PDA

View Full Version : ZF41 Scope Can

agentcq
01-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Below are some pictures of a ZF41 scope can I purchased from Northridge Int. out of CA.

I am curious whether it is original or not? They are selling the scope cans as original but nevertheless I am suspicious as the commercial marking on the latch doesn't have the small "u" under the triangle.

If I could get some help it would be greatly appreciated.

If people don't think it is real, it would be greatly appreciated if they could support their opinion.

Thank you

gergnotwen
01-07-2012, 09:26 PM
I dug up my one "desert tan" ZF41 scope and can and took a look and compared them and I'm not feeling the love on the one you posted photos on...
The web strap does not look like the correct material and the end where it is folded over and stitched is backwards. All six of my ZF41 cans have web straps like the one shown in my photos. Also the web strap should be the dark green color not tan as well. The three rivet heads where the strap is attached to the can are not visible which makes me very suspicious, these should be clearly visible. The small "u" or "L" in the triangle is clearly visible on all of my cans including the tan one with the ring type pull (all the others have the small web tab). Not also that the red primer is clearly visible below the tan paint as well which is present on nearly every scope can produced by "jvb" and I don't really see that on your example. Check the small screw on the bottom under the web, it should be a small oval head, not a flat head or a round head - this is a dead giveaway on most fake cans. Also look at the top seam where the metal is butted together inside the top, most if not all the real cans this seam is nearly invisible, however yours is clearly visible and separated and does not match the metal finishing done typically. I'd like to hear from some others on this as well!

mrfarb
01-07-2012, 09:52 PM
I agree, it looks like the typical repros. It doesn't compare well to mine either, except my seam is visible on the inside like his. Still, I think that can is a repro.

Winchester Cowboy
01-07-2012, 11:12 PM
There were lots of fake zf41 cans that came out of France about 13-15 years ago. On some of them, the metal band over the web strap was so rusty underneath that it would just break off with just a little force from your fingers! This was one of the complaints on the old and first G43 Forum that Darren Weaver had. There's other things that the French didn't get right on the repros.

Northridge seems to have sold lots of repro G43 and G41 parts in the past like butt plates that didn't fit, G41 zf41 scope mounts, etc....

Luc
01-08-2012, 03:47 AM
That can is 100% repro.

agentcq
01-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Thank you for the information.

Northridge has been good to me in the past and it is hard to judge an item sight unseen or without an original example to compare to. With a midsize company, you would also like to have some buyer confidence.

I had some bad feelings about this can and after the feedback would agree that it is more than likely a fake from Europe. Good, but not good enough.

Cheers

Winchester Cowboy
01-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Seems a little steep for $595.00 for a repro. Will they take it back?

agentcq
01-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I want to say that I paid about $400 for the can about two years ago. I called them and pointed out that the can is fake, I think doing this is important as they are still selling these as "original cans" on there website. They said they would need to think things over and call me back. If I had ordered it recenlty I could return it, but I might be out of luck.

I don't know if they are hawking them off as being original or just don't know better.

That is the sad thing, there are many devious people selling fake kit, but even more honest people selling kit that they believe is original because some a..hole sold them fake kit in the first place.

Knowledge and sites like this are key and there is always a steep learning curve. This will be the most expensive item that I have been "had" on. Luckily I have more experience now than I did two years ago.

Thank you