PDA

View Full Version : Repro sniper build up.

mfzr01
02-12-2012, 01:18 AM
G'day,
Repro K98 snipers are very hard to come by in my corner of the world, and once in a while the right combination of rifle and scope may appear for sale in various places.

Now, On page 21 of Backbone of the Wehrmacht Vol 2 Sniper variations, there is a picture of a 1935 S42/G Mauser Oberndorf with a type 2 SSR and an SS Dienstglas AJACK 4x90 scope serial 39604.

My question is this...

If I were to aquire a 1937 S42 Mauser Obendorf, and a type 2/3 SSR, and a properly marked SS Diestglas AJACK scope serial no 37409, would this be 'period' correct? I know enough that I wouldnt go putting a set of single claw or high turret mounts on the rifle, but I cant find any info on what was used in 1937 in the Backbone book, and I know its not perfect, but if I were to go ahead and spend the hard earned coin, I damn sure want the most accurate repro components I can find.

So, S42/G or S42. Does it make a difference?

Thanks

Chris

agentcq
02-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Good question, I took out Senich's book on snipers and it looks like the SS used converted Gew rifles to make there snipers but that they also had some S42's. Ajack's was a popular scope manufacture for SS snipers.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

C.P.Goerz
02-12-2012, 06:58 PM
you are looking at the book photos but you are not coming to the right conclusion.
the rifle in photo is not a Mauser made K98.it has some parts on it that were made by mauser S/42 code with a G date code of 1935.so the rear sight base was made by mauser in 1935.the rifle is a WW1 Gew98 converted to a K98 for the SS.these conversions can have been done from the late 1930s into the 1940s.the SS gew98 conversions have commercial proof marks.a rifle proofed before April 1940 will have crown N proof and proof bullet weight marking on the left side of the receiver ring.a rifle proofed after April 1940 will have an eagle over N proof marking on the right side of the receiver ring.if there is a military proof mark on the receiver ring it will be an old imperial proof or Weimar period proof.
the SS reworks could have been built using good Gew98 or Kar98b rifles with the barrels and stocks shortened.or the rifle could have been built up from just an action with new barrel and stock.i think many of these rifles were supplied through the german gunsmiths guild so there are a lot of variations on the type of parts used to build the rifles for the SS.
1937 is to early for a K98 sniper rifle.the sniper rifles used by the german army were recalled back to the depots.sniper rifles were not considered again until 1939.the Ajack 4x90 was not introduced until 1938.what sniper rifle the army was using was the Kar98b until the introduction of the K98 low turret sniper in 1939.the SS just had a few regiment sized units until 1940.they were mainly pulling guard duty and parading in 1938 and 1939.the german army had to rediscover how to apply the sniper in the mobile war of 1939 and 1940.

mfzr01
02-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info. Am I right in thinking then, that there were no K98 sniper rifles at all in that period?

Is there any information anywhere, that has a list of what scope was used on which rifle and when?

C.P.Goerz
02-15-2012, 01:28 AM
i have been studying the german telescopes and mounts and sniper rifle for over 30 years.i am still learning and making notes.
there is no definitive table or listing rifle telescopes used or when they were used or with what rifles they were used on.
it looks like the demand for sniper rifles increased in 1941 after experiences in the balkans and greece and russia.
after 1941 it looks like the commercial scopes sought after for sniper use were the 4x and 6x telescopes made by the 4 manufacturers still in business,Zeiss,Hensoldt,Ajack,Kahles.in warphotos the commercial type scopes seen are from the 1930s.
the rifle scopes and scope mounts were reused when the rifle became damaged or worn out.i had one low turret front ring that had 3 mauser rifle numbers stamped on it.

Dave Roberts
02-15-2012, 03:55 PM
i have been studying the german telescopes and mounts and sniper rifle for over 30 years.i am still learning and making notes.
there is no definitive table or listing rifle telescopes used or when they were used or with what rifles they were used on.
it looks like the demand for sniper rifles increased in 1941 after experiences in the balkans and greece and russia.
after 1941 it looks like the commercial scopes sought after for sniper use were the 4x and 6x telescopes made by the 4 manufacturers still in business,Zeiss,Hensoldt,Ajack,Kahles.in warphotos the commercial type scopes seen are from the 1930s.
the rifle scopes and scope mounts were reused when the rifle became damaged or worn out.i had one low turret front ring that had 3 mauser rifle numbers stamped on it.

This Is a Very Good Point You bring up with the Scope and Rings being reused when and if possible , many collectors dismiss this as Fiction or Nonsense which could not be Further from the Truth . This would make a great thread . I have one BYF45 HT that has a Scope and Rings that had Original Rifle # over stamped most likely at the factory . Three Different Variants I have seen are (Numbers Lined Out) (Numbers XXXXed Out) and (Numbers Over Stamped) Pic of Over Stamped Example added and Rifle Totally Matching HT . Best Regards

vintagescope
02-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Do you have picture from Ajack 37409 ?
For me , it's outside SS Dienstglas serial range !

Dave Roberts
02-19-2012, 02:55 PM
G'day,
Repro K98 snipers are very hard to come by in my corner of the world, and once in a while the right combination of rifle and scope may appear for sale in various places.

Now, On page 21 of Backbone of the Wehrmacht Vol 2 Sniper variations, there is a picture of a 1935 S42/G Mauser Oberndorf with a type 2 SSR and an SS Dienstglas AJACK 4x90 scope serial 39604.

My question is this...

If I were to aquire a 1937 S42 Mauser Obendorf, and a type 2/3 SSR, and a properly marked SS Diestglas AJACK scope serial no 37409, would this be 'period' correct? I know enough that I wouldnt go putting a set of single claw or high turret mounts on the rifle, but I cant find any info on what was used in 1937 in the Backbone book, and I know its not perfect, but if I were to go ahead and spend the hard earned coin, I damn sure want the most accurate repro components I can find.

So, S42/G or S42. Does it make a difference?

Thanks

Chris

Just wanted bring Up one Point that many of the Newer Collectors might be Unaware of , there were a Number of the Ajack 4x90`s that were used on the SS SSR`s that do not have SS-Dienstglas markings Exact Numbers Unknown as only a small Number are in Collections . Instead this Early Variant or what most Collectors who Know about these Scopes are Known as 1st Variation without SS Dienstglas. Markings on 1st Variant are Right Side Saddle Ser. No#XXXXX Left Side 4X90 and Left Side Scope Tube Rifle Ser. No#XXXX . For those who have Spielauer Book one is shown on Pg 112 1st printing and Pg 131 2nd printing But I will say there will always be those whom say it is nonsense because it falls out side the Known Norm Best Regards