Third Party Press

French 5cm L. Gr. Mle 37 with Waffen Amts

pzjgr

EOD - bombs and bullets
I took some pics of my demilled French L. Gr. Mle 37 5cm Mortar for a guy on another forum, and thought I would share them here as well.

These apparently were used after capture by German forces, especially Fallschirmjager I am told.

This one has at least two WaA popped on, both on the covers for the leveling bubbles. I am not sure if these were even on the original French mortars, the one on the base seems to have been added, the one on the tube seems to fit in a pre-existing dovetail, so maybe there was one in this position.

I paid very little for this from a guy who didn't know what it was (well, he knew it was a mortar, but not what type, or who used by) so I don't believe they were whacked on to enhance the price....

Attachments

• DSC02464.JPG
    DSC02464.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC02465.JPG
    DSC02465.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC02466.JPG
    DSC02466.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC02467.JPG
    DSC02467.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC02468.JPG
    DSC02468.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02469.JPG
    DSC02469.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02471.JPG
    DSC02471.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
My 37 is much earlier than yours, ser nr just over 5K. It does not have any WaAs anywhere.
Mine is mint, never fired. I also have the fitted canvas/burlap carrying bag and 2 different rounds. Mine is not demilled. I registered it in 68.
Here is a photo, if you recognize the car in the background you will know how long I've had it.
The frogs recaptured a quanity of these at the end of the war and sent them to french Indo China. I have a couple of photos of them in use there.
Sarge

Attachments

• L.Gr. Mle 37.jpg
    L.Gr. Mle 37.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
French Mortar

Here is My M-37 dewat from Viet-Nam with two inert rounds...BILL

Attachments

• 000_0001_00.jpg
    000_0001_00.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 14
Nice stuff! I would much rather have an actual German 5 cm leGrW 36 of course, but this is pretty cool too.

I am wondering on the ones you guys have, are there leveling bubbles installed like on mine, one on the base plate, one on the tube itself? I was wondering of the bubbles were original to the French ones, or added by the Germans...as I said, the only WaA's I have found were on these two leveling bubbles...

Also do either of you know if the regular German 5cm round was useable with these, or did you need to use the French rounds? I assumed you could use the German rounds....but don't know for sure. There is not a lot of info for these around....

Nice stuff! I would much rather have an actual German 5 cm leGrW 36 of course, but this is pretty cool too.

I am wondering on the ones you guys have, are there leveling bubbles installed like on mine, one on the base plate, one on the tube itself? I was wondering of the bubbles were original to the French ones, or added by the Germans...as I said, the only WaA's I have found were on these two leveling bubbles...

Also do either of you know if the regular German 5cm round was useable with these, or did you need to use the French rounds? I assumed you could use the German rounds....but don't know for sure. There is not a lot of info for these around....

My M-37 only has the one original level on the base plate...BILL

Yep, I agree, I would much rather have an L GrW 36, but I take what I can find. Almost had a dewat 15 yrs ago, but it got away from me.

Boy, three (3) 37s and they are all different on the level bit. Strange.
Mine only has one (1) level - on the shank opposite the trigger.
I know of another one (in the 12K ser range) and ask him about this stuff. His has no WaAs and only one (1) level - on the shank like mine.
By the way, my carrying case is totaly unmarked, which to me means it is an original frog made one.
Sarge

Military Rifle Journal
Back