Third Party Press

K98a Rear Sight Question

Hello all i just found the forum, this is my first post. My father passed on to me a K98a stamped Danzig 1909 on the receiver. My father’s uncle was in WW I and sent it home as a war trophy. He told dad when he gave it to him that the German was shooting at him when he shot him and took his rifle. It is missing the rear leaf sight and I want to replace it. I ordered one rear sight set from a guy online but it did not fit. I now know of all the different contracts for the K98s and thought I would ask which is the rear sight that my rifle needs. I can take pics if you need to see it to tell me. Will the standard early K98 sight work? Thanks all

M Leberman

Pictures are best, to know exactly the situation, but you will need a Kar.98a r/s leaf, they are not interchangeable with Gew.98-98k parts generally. You can swap bolts, and a few small parts like followers, floorplates, ebox, but almost nothing else.

Welcome to the forum.

Hello all i just found the forum, this is my first post. My father passed on to me a K98a stamped Danzig 1909 on the receiver. My father’s uncle was in WW I and sent it home as a war trophy. He told dad when he gave it to him that the German was shooting at him when he shot him and took his rifle. It is missing the rear leaf sight and I want to replace it. I ordered one rear sight set from a guy online but it did not fit. I now know of all the different contracts for the K98s and thought I would ask which is the rear sight that my rifle needs. I can take pics if you need to see it to tell me. Will the standard early K98 sight work? Thanks all

M Leberman

Pics of The Rifle

It was actually sunny here today and I took the opportunity of taking a few pics of my K98a and the missing rear sight.

Attachments

• downsize3.jpg
    downsize3.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 48
  • downsize1.jpg
    downsize1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 35
  • downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 40
Looks like you are also missing the fore-end, bayonet stud, bayonet stud retaining pin, stacking hook, stacking hook socket, front end band and retaining screw....

I knew about the forestock and its components and have been keeping an eye for them but was starting with the rear sight to make the weapon functional. If anyone has the components for sale by all means please send me a PM or email. At some point either dad or his uncle took off the forestock for hunting. So will the standard German k98 rear sight and spring work? The other I ordered apparently was Turkish and did not.

Mike

WW1 kar98 and polish k98, both small ring mausers and polish wz29 large ring mauser use the same sight. Also the hungarian 35m, 43m and g98/40 (mannlicher rifles) sights will fit. JL

Military Rifle Journal
Back