Third Party Press

New guy - need help identifying this G24(t)

SpecialK

Guys,

New to the forum, and trying to find out more about this G24(t) I have. It is a dou 41.

My uncle brought the rifle back from Germany after WWII and gave it to my father. My father hunted a little with it, and gave it to me in about 1975. To my knowledge, it has not been modified since my uncle brought it back, but I can't be sure. I know it has not since I've had it.

Everything looks about like the other G24(t) pics I've seen on this site and others, except that I haven't seen a stock quite like this one. Also, the bolt has no number, and it looks like it has tool marks on top.

Can anyone help with what this might be? Is it just a cluged together weapon with an aftermarket stock?

Any help would be appreciated. If there are another pics or info needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-20120112-00090.jpg
    IMG-20120112-00090.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-20120112-00078.jpg
    IMG-20120112-00078.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20120112-00082.jpg
    IMG-20120112-00082.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-20120112-00084.jpg
    IMG-20120112-00084.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 19
Nah, it was probably brought back complete, then sporterized....very common. The guys coming back from the war didn't see them as collectible or valuable (usually). Just spoils of war, and if they could make a hunting rifle out of them, they did.

Never quite understood what lopping off the stock did to make it a better hunting rifle, but there it is. My granfather brought back a Luger, and replaced the grips with clear plexiglass grips. Why? He liked them better...

I did see a completely chromed MP-40 once...talk about pimping things out!

Have you looked on the inside of the stock, in the channel? Good shot it has the original serial number there. Most of these sporters were done to make them look more like the Winchester and Remington bolt guns of the day hence the chopped down lumber and turned down bolt.

Thanks. I wondered about that. Looks like the entire stock was replaced, then. It shoots well, and is a good, clean weapon. Guess I can't ask for more than that.

At least he didn't modify the 1915 Baretta 9mm he brought back, though.

I'll check the inside channel. I've had it completely broken down, but don't remember seeing one there. There is a number on the butt plate, but it does not match the metal pieces S/Ns at all.

I'll check the inside channel. I've had it completely broken down, but don't remember seeing one there. There is a number on the butt plate, but it does not match the metal pieces S/Ns at all.

Any imperial german markings on the butt plate? Similiar to the marking on the cross lug? I'm starting to think it might be a cut down Gew98 stock.

None that I can tell. The butt plate has a little more corrosion than the reast of the weapon, but the number 2659 is clearly visible below the lower screw.

I attached a photo of the lower half of the butt plate that I may not have included before.

Attachments

• IMG-20120112-00085.jpg
    IMG-20120112-00085.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 12
None that I can tell. The butt plate has a little more corrosion than the reast of the weapon, but the number 2659 is clearly visible below the lower screw.

I attached a photo of the lower half of the butt plate that I may not have included before.

Look just above the screw, there's an Imperial German crown acceptance mark. As I stated before I stand corrected, the stock was originally off of a German Gew98 rifle and cut down for this sporter project.

Look just above the screw, there's an Imperial German crown acceptance mark. As I stated before I stand corrected, the stock was originally off of a German Gew98 rifle and cut down for this sporter project.

Oh, yeah. I can see it in the photograph. Thanks for pointing that out. That would explain the thinness of the butt plate and the sling swivel holes (swivels have apparently been lost somewhere through the years).

Just one last question -- in its current condition, does the weapon have any particular collector value (other than being a fine rifle just for shooting)? I have no plans whatsoever for selling it, but would like to know for myself.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Oh, yeah. I can see it in the photograph. Thanks for pointing that out. That would explain the thinness of the butt plate and the sling swivel holes (swivels have apparently been lost somewhere through the years).

Just one last question -- in its current condition, does the weapon have any particular collector value (other than being a fine rifle just for shooting)? I have no plans whatsoever for selling it, but would like to know for myself.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
No real monetary value as too many original parts are gone. Having said that the fact that it has family lineage from your uncle to your dad to you is somewhat nice. G.24(t)'s are desireable and you could somewhat restore it with everything but a barreled receiver from a vz24. Just be aware that it wouldn't necessarily be 'worth' more than the parts but it would still be fun to do.

Military Rifle Journal
Back