Third Party Press

New G33/40 Addition Arrived

gergnotwen

Rest In Peace
After going to a bunch of disappointing local shows over the last year where there was nothing but humped junk and RC's I was wondering if the collecting gods had shunned me. Fear not collectors, they shined down on me finally and I got very lucky and fell into this newest addition with a nice matching G33/40 to my little collection. I normally stick to matching G/K43's but this one crossed my path and I could not turn it down, I'll leave the K98 minefield up to you guys.

Bought this from the nephew of a vet who used it twice a year deer hunting for many years and didn't want it as he already had a nice deer rifle :biggrin1: The only thing that was done to it was he painted the post of the front sight red with nail polish so he could see it better, but that is it. Just got a chance to tonight to take some photos at my local FFL so I have not had a chance to take it down and photograph internals yet but so far I'm really pleased with it. Solid curly/tiger stripe walnut stock with no finger joints, everything matching (have not pulled the handguard but it looks good so far). Small repairable crack just below the bolt handle running up about 1" up to the mag well... easy fix! Bore looks nice and shiny with no dark spots but I need to clean it well to really check condition. I count eight Waffenampts on the wood as well as the serial number. Metal shows honest use with light wear at the high spots but nothing but a little bit of freckling here and there which should wipe off with a rag and some Ballistol.

Here's some crappy preliminary photos, will take a full set this weekend and post them.

Now if I could only find a cleaning rod and correct bayonet... anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 71
So far so good. No alpha serial? That has the "funny font" almost exclusively found in the dot 1941 no-alpha series. Also, a great shot of the acceptance on the top of the handguard, another 41 characteristic.

"Funny Font" ?

Not sure what you mean on the "funny font", are you talking about the top of the receiver? It is a no letter block in the 800 range, better photos this weekend...

So far so good. No alpha serial? That has the "funny font" almost exclusively found in the dot 1941 no-alpha series. Also, a great shot of the acceptance on the top of the handguard, another 41 characteristic.

Not sure what you mean on the "funny font", are you talking about the top of the receiver? It is a no letter block in the 800 range, better photos this weekend...

The roll stamp looks different than other dot 41's and the dot 42's. It is correct and expected for the no letter block. I will try to get a comparison photo up later today.

More pics

Take more pics of this one. I have been looking to fill in some of my 33/40 holes and have not found many nice rifles in the past 3 years. Good find. :thumbsup:

More Pics This Weekend

Will take it down and photograph all including barrel codes over the weekend, have no fear!

Take more pics of this one. I have been looking to fill in some of my 33/40 holes and have not found many nice rifles in the past 3 years. Good find. :thumbsup:

I see what you mean...

Found a picture online of a "b" block, difference is obvious now I look at the letter block markings. Interesting, was this style font on the earlier rifles built in 1940 "945" coded? the "4" is really obvious...

The roll stamp looks different than other dot 41's and the dot 42's. It is correct and expected for the no letter block. I will try to get a comparison photo up later today.

Attachments

• B Block G43.jpg
    B Block G43.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 63
The bayonet on the G33/40 is subjective. Some claim the dot marked Vz24 bayonet, some say regular K98.

I have seen a few photos of gebirgsjaeger with full kit and g33/40's and BOTH of them had K98 bayonets.

As to the vz24 dot or earlier marked bayonets, Scott benedict had one recently (may still have), and the price is in the expected $300 range. RC Arms advertised a "Vz24" bayonet on Gunboards just the opther day - muzzle ring removed, blued - didn't LOOK like a Vz24 Modified, but it could be a German modded one. Anyway, his price was SCANDALOUSLY low - $29.95!

The News Gets Better...

Thanks for all the info thus far guys, got a chance tonight to strip the gun down and take a couple of notes for those who track such things...

Everything matches, stock and hand guard so I'm relieved! With the amount of gunk and cobwebs under the hand guard and stock I would say no one has taken this one apart for a long time. Ran a couple of patches with Ballistol through and bore is brilliant and shiny with deep rifling. Soaked all the metal with Ballistol to loosen things up until I get a chance to clean things up this weekend, didn't have time to strip the bolt though. I am amazed at the amount of machine work under the wood that was done to lighten this rifle up, now I know why it felt so light when I picked it up, very cool piece. Too dark to take any photos (my wife does not like the smell of Ballistol in the house...) so I packed it in until Saturday or Sunday.

For those that track barrel codes and the like, it has a firing proof, four WaA63 stamps and is coded "dot 14-41 0". Nice deep blue black finish behind all the wood. Serial number 800 - no letter block. Will post detailed photos once I can get to it in the daylight. :thumbsup:

G33/40 Firing Pin Question

Took the rifle down today and took interior photos but ran out of daylight. Only disappointment was finding that the firing pin had been replaced with a K98 numbered part obviously incorrect but everything else checks out and matches. Anyone know if firing pins for the G33/40 were serial numbered to the bolt? I'm thinking a E63 marked pin or even a CZ marked un-numbered pin would be OK, any experts out there want to comment? Anyway, all in all a minor disappointment that may be able to be corrected but I need some help with this question if anyone could check a 1941 out, please let me know what I should look for. :faint:

Took the rifle down today and took interior photos but ran out of daylight. Only disappointment was finding that the firing pin had been replaced with a K98 numbered part obviously incorrect but everything else checks out and matches. Anyone know if firing pins for the G33/40 were serial numbered to the bolt? I'm thinking a E63 marked pin or even a CZ marked un-numbered pin would be OK, any experts out there want to comment? Anyway, all in all a minor disappointment that may be able to be corrected but I need some help with this question if anyone could check a 1941 out, please let me know what I should look for. :faint:

Circle Z or unmarked.

Military Rifle Journal
Back