PDA

View Full Version : k98 sniper vs GEW 98 sniper

agalland
12-01-2011, 01:07 AM
When reading comparisons about WW2 sniper rifles it is not unusal to see the phrase "the short barreled K98" being used in tandem with descriptions of its inferior accuracy compared to some of the other rifles.

So My question is..

How did the long barreled WW1 GEW 98 Snipers stack up against the Short barreled k98 in terms of accuracy...?

Was it the barrel length that was the determing factor in the k98s poor ranking...or the ballistically challenged 8MM.?

I have never read any articles detailing the accuracy of the GEW 98,s.

Bigdibbs88
12-01-2011, 11:52 AM
both are extremely accurate...i have no idea the exact differences in accuracy between the two, but i would venture to guess that the difference in optics (wwii scopes being far superior) would be the deciding factor over bbl length etc. if you cant see it you cant hit it!

WaPrüf2
12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Probably ranges at which used would be factor. Ranges during WWI likely shorter than WW2 given proximity of trenches.

Mr Haney
12-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi
I have a WW1 Gewehr 98 sniper rifle original and I have bcd4 Original sniper rifle. I believe the both will shoot about the same. The WW11 sniper rifle has a better scope. The Gewehr is a 3x power scope and the Bcd4 has 4x power scope. So the WW11 sniper Has a edge.
Best Regards
Bob

agalland
12-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Guess my real question is....

All things being equal...specifically optics....did the gew98,s longer barrel length produce superior accuracy over the carbine length of the mod 98.

Might not be a real answer available from the historical record as it could all be affected by differences in ammo quality twixt the 2 time periods.

Guess the only way to get a definitive is if one could do a direct comparison with all things being as equal as possible...bore condition,optics and ammo...

My question arose from the lower ranking of the k98 vs other period snipers ,and aside from caliber I noticed that some of the other snipers had a sginificantly longer barrel length...although I tend to think caliber played a large role as a smaller caliber has a much flatter trajectory...i.e. 6.5 swiss as an example...but I am not all that familiar on the russian noisy maggot caliber and its ballistic performance.....but it does get high marks in comparison tests with the other guns

just a thought..

michael.guzzi
12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Guess my real question is....

All things being equal...specifically optics....did the gew98,s longer barrel length produce superior accuracy over the carbine length of the mod 98.

Might not be a real answer available from the historical record as it could all be affected by differences in ammo quality twixt the 2 time periods.

Guess the only way to get a definitive is if one could do a direct comparison with all things being as equal as possible...bore condition,optics and ammo...

My question arose from the lower ranking of the k98 vs other period snipers ,and aside from caliber I noticed that some of the other snipers had a sginificantly longer barrel length...although I tend to think caliber played a large role as a smaller caliber has a much flatter trajectory...i.e. 6.5 swiss as an example...but I am not all that familiar on the noisy maggot caliber.

just a thought..

Well, the only thing that I can think of is the greater muzzle velocity of the Gew due to its longer barrel. Dunno if this adds or detracts from accuracy, BTW

BSW 1937
12-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Well, the only thing that I can think of is the greater muzzle velocity of the Gew due to its longer barrel. Dunno if this adds or detracts from accuracy, BTW

A longer barrel is less rigid, so longer doesn't always mean better.
A longer barrel can help to achieve a greater accuracy when you use open sight because the sight line it longer.

By the way, is there such a thing as a 6.5 Swiss? I know only the 6.5X55 from Sweden.

C.P.Goerz
12-16-2011, 11:00 AM
both Gew 98 and K98 could be very accurate with the right ammo and a well bedded stock.have run into more forend bedding problems with the Gew98 stock.the laminated K98 stock was a vast improvement for accruacy.i have read contempory descriptions of the accuracy of various military rifles.most would only group about 3" to 4" at 100m or 100yds.any reloader who reloads for a Gew98 or K98 knows that they are much more accurate than that.i have had many K98 that would shoot 1 1/2" at 100yds with iron sights and under 1" with scope.it looks like the main problem with the contempory reports of lack of accruacy in the Gew98 and K98 was the ammunition available to use not the rifles.the german ammo was made to use in the machine guns not accurate rifles.similar components were used in german WW1 and WW2 ammo except for bullet weight.i have chronographed the 8x57 german military ammo and reloaded ammo using german military components.i usually get 5 shot strings with over 100 fps average even with weighed powder charges.the large velocity spread produces vertical stringing.i have changed the powder to use an IMR powder and improved the accuracy.

BSW 1937
12-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Do you reload using brand you new components also?
If so, what do you use?

For the moment, I use this kind of Sierra bullets (http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=bc&stock_num=2415&bullettype=0) but I'm just at the beginning of the reloading process to optimize the accuracy.