Third Party Press

my Walther Sportmodell

beemaze

Registered
Recently acquired this via auction. It's a wartime commercial Walther Sportmodell. Eagle over N on the receiver, barrel, and bolt. The bolt handle matches the last three of the serial number. Excellent bluing and the stock is in great shape. Little bit of cracking in the forearm near the barrel band on the left side. Has a Lyman type peep sight that was installed. Unfortunately, the stock had to be cut into near the bolt to fit that. Comes with the Walther banner muzzle cap. Scope rail too (11mm from what I've read elsewhere). Overall just a beautiful piece of machinery to add to my Walther collection.

Earlier this year, I had passed on an a pre-war model on consignment at my local gunstore. I just didn't like the condition (bluing and bore were worn, wood stock had been carved into) and it was overpriced. I could have bargained, but I just didn't like it enough to do so.

I have a few questions about mine:

How do you remove the muzzle cap?

Any idea where to obtain a proper sling for this? Doesn't have to be original, since I have a feeling an original will be hard to find in similar condition.

Should I bother removing that peep sight?

What is the significance of the number 26 on the rear of the receiver below the bolt handle (see pic)? Is it some sort of mismatch or inventory / unit marking?

Here are the pics!

207ni8l.jpg

35hiljk.jpg

1szioi.jpg

13yh6k3.jpg

s5vm6o.jpg

mjmt50.jpg

241rs4h.jpg

353axqw.jpg

I have a few questions about mine:

Any idea where to obtain a proper sling for this? Doesn't have to be original, since I have a feeling an original will be hard to find in similar condition.

Should I bother removing that peep sight?

What is the significance of the number 26 on the rear of the receiver below the bolt handle (see pic)? Is it some sort of mismatch or inventory / unit marking?

The cap is spring loaded; push and twist (gently). There is a fellow selling KKW/DSM style slings on ebay. If you give him good pix he can make a reasonable copy of a period sling. (PM me if you need more info on that.) Regarding the peep, it is possible to remove and make a good restoration. On the other hand, it probably has some utility for target practice. Nice rifle and nice pictures, too. -a.

1. Stand the rifle on the floor with the butt down.
2. Push downward on the muzzle cap and twist gently in a counter-clockwise movement.
3. Pack muzzle cap carefully in a small box.
4. Mail to me!

Nice rifle....

Military Rifle Journal
Back