Third Party Press

Kar 98 stacking hook retainer & Polish stacking need help with question

John Strunk

I'm re-doing a 1915 Kar 98 which was sporterized. I needed all new front end metal parts which included the stacking hook & the stacking retainer, (the metal part within the stock)> I finally found and received the stacking hook retainer today. It fit's perfectly into the slot in the stock (I was initially worried only because I didn't have a picture of this part). I tried installing the stacking hook and although it will fit into the hole it simply goes so far and can't be installed. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and went to numrich gun parts website hoping to find some pic's. What i learned was that there are German stacking hooks retainers and Polish stacking Hook retainers and each have different part numbers. I know that most parts between the german and polish models of the Kar 98 will interchange. However, will a german stacking Hook fit into a Polish stacking hook retainer. If not, then I must have a Polish stacking hook retainer since the stacking hook is German.

Went back to numrich and i must have mis read. There isn't a polish stacking hook listed. However, is there a difference? would something like this require final hand fitting?
These are very difficult rifles

Thanks in advance for any help

john

Last edited:
Have you posted this on Gunboards forums? Or done a search there? I know there is a guy there who has done some Kar98a restoration, he might know how to help you.

Military Rifle Journal
Back