Third Party Press

DAF Nr.3 on Es340 B buttplate

S/42

Thunda from down unda
Anyone hazard a guess as to what the DAF Nr. 3 marking means? Bought this Es340B with it on there.

No, it is NOT Daffy Duck's rifle! :laugh:

Attachments

• DAF nr3.jpg
    DAF nr3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 95
Deutche Arbeitsfront? With the W indicating the town/district and Weapon #3? First thing that springs to mind.

Good point possibly Ryan.

Was looking for another DSM 34, and that one popped up in my generic "mauser .22" search phrase on GB. I love the B series rifles, and the Buy Now price was GOOD, and potential militia markings, so I grabbed it.

Now to export it :)

Here's the whole rifle.

Totally untocuhed (apart from MAYBE replaced swivels - I have a spare set of Mauser originals anyway). Walnut showing that beautiful rasing of the pores that I (and Bob) love so much.

Can't wait to get it here. All happening as we speak...

Attachments

• pix088937758.jpg
    pix088937758.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 59
  • pix857565519.jpg
    pix857565519.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 49
  • pix503644868.jpg
    pix503644868.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 44
  • pix378552294.jpg
    pix378552294.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 45
  • pix537631292.jpg
    pix537631292.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 45
  • pix471895758.jpg
    pix471895758.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 41
  • pix304682072.jpg
    pix304682072.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 46
  • pix098098606.jpg
    pix098098606.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 46
  • pix232775087.jpg
    pix232775087.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 48
  • pix730262537.jpg
    pix730262537.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 39
It is, and it is sitting in my safe already (landed here about 4 months ago).

Damned accurate little fraulein too. In MUCH better condition than the pictures even showed.

front sight hood doesnt seem original - in my huge jumble of parts I have the same and think it may be off my Walther 22 (60-70's manuf) but might be off something else - can anyone verify that its a Mauser item, if so all the better

the hole near the chamber rhs also intrigues me - my earlier than yours ES Mauser (ser 130k range) does not have a hole at rhs near chamber, is it gas escape hole ?

was the hole a later feature?

I don't recall ever seeing one on any other ES or MS

also someone has removed some of the stock wood immediately behind the bolt release or it might just be missing from accident damage , the missing wood area is visible from both the overhead foto and the side on foto that shows the action and barrel serials, the 'flat' of the stock immediately behind the release should extend from side of action all way to across and not be notched (or stepped)

its had lots of use by all appearances

It is, and it is sitting in my safe already (landed here about 4 months ago).

Damned accurate little fraulein too. In MUCH better condition than the pictures even showed.

There is a SMALL chip out behind the bolt release - a normal area for these to do that, as it is a small exposed piece of wood.

The hoods are correct for these Mausers, though this one is a reproduction of one.

The gas escape holes varied a LOT. All of this (and the hoods) can be readily seen and researched in Jon Speed's book on Mauser .22's.

A lot of use, yes, and with the actual quasi-military lineage, I like it more. Used, but by no means abused. Bore is IMMACULATE, and it drives tacks.

AFAIK the DAF included KdF the holiday and sport and recreational arm for general population so its likely their rifles were being heavily used for entertainment and general sporting activities including some competition target shooting and and mostly handled by persons who had no prior firearms knowledge

Thats interesting about the hood. I don't have Speeds book and won't be buying one as I have been selling books lately not buying more. The hi-qual ex Austrian Gauleiter 1944 made ES on GB recently for $9k+ did not have a gas escape port drilled into action so does Speed attribute a reason for some with some without?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________--

There is a SMALL chip out behind the bolt release - a normal area for these to do that, as it is a small exposed piece of wood.

The hoods are correct for these Mausers, though this one is a reproduction of one.

The gas escape holes varied a LOT. All of this (and the hoods) can be readily seen and researched in Jon Speed's book on Mauser .22's.

A lot of use, yes, and with the actual quasi-military lineage, I like it more. Used, but by no means abused. Bore is IMMACULATE, and it drives tacks.

Military Rifle Journal
Back