Third Party Press

Late war P-38 question

Kammerjaeger

I am being told on another forum that late war P-38"s, particularly ac (Walther) P-38's had a propensity for cracked slides. Mostly they are stating it occured with ac44/ac45. Is there a shred of truth to this? I know cracked slides happen, but was there a tendancy for this, particularly with the late war models? For that matter, are wartime P-38's, particularly late war P-38's safe to fire today with standard 9mm loads (non +p)?

I suppose there must have been some generic issue with the P-38 slide, otherwise why did they eventually go to a fat slide post war? I'm confused.

Thanks guys.

KJ

I am being told on another forum that late war P-38"s, particularly ac (Walther) P-38's had a propensity for cracked slides. Mostly they are stating it occured with ac44/ac45. Is there a shred of truth to this? I know cracked slides happen, but was there a tendancy for this, particularly with the late war models? For that matter, are wartime P-38's, particularly late war P-38's safe to fire today with standard 9mm loads (non +p)?

I suppose there must have been some generic issue with the P-38 slide, otherwise why did they eventually go to a fat slide post war? I'm confused.

Thanks guys.

KJ

There are instances of cracked slides on P38 pistols, but as far as I know it's throughout WW2 production and not just late ones. Its one reason I never shoot my WW2 P38 pistols that are collectible condition.

I believe part of the issue with frames cracking is due to weakened springs (65-70 years old) in combination with hot loads. Weak springs allow the slide to slam back and then front causing fatigue to the slide. New springs will buffer this a bit. I do shoot an ac43 with replacement spings. I have the original springs stored and marked accordingly. I only shoot this ac43 which is matching but only 85% finish condition.
I am an engineer and familiar with heat treated steel testing be it driveline components. I also believe it is not specific to late war pistols.
Mike

Military Rifle Journal
Back