Third Party Press

Imperial G98 bolt marking question...

rockisle1903

The bolt is an imperial german g 98 bolt with the lions proof with some additional markings and i wondered what they were....thanks

Attachments

• a 1 809.jpg
    a 1 809.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Does the lion look like these? The lion is the Bavarian fireproof, found on the receivers and bolts of Gewehrs made by the Bavarian Royal Arsenal, Amberg. Can't help you on the other marks, as far I know they are leftovers from the forging process.

Attachments

• Amberg Fire Proof Bolt.jpg
    Amberg Fire Proof Bolt.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Amberg Fire Proof Receiver.jpg
    Amberg Fire Proof Receiver.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 27
It has a lion as such....and i've seen forging markings ....but these look deliberate...like it was scrubbed and these marks added...IMO....I found this bolt in an all matching polish wz 29 from 1938 crest intact....thanks again for replying...

I agree, they do look deliberate, and I'm sure they had a purpose at some point when the bolt was being made. Most if not all of my bolts have some sort of markings is that location. I just don't believe that stamps were applied there when the rifles were completed.

One exception does come to mind. When the bolts were bent for Kolonial rifles the armorer who did the work stamped the bolt root. Unfortunately I do not have an example to illustrate such marks.

Attachments

• Bolt.jpg
    Bolt.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Bolt Root.jpg
    Bolt Root.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 22
They share the same characteristics as the Amberg receivers (under the wood line at the joint where the siderail starts). The purpose is not known, but they seem to have some purpose with assembly, some seem to have a dating characteristic (4C8- the 8 being 1918, - most are 1917 or 1918 dated and end with 7 or 8 respectively). Wolfgang was working on this and I was trending them but haven't recently.

I doubt the purpose would reveal much if it were pursued, as it probably served some purpose for the manufacturer, assembly perhaps, but I can't see it aiding in the understanding of the rifles today.

Thanks Simson for clarifying the use ....It looked scrubbed to me and those marks added....thanks for the added info....

Military Rifle Journal
Back