Third Party Press

ZF41/1 scope and mount, original? No "duv" on mount.

Gerard

Collector /Militaria Dealer
Hey guys, just wanted to get some feedback on this scope and mount I have ben offered. The mount has no "duv" on the photos that I can see. Let me know your opinions.

Thanks,

Gerard

forgot the photos-

Attachments

• scope1.jpg
    scope1.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 69
  • scope2.jpg
    scope2.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 96
mount.

get a close up of the waffenampt..it should still be e/214. The mount looks good to me as well..mounts are common some of the scopes are scarce. It might of never been stamped duv ??

IMHO it should be a good set up.

The scope is legit for sure. The designation was changed from ZF40 to ZF40-41 at some point. I have seen no copies done like that.

The eye pieces/sun shield look good (finish).

The mount also looks good and has similar wear and patina when compared to the scope.

Is the scope made by CAG? I have one milled just like that where they changed the number designation (40 to 41) to the right of the Z.F.

I think you have to accept that those mounts could be post war production.

I would say only numbered mounts are for sure WW2 issue..

there should also be a marking on the underside. Looks like there might be one but I can't tell. Should be a letter or a number. Also does it have the marking on the rear of the sight visible from the shooter. k98k zf41 should be etched there.

I think you have to accept that those mounts could be post war production.

I would say only numbered mounts are for sure WW2 issue..

What do you mean by numbered Archie? The SN marks? If so that is not true I have had three late war mounts, two bring backs, that had no SN markings but did have the e214 and duv.

These mounts ( only WaA214) were used for type1 ZF41's for K98's made by Berlin Lübecker Maschinenfabrik .

Attachments

• DSCN4036.JPG
    DSCN4036.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 27
Perhaps they have forget the duv ,or maybe old stock from the Berlin Lübecker Maschinenfabrik . Who knows .

I asked the question for clarification.

If its got a legit German number, then I would think it is for sure WW2 issue.
If its one of those cast (not milled) mounts from Numrich, you know its a post war reproduction.

The rest fall somewhere in between. I have asked the same question about these mounts and never really got a straight answer.
I hang out with guys that have been doing this for a long time and I have been told stories about a guy 20 years ago had a box full of these mounts for $75/each at gun shows which implied that they were reproduction.

So either someone reproduced these mounts back then, or someone found a load of un-issued new old stock.

My guess would be that they are all original because they all look the same and I don't think it would be worth it to reproduce for $75..

Luc, so it just never had a serial stamped on it? The scope is a CAG.

I have always been under the impression that if a mount is not numbered it was never mated with a weapon and issued. If E214 with no duv is a legitimate variation, and I have no reason to doubt Luc, then I would say if everything else looks good it probably is good.

Back in the day, you could apparently buy these things dirt cheap. Centrally planned economies are incapable of rational allocation of resources and often produce massive surpluses in certain goods. There are way more original ZF4 floating around than were probably issued but only a few original mounts, and ZF41 mounts and scopes may have been a similar case. Combine incompetent resource management with production that couldn't really be delivered in 1944-45, and there were probably factories and depots just full of the things. My 2 cents, anyway.

There are three variations :

WaA214

WaA214
DUV

DUV
WaA214

The mounts were numbered to end 43 .

Attachments

• DSCN4036.JPG
    DSCN4036.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN3996.JPG
    DSCN3996.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 35
  • byf 44 zf41 014[1].jpg
    byf 44 zf41 014[1].jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
zf41

look in an old american rifleman mag. you could buy them with a can for under 20 bucks.. they had no real use if you didnt have the rifle. I saw something where some company made a mount so you could use it on a pistol/revolver.

got the scope, looks great and original, but opinions are always welcome...

Attachments

• P1310031.jpg
    P1310031.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P1310032.jpg
    P1310032.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 27
  • P1310033.jpg
    P1310033.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 21
  • P1310034.jpg
    P1310034.jpg