Third Party Press

Early DUV 44

T

tonapc

I posted this up at gunboards, but Miles asked me to post it here too. I found this at a pawn shop eager to trade it and an enfield for some rifles and shotguns. He said it was his grandfather's bringback. All the serials match. I'll try to get some pics up here soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
a few pics, more comin

Attachments

• IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 70
a few more.............

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 55
Good start

Nice pick up. Don't forget to show pics of the proofs in the wood.

Last edited:
a few more.......

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 32
It appears that the wood may have been lightly sanded or cleaned then a coat of varnish or the like added...not the worst Ive seen by any means

however, the metal looks to be in great condition

you did really well I think, Ive had traded those huntin rifles real quick if it were me!

hard to find with the bolt carrier numbered on top, the muzzle nut is a bonus...this is a very early 1944 rifle

I like it and I wouldnt do anything to it ...OH and I would NOT shoot it if it were mine

Thanks to your input, I have no plans to shoot it. I got some RIG grease and will apply it to the exposed metal parts for storage and also put one of those silicone gun socks over it. Too bad about the sanding and varnishing.
It came with the original sling, but it's so dried out that it's already cracked apart on the loop end. Is saddle soap the appropriate moisturizer for those slings? I'll keep it with the rifle, even though it's broken.

Thanks to your input, I have no plans to shoot it. I got some RIG grease and will apply it to the exposed metal parts for storage and also put one of those silicone gun socks over it. Too bad about the sanding and varnishing.
It came with the original sling, but it's so dried out that it's already cracked apart on the loop end. Is saddle soap the appropriate moisturizer for those slings? I'll keep it with the rifle, even though it's broken.

I wouldnt use saddle soap...buy some Pecard's antique leather dressing (another one I give Hambone credit for)...it is made for old leather is not harsh, will preserve it without changing the color too much and making it look oil soaked...I dont think that saddle soap and the like are good for old leather in the long run

Military Rifle Journal
Back