Third Party Press

Help interpreting markings on Czech post-war 98k

wufnu

Recently bought a Czech 98k (as yet undelivered), my first 98k. I have a Danzig 1916 G98 but I feel I'm doing history a disservice shooting the thing, always wanted a k98 (prefer WWI stuff myself but, again... slowly destroying an ancient artifact by using it), and figured a cheaper non-German k98k would be the way to go.

I've spent the past week or so going through markings, reading histories, etc. but the markings on this gun confound me. Here is an Imgur album of photos with notes, for folks of the future reading this that aren't registered.

For starters, it has the BRNO marking on the side which I seem to have read means that it is a post-war rifle. The receiver top is bare, which I believe would make it "for export" after they decided not to put crest on exported rifles. No crest, no lion, no shield with a 13 inside, no dot, etc. The hole in the butt plate, the circle-T markings, and lack of Waffenamt markings further supports it being a post-war rifle, I think? However, there are no rampant lion proofs, no stamped trigger guard, and does not have crossed sword markings, all of which folks say should be on the post-war rifles. Further, mine has a cleaning rod and a finger-groove-less stock, neither of which are features seemingly found on post-war rifles.

There is an S after the serial number, whatever that means (I think someone said it's a lot code used after the war?). Below the serial is a marking, "E3" which I have no idea what that is. I seem to remember E22 and E23 meant they were for domestic use but I haven't seen anything on E3. On the right side of the barrel is a marking "LO" which I thought was the country code for Slovakia but someone else said it was a steel lot code and a very, very late one at that . I have no idea. There was another guy with the same marking but his had the shield with the 13 in it whereas mine does not.

There is also a code, 24G154 which I can't seem to find anything on. Someone else on this forum had a 24G155 and someone else (different forum I think) had a 24G152 but nobody seemed to know what those were.

Also, my bolt has a guide rib on it. I think I remember reading that they stopped putting those on there but I don't know if that was just the late war or if it includes post-war as well.

The mag cover has lined out numbers and re-stamps to match the serial of the other components. However, I don't know if that was due to rework or replacement of the cover or if they just had a bunch of old covers laying about the place and didn't want to waste them.

I got this to be a shooter, and ultimately it doesn't matter much, but these contradictory features are just perplexing. Unlocking histrays mistrays... Any insights appreciated.

When I get the rifle, I can tear it down and look for markings below the stock but I'm not sure it's worth it if it's a franken-Mauser.

Attachments

• 002-3559.jpg
    002-3559.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 003-7253.jpg
    003-7253.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 004-9670.jpg
    004-9670.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 005-7553.jpg
    005-7553.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 010-4495.jpg
    010-4495.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 014-9297.jpg
    014-9297.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200619031907-2106.jpg
    20200619031907-2106.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 29
Oh so many questions. There are probably more marks that would help us including under the wood line. Look on your bolt root for any proof marks on the rear face and particularly underneath the root for acceptance. Your receiver originally was produced at Brno probably 1937. The LO is indeed a Nazi steel lot code for that barrel. The barrel stamps wrap around and are often under the wood depending on how it clocked. The floor plate is a later ('42 on) Astrawerke supplied piece most likely originally going to Gustloff. The line out and reserial looks legit.

I'd look very carefully over the whole rifle and take photos of anything you can find. Look especially close on the keel of the stock behind the trigger guard.

Thanks for the tips of where I might find more markings.

When the rifle has arrived, I will tear it down and look for other hidden marks as you've suggested.

Thanks again!

Here is the receiver marking on my postwar used German marked dou45 rifle.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 25

Military Rifle Journal
Back