take a few days. I am busy at work.. However, my description is accurate. The numbers read from left to right under the barrel except for the 28. The number 28 is written in a smaller font size in between this list of numbers and the serial number. The number 28 is also written perpendicular to this line of numbers. 1940 would not necessarily fit the profile. There is a 42 in the list of numbers as well. The C coded stocks were made by a subcontractor according to my info. Also, the 40 is not stamped on top of receiver. It is stamped on the receiver below the stock line. The top of receiver is covered with a scope mount. Standby for pictures.

Hercules
It would be great to get as many pics of the SC as Possible Scope Ser# Mount Bases all Numbered Parts a hard Sniper to find is it all matching Optics also . Best regards Dave . I will Post Pics of my Matching SC later today .

Dave Roberts
03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Here are the Pics of My SC Sniper Rifle

Bigdibbs88
03-27-2010, 12:51 PM
WOW that is a clean rifle :boom:

Turbo Archie
03-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Dave,

Looks like your single claw crashed the site..

Thanks for posting!!!

Hercules
03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Dave,

I really enjoyed the pictures of your rifle. It looks like an excellent example that has not been tampered with. My rifle is all original/matching including: front/rear bands, stock, scope mounts attached to rifle, bolt, safety, cocking piece, floor plate, and receiver. The only thing that is not original/matching is the scope rings. The scope rings are a reproduction of the originals. The reproduction scope rings look just like the originals. If I could find originals even with a different serial number I would put them on the scope. The original scope rings were not available. My bmj scope is original with a serial number of 85229 with a recoil ring installed. The rifle serial number of 3995d is close to yours. My rifle does not have a checkered butt plate. The rifle I have has about the same over all patina that yours has. When I get a chance I will put the pictures on here if you want to see them. Thanks.

Dave Roberts
03-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Dave,

I really enjoyed the pictures of your rifle. It looks like an excellent example that has not been tampered with. My rifle is all original/matching including: front/rear bands, stock, scope mounts attached to rifle, bolt, safety, cocking piece, floor plate, and receiver. The only thing that is not original/matching is the scope rings. The scope rings are a reproduction of the originals. The reproduction scope rings look just like the originals. If I could find originals even with a different serial number I would put them on the scope. The original scope rings were not available. My bmj scope is original with a serial number of 85229 with a recoil ring installed. The rifle serial number of 3995d is close to yours. My rifle does not have a checkered butt plate. The rifle I have has about the same over all patina that yours has. When I get a chance I will put the pictures on here if you want to see them. Thanks.

Would like very much to see Your SC , One thing about Your BMJ its most probable Originally off a Long Side Rail Band Type Mount as it should not have a recoil ring but no big deal until You can find an Original set of Rings and Scope . I have one in My Scope & Mount collection but would not part with it as it is Interesting Varient , Early model BMJ in 66,000 Ser range but with later Varient Turret & Dial will Post Pics later . Thank for Compliments on my SC Guy`s . Very Best Regards to All

Hercules
03-28-2010, 01:46 AM
Dave,

It sounds like you have been studying these rifles for a while so I am sure that I am not bringing up new information. It seems that there are a lot of different variations in these rifles. If you look in Senich's book, The German Sniper, there are a couple single claw sniper rifles that have recoil rings on the scopes. It seems appropriate to me since the scope rings are a friction fit (like the long side rail) and not soldered on like the turret mount. I know there is differing opinions on this matter. It seems to me that if a scope was available and you were building a rifle for utility use (like war time production) you would pick a scope that does the job disregarding a variation in production. I am not saying you are wrong, but I think that recoil ring or not, does not matter. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of official German documentation concerning this. There are only pictures in the Senich book. The scope I have does look like those pictures in the Senich book and seems correct for the gun. Thanks.

Dave Roberts
03-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Dave,

It sounds like you have been studying these rifles for a while so I am sure that I am not bringing up new information. It seems that there are a lot of different variations in these rifles. If you look in Senich's book, The German Sniper, there are a couple single claw sniper rifles that have recoil rings on the scopes. It seems appropriate to me since the scope rings are a friction fit (like the long side rail) and not soldered on like the turret mount. I know there is differing opinions on this matter. It seems to me that if a scope was available and you were building a rifle for utility use (like war time production) you would pick a scope that does the job disregarding a variation in production. I am not saying you are wrong, but I think that recoil ring or not, does not matter. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of official German documentation concerning this. There are only pictures in the Senich book. The scope I have does look like those pictures in the Senich book and seems correct for the gun. Thanks.

Hercules I do understand what Your saying and Your thoughts giving the sittuation of the War for the Germans . the thing is I do not agree with this senario not when it comes to Sniper Rifles the Germans used Specific Scopes for Specific Models of Sniper Rifles and have access to Scopes really
was not a problem . As per SC in Senich I know how and why that Scope ended up on that SC Rifle
It was put on Post War . I talk with the Original owner a few years back . And the other problem with that senerio is that scope falls into the LSR Scope Serial Range not SC Serial Range . But either way
I do agree that we can agree to disagree . Still like to see Pics of Your SC Rifle . Best Regards Dave

Hercules
03-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Dave,

Since we are talking scope serial numbers I would assume you have a personal list of scope number ranges. My scope is 9400 numbers away from your scope. If the Germans really did make approx. 10,000 SC Sniper Rifles then the scope would be within the range considering these same scopes being used in turret mounts as well as long side rail mounts. Also, there is another scope in the Senich book for the SC that is 84201, which is fairly close to my serial numbered scope. The scope I have seems more appropriate than a scope with a serial number of 66000 mentioned earlier. I do understand the fact that the principle scope for this SC sniper is the 4-power bmj scope. My scope is a 4-power bmj scope. It does not have an extension for the sun shield like the one in the Senich book (it is the same length as the ones in the other pictures). Both of the ends of my scope can be removed to permit mounting on a single claw sniper with a recoil ring. The books also do not mention anything about a checkered butt plate on the SC Sniper, but I know they existed on some SC rifles. I have heard of a matching SC Sniper rifle with a checkered butt plate and a recoil ring on the scope from a knowledgeable and reliable source with experience. Unfortunately, there is conflicting and inaccuate data in the books as well as the opinions of others (including my own at times). I respect your opinion for what it is. Thanks for the information.

Dave Roberts
03-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi Hercules
There are Two different Models of the BMJ Scope used on the SC the Two Piece and Three Piece and also used was Zeiss Zielvier of these I know of are in 79 , 81 , 82,000 Ser# Range and not well known either is it Possible Your Scope Original yes I would be foolish to say no , but if You follow the Pattern I say no but I just do not know and not going to split hairs trying to do so its fruitless . I to respect Your thoughts and opinion . I have learned to never say never , So never say never I have proven and been proven wrong a few times so not worth it . Would be great to see some Photos of your SC if you wish to Post them . Will post pics of different SC Scopes used .There is Two Piece BMJ , Two Piece BMJ with Second Varient Turret & Dial , Three Piece BMJ and Zeiss Zielvier SC Type of the SC Zeiss seen all markings have been Identical to these shown . Best Regards Dave

Hercules
04-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Dave,

Here are 1/2 of the pictures of the bnz single claw. I hope you find the pictures interesting. Looking forward to your opinions/comments. Thanks.

Hercules
04-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Other Pictures. I think the numbers on the inside of stock/ under the barrel (6 40 42) are worker/work station numbers and not dates. Other opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Hercules
04-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Dave,

I would have to say that I have never heard of a Zeiss scope on a single claw before. It is not listed in any of the books on the subject. Do you know who brought it home? I always have thought the bmj scope was the only one issued with the rifle, but I see no reason why that would have to be the case. I just never heard of it. Thanks.

Dave Roberts
04-04-2010, 05:55 PM
First off You need to remember when Senich & Law wrote there Books info was very limited and not as now with the Computer age , I do have an Original Photo of a SC with Zeiss Zielvier .I know of Two matching SC with Zeiss Zielvier Scopes and about 5 or 6 Scopes all are Identical one I pictured and in Specific Ser# Range . Photo Added

Hercules
04-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the photo. Do you have any others like it you would want to post? I do know someone who has a matching SC with a recoil ring. Next time I talk to them I will ask them about it in more detail. Thanks again.

Dave Roberts
04-05-2010, 02:27 AM
See if You can Post some Pics of it and get Scope Ser# if Possible . Take a look and record Every SC with BMJ You see . all I have seen with the BMJ is in 75,000 Ser# range and most Every BMJ with Recoil Ring has been in 85,000 Ser# Range and on LSR Rifles . A period Pic of SC and BMJ with recoil would put this to rest real Quick , Again I won`t say never but evidence to date say no at least what I have seen . As Yourself Hercules I use to think the same Very strongly until I was shown a number of different Ser# studies that showed other wise and what I mention to You now .

Turbo Archie
04-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Is that stock correct on Hercules rifle?

It looks like a JPS stock with the wrong Heer stamp..

????

Hercules
04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Dave,

I will talk to my friend in May about the scope numbers on his rifle. Pictures will be up to him. As far as period pics of a single claw, I will keep looking. I understand the need to categorize and look for similiarities, but I do not think it is possible in all cases to narrow the possibilities to such a narrow range. Talk to you later. Thanks.

Dave Roberts
04-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Dave,

I will talk to my friend in May about the scope numbers on his rifle. Pictures will be up to him. As far as period pics of a single claw, I will keep looking. I understand the need to categorize and look for similiarities, but I do not think it is possible in all cases to narrow the possibilities to such a narrow range. Talk to you later. Thanks.

You know that was my thought also was when I said I need to find a Pic of a SC Rifle with Zeiss and then after a good No# of Years one showed Up . So I think it is Possible for a Pic of Sc with BMJ and Recoil Ring to surface . But again the Ser No# studies show other wise . And most of the SC `s that have shown up show that they were Produced about Late 42 , 43 , 44 have not seen any 45`s to date . Then again You can never tell what may surface . If You can get pics please post them may show something new . but see if You can get a Total Pic Package like mine or Yours this will help alot

Dave Roberts
04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Is that stock correct on Hercules rifle?

It looks like a JPS stock with the wrong Heer stamp..

????

Not sure need more Pics . Hercules ,can You post Pics of Stock side Proofs and Stock Ser# . Does it match Rec. Ser#

Hercules
04-05-2010, 03:57 PM
The stock serial number does match the serial number on the gun.

Dave Roberts
04-05-2010, 06:28 PM
The stock serial number does match the serial number on the gun.

Were is the Ser# in Channel and the Handguard . First SC I have seen with a C stock .
Thats Cool .

Hercules
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
The serial number is in the barrel channel in both the stock and the hand guard.

jack944
04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Dave,

Your rifle is stunning. Never saw one that I thought was good like this one.
Great pics of the important parts. I think I am coming for a visit !

:jaw::hail:

budp
04-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Dave,,my SC also has a C stock.Bud

Turbo Archie
04-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Santa,
Does yours have the same eagle/H ???

mrfarb
04-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm not liking that stock- Steyr never used that type of Eagle H in any year of production, and the code you show in the stock channel is typical for JP Sauer and Gustloff - but it decodes as : Na (blank supplier) 6 (unknown code) 40 (month of production) 42 (year of production). That stock would be good for a 1942-43 JP Sauer, so that is most likely what it came from in my opinion, especially with the small takedown disc. I don't like the C proof myself, the C proof is actually a stylized C instead of a block C like that, and is never accompanied by a Wa37 (the waffenamt for JP Sauer stocks). The bands look correct, along with the bolt though.

budp
04-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Archie,my stock has the typical steyr eagle/h .I.E.tiny H,.I believe Hercules stock is a replacement.The stock should also have a checkered buttplate.Bud

Dave Roberts
04-07-2010, 03:34 AM

I do not think either of mine are C proofed but I will take a peek .
Thats really Cool see You do learn something new from time to time
here . Just Kidding Guys . Gotta Love it here . LOL!!!!!!!!
Great to hear from You Bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Roberts
04-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Archie,my stock has the typical steyr eagle/h .I.E.tiny H,.I believe Hercules stock is a replacement.The stock should also have a checkered buttplate.Bud

Bud I do know of an Early All Matching SC with Early BMJ that has Smooth Buttplate . Have You seen any SC with Smooth Buttplates or Do mean this one should have checkered because it a later SC . I do not think all SC have to have the Checkered Buttplate .At least not the ones made before 1944 . What do You think Bud . Regards Dave

Hercules
04-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Dave,

The single claw on p.270 (bottom picture) in the Senich book has an eagle/large H on it. The C looks good in my opinion (There is a C in the barrel channel as well). The gun is the way I bought it. I put it on here to compare it and learn more, because I am interested in this type of Mauser. I still really like it for what it is (I just bought it for fun).

Dave Roberts
04-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Dave,

The single claw on p.270 (bottom picture) in the Senich book has an eagle/large H on it. The C looks good in my opinion (There is a C in the barrel channel as well). Large bolt takedown disk did not appear in Sauer stock until later part of 1944. The gun is the way I bought it. I put it on here to compare it and learn more, because I am interested in this type of Mauser. I still really like it for what it is (I just bought it for fun).

Hercules
I really do not think anyone is trying to Bash You or Your SC I have a Turret that is having the Bolt Questioned do I like this , I dislike the fact more that maybe something on one of my Rifles is in Question , but I would rather find out than keep thinking it is all correct . As You mentioned You came here to learn sometimes it may hurt a bit to learn and I really do not think its the learning or Rifle being Questioned that bothers people its more that maybe we got snookered or did not know as much as we thought or bought something that is not all correct . This is a great forum and none of these guys have ever pulled any punches that I would bring to Question . Is there sometimes thing out of the norm sure , but that is when you really need to look at things objectively . And as You said you like Your SC for what it is , thats what really matters to You . I really enjoy the learning part of collecting and I have learned a great deal over the past 15yrs . There was a lot of things that were assumed to be Correct when Senich and Law wrote their books that have been proved other wise since the Computer Age exploded
Best Regards & Good Collecting to All .

mrfarb
04-07-2010, 09:05 PM
No doubt, it's a real single claw- thats important!

Hercules
04-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Bud,

I s your stock similiar to mine other than the Eagle H? Does it have a WaA? Thanks.

Hercules
04-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Were is the Ser# in Channel and the Handguard . First SC I have seen with a C stock .
Thats Cool .

Dave,

I have a question. Does a C stock refer to any subcontracted stock(possibly Sauer for a bnz gun). I know the new book mentions one contractor (Tischfabrifabrik Hermann Menzel). Is this contractor common knowledge or an educated guess. Thanks.

Dave Roberts
04-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Dave,

I have a question. Does a C stock refer to any subcontracted stock(possibly Sauer for a bnz gun). I know the new book mentions one contractor (Tischfabrifabrik Hermann Menzel). Is this contractor common knowledge or an educated guess. Thanks.

Hercules , Honestly Mike , Bruce or Craig could give You a more detailed and Exact answer than Myself
So I will defer to one of these three or someone else who could better aswer this for You .

Nigromontanus
09-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Hercules, your scope has a recoil ring, which were made for LSR. I have bmj 85225, it is a three piece scope with sunshade for LSR. All bmj scopes in this SN range were made for LSR. If you look on the underside of the front ocular there should be a hole where screw for sunshade fits in (maybe it has been closed by the person who sold you this rifle). Looking closer on the mounts of your scope it does appear to me that they might be with high probability not genuine, given the new bluing witout any faults. I am afraid someone had a system or gun with steyr mounts and tried to organize the rest to complete a sniper rifle. I do not want to make an item bad, but I do not want to be possibly made up thing declared to be original.

Hercules
09-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Nigromontanus,

The scope rings are reproduction and were identified as such earlier in the post. The scope mounts on the rifle are original. The scope itself came from another BNZ single claw with scope rings that were damaged beyond repair. Also there does not appear to be a screw hole on the underside of the front occular. It does not appear to be tampered with. If you are interested I could provide a photo when I have time. The rifle was purchased from a friend who is a long time collector. The price paid took into consideration the reprodution scope rings, but the scope was considered to be from a BNZ single claw. I plan on taking the rifle to the target range soon. If I could find original BNZ scope rings I would put them on this scope or another scope if one became available. I would also like to have a scope can. I have been looking. Thanks for the reply.

Hercules

Nigromontanus
09-02-2010, 01:44 AM
This is bmj 85225. I know the last bmj with steyr mounts between 74xxx and 76xxx. From 83xxx all with recoil rings.

Hercules
09-02-2010, 11:55 AM
This point was brought up earlier as well. I would have to say that I do not agree with your serial number summation. After 65 years very few single claw sniper rifles ever in existence are still available for study today. Your theory lacks sufficient quantities of rifles to draw such a conclusion. I can say with 100% certainty that the front occular on this rifle never had the screw holes shown in these pictures.
I would like to see all of the data from your study. If you have all this information it should be in a book for all to see. This forum does provide a great service and it is enjoyable to see that others are interested in the same things I am. Thanks for the response and pictures.

Hercules

Nigromontanus
09-02-2010, 12:03 PM
I think many would like to see my databases. I am working on a book, but still have not decided whether to publish the databases, since so far they are still a means to detect fakes. When published they are just a means to fakers to become better. However, I would be glad to see whether bmj 85229 has no hole on the underside on front ocular and no thread... maybe you could make some pics as well.

Hercules
09-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Here are the pictures. There is not really much to see.

Nigromontanus
09-03-2010, 02:16 PM
For me there is much to see. Unfortunately I cannot personally inspect it. I will wait and see if more data emerges, before I draw a conclusion. Thank you very much, Paul

Dave Roberts
09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I believe and will continue to believe unless more proof comes to light which I think will be not likely because of the info on these BMJ Scope with Recoil Rings and Sunshades were made for LSR Mounts and also if they have the Sunshade these Scopes can not be tilted forward and removed from Rifle as theSunshade hits rear Sight and prevents removal . Also the few Scopes I have seen that are with Recoil Ring and Sunshade that are on SC Rifles all fall in Ser# Range for LSR Mounts & Rifle . Also if some wanted to use this Ser Range BMJ Scope the Sunshade unscrews and is Very easy to change over . To me there really is not
enough proof to strengthen this argument . When I first started Collecting I too had this same thought after seeing the Photo in Senich Book of SC with this type of BMJ Scope with Recoil Ring and Sunshade . Then I started hearing and looking at same type of arguments and opinions I mention and saw I was incorrect in my thoughts , but thats me . Each is welcome to ther opinion . Best Regards

Hercules
09-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I believe and will continue to believe unless more proof comes to light which I think will be not likely because of the info on these BMJ Scope with Recoil Rings and Sunshades were made for LSR Mounts and also if they have the Sunshade these Scopes can not be tilted forward and removed from Rifle as theSunshade hits rear Sight and prevents removal . Also the few Scopes I have seen that are with Recoil Ring and Sunshade that are on SC Rifles all fall in Ser# Range for LSR Mounts & Rifle . Also if some wanted to use this Ser Range BMJ Scope the Sunshade unscrews and is Very easy to change over . To me there really is not
enough proof to strengthen this argument . When I first started Collecting I too had this same thought after seeing the Photo in Senich Book of SC with this type of BMJ Scope with Recoil Ring and Sunshade . Then I started hearing and looking at same type of arguments and opinions I mention and saw I was incorrect in my thoughts , but thats me . Each is welcome to ther opinion . Best Regards

Dave,

This scope never had a sun shade on it. The Germans never had a list of scope serial numbers that I am aware of. That is something some collectors have been using to try to categorize and avoid pitfalls in some cases. If this scope had sun shade it would be hard to remove from the gun, but it does not. I wish I could talk someone into publishing this list of serial numbers. I would be interested in seeing it. I would like to know the number ranges for the SC, Turret, and LSR (for the various different scopes). I have been looking for a Turret and LSR sniper that I like. I would like to know so I can make up my own mind. I am not saying the serial number comparison is completely wrong, but I am saying they are not totally right. I know of a another BMJ scope in this serial range with a recoil ring and no sun shade installed on another SC. Good to hear from you Dave. Thanks.

Hercules

C.P.Goerz
10-05-2010, 02:30 AM
i am a new member at this forum.i signed up yesterday.i have enjoyed reading through this thread.
i have been studying and collecting data on european scopes and mounts for over 30 years.when senich's first paper back book came out in the late 1970s some photos of a single claw with LSR scope.later when i got my own bnz single claw rifle i began to reevaluate that scope used on the bnz single claw rifle.first all the other scopes used with the various types of claw mounts have no fixed sunshades.second the tube diameter of the bmj LSR type scope is larger in diameter than the earlier bmj scopes used with the bnz single claw rifle.the single claw rings are bored to be a close fit to the 26.5mm scope tubes of the earlier bmj and zielvier scopes so the original rings would need to be bored out to the diameter of the bmj LSR scope tube.then the rings would not be compatable with the earlier 26.5mm scopes.
my own Ziess Zielvier #78690 is a triangle marked scope for the bnz SC rifle.i was also wondering about the use of the Zielvier on the bnz SC rifle until i saw the same war photo shown on this thread a couple of years ago.zielvier #78690 also happens to be the earliest triangle marked Zielvier in my zielvier data.

Dave Roberts
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Dave,

This scope never had a sun shade on it. The Germans never had a list of scope serial numbers that I am aware of. That is something some collectors have been using to try to categorize and avoid pitfalls in some cases. If this scope had sun shade it would be hard to remove from the gun, but it does not. I wish I could talk someone into publishing this list of serial numbers. I would be interested in seeing it. I would like to know the number ranges for the SC, Turret, and LSR (for the various different scopes). I have been looking for a Turret and LSR sniper that I like. I would like to know so I can make up my own mind. I am not saying the serial number comparison is completely wrong, but I am saying they are not totally right. I know of a another BMJ scope in this serial range with a recoil ring and no sun shade installed on another SC. Good to hear from you Dave. Thanks.

Hercules

Hercules
If You Have Any of the Sniper Books Look at Law Sniper Book and Robert Spielauers Book
and see for Yourself what the Serial Ranges fall into of the Scope in Question look at LSR`s and Single Claw`s in each book You should be able to see Your Scope is not in Correct serial Range for Your Rifle . You should be able to tell this just from the few Examples in the Books . Also many long time Collectors are all telling You the same thing .
Best Regards . By the Way Wlcome C.P. Goerz

Hercules
10-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Dave,

As always I respect your opinion. Thanks.

Hercules

Duane Gregory
03-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Hay guys,I'm brand new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has seen the single claw sniper rifle for sale on gun broker.

Hercules
03-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Hay guys,I'm brand new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has seen the single claw sniper rifle for sale on gun broker.

In regards to the gunbroker single claw. Pictures are terrible. Gun looks really bad. Rifle, rings, and mounts are Turds or fake. Scope might be good(I would want better pics), but not worth it. There are a lot of fake snipers and the single claw currently on gun broker looks like one. Just my opinion.

Brian

mjn
03-22-2012, 09:46 PM
There are a lot of fake snipers and the single claw currently on gun broker looks like one. Just my opinion.

Brian

Agreed. The bases and mounts are reproduction, with fake serial number stampings added. The mounts do not have the proper hand-filed edges, serial numbers are too small, etc., etc.

Hercules
03-22-2012, 10:32 PM
This is an old thread. I have come around to Dave's way of thinking in the serial number area. I do not think the Germans would have used a LSR scope on a Single Claw. I think Dave is right. I posted this on a new thread, but I wanted to clarify. Picture of correct scope posted with original mounts.

Brian

Duane Gregory
03-23-2012, 01:17 PM
HI Brian,and Thank You very much I had a feeling it was a bad one,just not sure.I know the old saying for every good one there are 10 bad ones.How about the ones that come up at rock island during auction,are they usually good ones or buyer beware ones.Your single claw is beautiful,nice pic of it......Duane

Hercules
03-23-2012, 05:13 PM
HI Brian,and Thank You very much I had a feeling it was a bad one,just not sure.I know the old saying for every good one there are 10 bad ones.How about the ones that come up at rock island during auction,are they usually good ones or buyer beware ones.Your single claw is beautiful,nice pic of it......Duane

Duane,

There have been a couple come up for auction at Rock Island. One of them, if I remember correctly was in Law's book Sniper Variations. It went for quite a bit of money. This is one of the harder 98K Snipers to find. Also, correct scopes and rings are hard to find if not on the rifle. If you look in books there is not a lot good information about this type of sniper rifle. If you are really interested in buying one I would get as many photos as possible and I would be willing to give my opinion. Also, if possible it is good to hold in hand when spending that kind of money, unless you buy from a well known collector with a good reputation. If there was something I was not sure about I know who to ask. The guys on this forum have helped me by discussing several rifles/items that I have been interested in. On this forum we can not post current auctions. I believe there is an exception to this rule if the rifle is a misrepresented fake.

I am always interested in looking at or talking about these rifles and would more than willing to look at any sniper you were interested in. There are several people on here with a lot of knowledge and they are also always helpful. They have defintely pointed me in the right direction in the past. It is always a good idea to have as many people look at what you are interested in as possible, because there is a lot to know and mistakes will cost you money.

If you are interested in buying one I might know someone who has one for sale, but I would have to ask first. You can send me a personal mail on this forum if you are interested. If you are just casually interested at this point, just send me a personal message on here when you find something and I will look at the photos.

Brian

mauser99
03-23-2012, 07:51 PM
here is one I recently saw sell for 2600.00 At least its real..

Duane Gregory
03-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Nice pic's of the claw mount and scope thank you.I will take you up on the offer to help me Brian,I have been looking off and on for about 5 yrs. I don't know why i just really like the single claw mount system.Or maybe it was because my father had one when i was a kid in the 1960's that he used for deer hunting.GOD I wish I had that gun today,all matching and right out of Germany from the war...

Hercules
03-23-2012, 09:47 PM
here is one I recently saw sell for 2600.00 At least its real..

That was on Ebay and was real. That is also a really good price.

Brian

Dave Roberts
03-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Nice pic's of the claw mount and scope thank you.I will take you up on the offer to help me Brian,I have been looking off and on for about 5 yrs. I don't know why i just really like the single claw mount system.Or maybe it was because my father had one when i was a kid in the 1960's that he used for deer hunting.GOD I wish I had that gun today,all matching and right out of Germany from the war...

Duane
I have to Agree with You Completely the SC Sniper in my opinion is the Most Aesthetically Appealing of all the WWII German Sniper Rifles . Always has been and Always will be my Favorite . Best Regards

tonino7
03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Also I like the SC Sniper very much , not only for the looking but also for his noble pedigree : the single claw mount is the son of the mounting sistem adopted from the austro-hungarian army in WWI for the Steyr M95 (like the one in my avatar :biggrin1:)