Third Party Press

Identify please!

mfzr01

G'day.

Can anyone identify this scope and rifle from the movie enemy at the gates?

I figure that seeing as it has the single claw, it should be a BNZ or a CE but the scope???

Thanks

mfzr01

Attachments

• EATGK98sniper-2.jpg
    EATGK98sniper-2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 126
BNZ with SC mount, Voigtländer Ebra 8x scope.
This scope was not used in real.

Thanks to "Voigtländer" for the answer, on another forum :hail:

In other words, the rifle was a fantasy piece created by Hollywood for the movie.

The wide use of the PU rifle in the movie was also incorrect. The PU was not introduced until late in 42. Since Field Marshal Von Paulus signed the surrender on Jan. 31, 1943 not many PU's were in the system. Vassily was more than likely still using a PEM side mount rifle. The majority of the Russian sniper rifles would have been earlier production rifles to include the PEM side mount, the PE top mount and the SVT. Late in the battle PU's would become more available but the movie showing only PU's in use is also Hollywood liberties with the truth.

In other words, the rifle was a fantasy piece created by Hollywood for the movie.

The wide use of the PU rifle in the movie was also incorrect. The PU was not introduced until late in 42. Since Field Marshal Von Paulus signed the surrender on Jan. 31, 1943 not many PU's were in the system. Vassily was more than likely still using a PEM side mount rifle. The majority of the Russian sniper rifles would have been earlier production rifles to include the PEM side mount, the PE top mount and the SVT. Late in the battle PU's would become more available but the movie showing only PU's in use is also Hollywood liberties with the truth.

The PU's would have been easier for the film makers to find (or have made). There aren't many side mounted rifles around.

When I first started collecting I was like most ,I went nuts over this Sniper Rifle . But like all I found out FANTASY . well at least the Scope used . But one thing I found was the Sniper was Built by Trans Arms in Germany and the Rings and Bases are none other than Robert Spielauer`s as I contacted Trans Arms and was told by the owner this is were Mounts came and also all the Guns were supplied by Trans Arms for the Film Enemy at the Gates. Thought some may find this interesting . Best Regards

Last edited:
Thanks all for the info. I originally bought a 98 with the intention of converting it to one of those, but through sheer dumb luck the Mauser I bought was a 1941 Portugese and all matching. I knew nothing of mausers when I bought it, and now.... well I definately wont be covering up the Portugese crest with a repro scope base! Need another 98 now. And thats not a bad thing......

Thanks all for the info. I originally bought a 98 with the intention of converting it to one of those, but through sheer dumb luck the Mauser I bought was a 1941 Portugese and all matching. I knew nothing of mausers when I bought it, and now.... well I definately wont be covering up the Portugese crest with a repro scope base! Need another 98 now. And thats not a bad thing......

Or you can directly buy a K98 with a scope made by the same company that has provided the movie's rifles:
http://www.transarms.de/produkte/sammlerwaffen/langwaffen/

The one with the Zielsechs is the closer to what you want.

I have noticed the dial which is different from the usual ones I have seen.

I also think it is impossible to remove the scope from the rifle without first removing it from the rings.

Hello all,

I would like to know were the info came from that the Ebra marked scopes are a line of scopes made by the voigtlander company?? I find it odd that Voigtlander serialed every scope since 1897 but stopped with the Ebra line?? I have found no documention to this effect. I would like to gather more info on this.

later
vaughn

Maybe this question was answered earlier on.

EBRA is the abbreviation for the E. Brautsch company in Berlin.
Their scopes are still listed in the 1952 Waffenlexikon by Marholdt.
Thanks
Wolfgang

Hello all,

I would like to know were the info came from that the Ebra marked scopes are a line of scopes made by the voigtlander company?? I find it odd that Voigtlander serialed every scope since 1897 but stopped with the Ebra line?? I have found no documention to this effect. I would like to gather more info on this.

later
vaughn

Military Rifle Journal
Back