PDA

View Full Version : LOW TURRET BYF advice needed

muse
12-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Hi again
this post has already been on an other section of the forum with great advices regarding dating the rifle.

But it is still questionnable regarding the rifle as a sniper rifle.

serial number 18520 i or L probably (scharpnel on the receiver). barrel number: byf1, 44D 321 or 821. Matching Ajack scope and mount.

It looks like a great, used, authentic, not rebuild low turret scope , mount , base and rifle but it is not a low turret as we expect to find.
there are several differences:

The Waa 135 is not on the right side od the serial number but under.
The front base has a W at the back . There is a number 1 inside which is more classical.
The rear base has not the notch usually found on low turret base, but there is a Waa135.

Both base are well solder with marks of tin and the screws looks correct as well.

I would like to know your opinion about that sniper rifle.

mauser99
12-15-2011, 10:11 AM
I dont like the added proof on the side of the receiver. Other than that it looks pretty convincing..

Hercules
12-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Hi again
this post has already been on an other section of the forum with great advices regarding dating the rifle.

But it is still questionnable regarding the rifle as a sniper rifle.

serial number 18520 i or L probably (scharpnel on the receiver). barrel number: byf1, 44D 321 or 821. Matching Ajack scope and mount.

It looks like a great, used, authentic, not rebuild low turret scope , mount , base and rifle but it is not a low turret as we expect to find.
there are several differences:

The Waa 135 is not on the right side od the serial number but under.
The front base has a W at the back . There is a number 1 inside which is more classical.
The rear base has not the notch usually found on low turret base, but there is a Waa135.

Both base are well solder with marks of tin and the screws looks correct as well.

I would like to know your opinion about that sniper rifle.

The finish/pitting on the front scope mount and receiver not the same. I think they should be unless the scope was added later. Also, the WaA135 on the receiver does not look like the examples I have seen. Receiver looks messed with and reblued. I think the rear base should have the slot you discuss (At least the low turret bases I have seen had the slot in rear base). Rear base looks like a rear base from High Turret. I really do not like the machine work on the bases either. I would be doubtful of the authenticity just from the pictures presented here. I think it is possible the scope and rings are original.

Brian

Bigdibbs88
12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
im not a fan of that proof on the rec either.

C.P.Goerz
12-16-2011, 10:08 AM
looks like a repro sniper using and original scope.mount repro.rifle not original sniper with repro mount.

Dave Roberts
01-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Scope & Rings are Original . I do not like the Bases and just in case no one noticed the Rear Base is in fact a HT Base . I know LT Rear Base were in fact used on the HT but definitely not HT Rear Base on a LT . Best Regards .

sharp
01-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Is there a maker's mark at the heel of the receiver? Looks like a small letter "b". You will have to remove the bolt to see it. This is what it looks like on my LT.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z242/mauser_album/Low%20Turret/lowturretinspectormark.jpg

vintagescope
01-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Are you sure Ajack on this serial range is like this ?

muse
01-08-2012, 10:31 AM
no, I am not sure of anything about that rifle.

Are you sure Ajack on this serial range is like this ?

muse
01-14-2012, 01:41 AM
new informations on this LT

there is no maker's mark on the heel of the receiver BUT there is a RW mark used at Mauser plant on the underside of the receiver (picture).

what is the exact meaning of that mark ???
did the german take time to fix, repair standard K98 or only sniper K98 ???
is this marking can be found on standard K98 ???

regards

muse
01-14-2012, 06:25 AM
an other RW marking and an other one the barrel, just above de byf1. meaning ???
Does anybody have an idea ?
regards

muse
01-14-2012, 12:58 PM
thanks voigtlander

Dave Roberts
01-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Muse
Can You get the Scope Serial #s It is on Opposite side of were Ajack 4X90 is it
Should be in Serial Range 4x260 which I believe is the Number of the one I Pictured
I need to get the Exact Number . The Scope and Bases in Pic is one I traded with a
Friend for a LT Zeiss Zielvier Norinab Scope . See if You can get Serial Number .Best Regards

muse
01-15-2012, 01:32 AM
hello
scope number is 45031
regards

Dave Roberts
01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
The Scope is in the Correct Serial Range for Ajack LT
But as mentioned the Base Rifle is Not Correct . Best Regards