Third Party Press

byf 45 P 38 questions

mauser202

I looked at a byf 45 p38 at the last show , dual tone I think it was a e block all matching. It han a mirror boar fn ( 140 ) barrel and a mag with the ridge on the follower. I have bought from the seller befor and he is honest, he wanted 1k for it. I dont collect P 38s but would like to get one. Was that a fair price?

Conditon

I looked at a byf 45 p38 at the last show , dual tone I think it was a e block all matching. It han a mirror boar fn ( 140 ) barrel and a mag with the ridge on the follower. I have bought from the seller befor and he is honest, he wanted 1k for it. I dont collect P 38s but would like to get one. Was that a fair price?

Dual tones are common. That is a fair price if the gun had a finish of 96 % or better.

Do you mean a byf44 marked slide ? I ask becuase there are no known examples of a byf 45 marked P38's.
Mauser used up thier remaining byf44 slides, and then used the 'svw45' marking.

I have never seen an e/140 marked Barrel. I thought FN made only Frames and Slides for the P38.
fnh, e/waA76, marked barrels do abound. Mauser used very few of them though and an example would be scarce. I think Walther and Spreewerk got most of them. With the lions share going to Walther. These fnh barrels pop up in the AC45 "b" and "C" letter blocks.

Last edited:
I think you are correct as to it being marked byf 44.The dealer said that the block it was in was right before or mixed in with the svw 45. I think he said prodeution was march of 45. I am positive that the barrel was e140 marked, as I asked him about it and he started to tell me all about the fn made parts. He is a big collector of P 38s and had about 15 that he was moving out of his collection on his table.

locking block

I think you are correct as to it being marked byf 44.The dealer said that the block it was in was right before or mixed in with the svw 45. I think he said prodeution was march of 45. I am positive that the barrel was e140 marked, as I asked him about it and he started to tell me all about the fn made parts. He is a big collector of P 38s and had about 15 that he was moving out of his collection on his table.

Was it the barrel or the locking block marked 140 ? Fn made blocks but not barrels.

Was it the barrel or the locking block marked 140 ? Fn made blocks but not barrels.

Not sure what you mean,I dont have a P 38 so I am not familar with the parts. Does the locking block come off with the barrel? I was holding the barrel in my hand and I think it was the breach end that was maked 140.

Not sure what you mean,I dont have a P 38 so I am not familar with the parts. Does the locking block come off with the barrel? I was holding the barrel in my hand and I think it was the breach end that was maked 140.

The locking block is in the white in the attached pic.

Attachments

• P38lb.jpg
    P38lb.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 25

Military Rifle Journal
Back