Third Party Press

Various "bring backs" my dad passed on to me.

MSPblue

Here is an assortment of a few of the items my dad brought back and gave me to display in my "mancave".

Greg

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 127
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Dad's P.38 collage.JPG
    Dad's P.38 collage.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 124
  • Dad's Ike jacket with jump boots.JPG
    Dad's Ike jacket with jump boots.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Dad's winter overcoat - new at discharge.JPG
    Dad's winter overcoat - new at discharge.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 102
  • grenade fuse and fragments.jpg
    grenade fuse and fragments.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 108
  • Riker display cases with dad's WWII souveniers.JPG
    Riker display cases with dad's WWII souveniers.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 98
Fantastic stuff Greg. The absolute best is your Dad's uniform, boots, etc.

I should also mention the small B & W photo in the first picture is my dad bending down and prying up two ceramic floor tiles from the Reich Chancellery. The tiles can be seen directly below the photo in a small plastic bag. Dad, and a few of his soldier buddies, toured the Chancellery while in Berlin on occupation duty. It was a very large complex and was where Hitler had his office. The Russian guards would not let them into the Furher Bunker but they were able to stand in A/H's office. The Russians demolished the place in the early 1950's using much of the red marble that adorned the place for a Russian war memorial in Berlin. The attached "pre damage" photo I found on the web (author unk). The other two are mine.

Greg

Attachments

• ReichChancellery Mosaic hall b.jpg
    ReichChancellery Mosaic hall b.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Mahlon prying up mosiac tiles in Reich Chancellory Mosaic Hall.jpg
    Mahlon prying up mosiac tiles in Reich Chancellory Mosaic Hall.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Reich Chancellory tiles.JPG
    Reich Chancellory tiles.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 66
WOW! what a great grouping.

The marble is cool. I did the same thing in Iraq - I took a piece of 1" rebar and smashed a chunk of marble from Saddam Hussein's Presidential Palace wall to take home! Priceless.

:biggrin1:

Jeff

Jeff,

I see you are interested in German binoculars. Dad liberated these civilian ones from a German officer POW. They are not marked by the Wehrmacht but I have been told they are very good quality. I have been told that Carl Zeiss is the mother company today.

Greg

Attachments

• Dad's WWII German binoculars - made btw '36 & '43 by Hensoldt, Wetzlar, Germany (4).jpg
    Dad's WWII German binoculars - made btw '36 & '43 by Hensoldt, Wetzlar, Germany (4).jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Dad's WWII German binoculars - made btw '36 & '43 by Hensoldt, Wetzlar, Germany (2).jpg
    Dad's WWII German binoculars - made btw '36 & '43 by Hensoldt, Wetzlar, Germany (2).jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Dad's WWII German binoculars - made btw '36 & '43 by Hensoldt, Wetzlar, Germany (5).jpg
    Dad's WWII German binoculars - made btw '36 & '43 by Hensoldt, Wetzlar, Germany (5).jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for all the kind words,...Turbo Archie,... Dad brought back a couple small pieces of Belgium velvet and that is one of them. It is stamped on the back "Souvenir of Antwerp". The green eagle with spread wings is an arm patch worn by the Werhmacht police officers (like our M.P.'s).

Greg

Greg

Good to see you over here on the Forum.

Those are some fantastic WW2 items and priceless that they belonged to your father.Not often as collectors do we get to see an intact group from WW2 that was brought home by the veteran.To have the uniform and all his bring backs is again simply priceless.Thanks for sharing this outstanding tribute to your father and his history.

RD

new guy here

great photos! I'm hoping I get in the 82nd as I'm getting closer to my initial enlistment. I had the opportunity to purchase a small lot from a lady who didn't want her fathers ww2 stuff. Not near as much as what your dad handed down and mine was from the Pacific. My grandfather unfortunately passed away before I had a chance to meet him and was on the hill when they raised the flag during Iwo Jima. I've got more of an interest in the European campaign than the pacific but both had their differences respectively.

Military Rifle Journal
Back