Third Party Press

ar44 WaA26 Proofed HT finished at Oberndorf

Dave Roberts

Is that a scope you have in your pocket?
Staff member
Hope You guy`s find this Interesting . Also hope I named the Thread Correctly . I will deferr this to Bruce , Mike or Craig . If not I will hear about it for sure . An a$$ Whooping will be coming my way
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• DSC02952.jpg
    DSC02952.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC02953.jpg
    DSC02953.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC02954.jpg
    DSC02954.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC02955.jpg
    DSC02955.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC02956.jpg
    DSC02956.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC02957.jpg
    DSC02957.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC02959.jpg
    DSC02959.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC02960.jpg
    DSC02960.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC02961.jpg
    DSC02961.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC02962.jpg
    DSC02962.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC02963.jpg
    DSC02963.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC02964.jpg
    DSC02964.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC02965.jpg
    DSC02965.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC02967.jpg
    DSC02967.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC02968.jpg
    DSC02968.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC02972.jpg
    DSC02972.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 131
Hey dave,

any pics of the Right Receiver?? how come letter block is missing from bolt root?? rework bolt? E655 cocking piece??

later
vaughn

Well, not sure the meaning of an Astrawerke e/26 HT finished at MO?

A very confused description for sure.. Astrawerke was a parts supplier only and used "l/L" and carried the Chemnitz area acceptance e/1, they had no role in making rifles beyond providing receivers and a few parts. The waffenamt e/26 was responsible for much of the Berlin area, MauserB included, and anything finished at MauserO would have e/135 acceptance mid-war on?

No biggie but I got hooked on the topic/subject line cruising through the forum as I had to see what a Astrawerke HT was!

Hope You guy`s find this Interesting . Also hope I named the Thread Correctly . I will deferr this to Bruce , Mike or Craig . If not I will hear about it for sure . An a$$ Whooping will be coming my way
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey dave,

any pics of the Right Receiver?? how come letter block is missing from bolt root?? rework bolt? E655 cocking piece??

later
vaughn

Vaughn
I am not sure as to why it`s missing the letter block , but it is also very faint almost none existant on the Barrel . Mike Steves has looked at this and said it good . So has Bruce . I do not claim to know Everything especially when it comes to the Base Rifle Now the Optics that`s another Story , Just Kidding
I know Scopes & Mounts but I ALWAYS have Mike and Bruce look at the Snipers I am interested in and more Eyes the better . I can get by but safer this way .
I will get a Pic of Right Side of Rec it has WaA26 and WaA135 Proofs on it . Which actually Bruce pointed out to me Quit a while after I bought it . Regards

Well, not sure the meaning of an Astrawerke e/26 HT finished at MO?

A very confused description for sure.. Astrawerke was a parts supplier only and used "l/L" and carried the Chemnitz area acceptance e/1, they had no role in making rifles beyond providing receivers and a few parts. The waffenamt e/26 was responsible for much of the Berlin area, MauserB included, and anything finished at MauserO would have e/135 acceptance mid-war on?

No biggie but I got hooked on the topic/subject line cruising through the forum as I had to see what a Astrawerke HT was!

SimpsonSuhl
Sorry for my confusing Title it should and will say Borsigwalde Supplied Rec finished at Oberndorf

Hello dave,

it seems the others gave it the nod but the whole bolt is suspect for me but what do i know?? if you got at a good price not a big deal.

later
vaughn

Hello dave,

it seems the others gave it the nod but the whole bolt is suspect for me but what do i know?? if you got at a good price not a big deal.

later
vaughn

I am not the type who will just write something like this off if someone says that something is suspect I will investigate that Question mark , Myself and Bruce are having a close look and will post our findings good or bad . Thanks and Regards Dave

Sniper bolt

Appreciate the feebback on this one V99 - you are correct in that the bolt does not fit the normal
pattern for 'i' block production. While the bolt numbering looks good the lack of the 'i' suffix is a problem,
as well as the 2-digit cocking peice - while numbered, it should have the last 4 digits of the rifle SN.
It is an earlier (circia 1940,41) made. Generally these diverted armorers parts dont show up until the
later blocks ('l' block 1944 and throughout 1945 production).

I believe these images are an upgrade from the ones that were used when the initial review was made, hence the current discussion on this.

Thats the big plus of advanced imaging - it magnifies problems.

Yes, better pics, but still- the numbering looks good on the bolt body. As to the lack of suffix on the bolt, I've seen a few rifles over the years that were like this, Hambone posted a bnz42 like that. I guess what I am saying is just because it lacks the suffix I wouldn't toss it out.

Post some more info on the bolt and parts, and pics. Do take pics of the gas shield serials too.

Last edited:
Congratulations Dave ... :)

An "all matching" and original K98k high mount sniper with a great provenance has been the holy grail of my searching for the last 6 years. My wife has 12 or so Enfield snipers in her collection and I have zero in my K98k collection, well unless you count the AR42 I posted pics of in a different thread. :biggrin:

I've had LOTS of pieces offered, but many are apparently not real and just bubba "assembled", or there's something questionable about the piece that makes me queasy when spending the kind of dollars sellers usually ask for these old girls, or when you see the auction prices they've been going for.

So, I'm sitting with a very nice piece of change accumulated from years of allowance hoarding and ready to spend, but I've never been able to locate a piece that is for sale that passes complete muster. Maybe I'm being too fussy? Maybe I should put a WTB ad up on the forum and see what happens, especially with so many serious collectors who seem to be gathering here.

Anyway, thanks for posting the pics. If I can't own one, at least I get to fondle electronic pics of ones that other people have been able to acquire.

:tea:

Regards,
Doug

my other problem is the font size on the safety. looks the same as the bolt body. of the 23 examples i found AROUND this serial all had the smaller font present and through out production when they stopped around the l (L) block from a quick glance. like you mentioned the cocking piece should have 4 serials and the 2 digit present are not the font seen on any MO rifle. now i have not seen every armours part but a true armours part for the most part besides some E/1 stuff they always have the maufacturer like S42 or Circle 27. S237 237 then e/xx or WaAxx. the end on this one look a little buffed and eagle has been worn also. the rest of the rifle looks very good nice stong milling marks and undicked with parts but this cocking piece shows HEAVY wear. i defer to the more in the know i have been wrong before and it's going to happen allot more :). dave is a great guy and were lucky enough to have ppl post such great examples and to end up in this kind of discussion kinds of scares ppl away :( one last observation this rifle has seen allot of action and the top of the bolt lacks the ever so normal wear of the bolt camming stop marking should be thick and very present appear super thin or a shadow in the pic almost non existant here, like bolt flat is at a tapered?? the bolt flat is VERY smooth every example i have seen has light to heavy milling marks.

later
vaughn

Last edited:
All valid points Vaughn- I'd say this bolt is not the one that it left Oberndorf with, so that is the base to start with. Armorers replacement? Being this was made Oct. 44, it's possible it saw use and needed repair, and I've yet to see any armorers replacements this late that were attributed (i.e. Kru1, Su, etc, as many were either overrun by this time or drained of workers for the war effort). That makes this bolt a grey area of collecting- either you believe it or not (armorers part).

However, I would say not all armorers parts had the makers name on them- for instance, see this thread where Don was selling some armorers cocking pieces: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?328-WTS-K98k-Armorers-Cocking-Pieces-various-codes

Armorers parts

For V99 - MO had many parts with just the E/655 and E/135 Waffenamt w/o a corresponding 42 or
byf code - especially on safeties, cocking pieces, and rear sight leafs (as evidenced by some of the
spare parts that Don sold).

my other problem is the font size on the safety. looks the same as the bolt body. of the 23 examples i found AROUND this serial all had the smaller font present and through out production when they stopped around the l (L) block from a quick glance. like you mentioned the cocking piece should have 4 serials and the 2 digit present are not the font seen on any MO rifle. now i have not seen every armours part but a true armours part for the most part besides some E/1 stuff they always have the maufacturer like S42 or Circle 27. S237 237 then e/xx or WaAxx. the end on this one look a little buffed and eagle has been worn also. the rest of the rifle looks very good nice stong milling marks and undicked with parts but this cocking piece shows HEAVY wear. i defer to the more in the know i have been wrong before and it's going to happen allot more :). dave is a great guy and were lucky enough to have ppl post such great examples and to end up in this kind of discussion kinds of scares ppl away :( one last observation this rifle has seen allot of action and the top of the bolt lacks the ever so normal wear of the bolt camming stop marking should be thick and very present appear super thin or a shadow in the pic almost non existant here, like bolt flat is at a tapered?? the bolt flat is VERY smooth every example i have seen has light to heavy milling marks.

later
vaughn

Hi All
To answer on of the items V99 mentioned was the font size on the safety and his concern that it was the same as Bolt Flat another pointed this out as well . So I measured with Calipers and low and behold are not the same size although they do appear so in Pics .Fonts on Gas Shield , Cocking Piece and Safety are same size as each other . Hope this will help a bit . Regards P.S. I will be looking over the Stock Very closely for any possible rework Stamps .

Military Rifle Journal
Back