Third Party Press

BNZ43 SSZZA2 Double Claw Mount K98 - Fresh From The Attic

hatrick

BNZ Sniper

A friend of mine contacted my about this interesting rifle that just came out of the attic and I was hoping to get some opinions and help with it. It looks to me to be an original BNZ43 Concentration Camp made SSZZA2 double claw mount sniper rifle. The mounts look to me like they are for the DOW scope set up. The receiver, bolt, triggerguard and floorplate are all matching serial numbers and look to have the correct markings and absence of WaA marks for a Concentration Camp made K98. The stock is cracked and poorly repaired as seen in the pictures but the stock wood and rear band are matching numbers but not matching to the receiver/bolt. The front band has no number. The bore is in really nice shape and is crisp and bright. Since these pictures were taken, my friend gently cleaned the rust spots which ended up being just superficial and came right off with no pitting and/or damage to the overall blueing so the gun has cleaned up really nicely.

I am trying to help him price this out for him and the owner and I want to be 100% honest about the gun. To me it looks all correct but I was hoping some of the experts could chime in with their thoughts on the authenticity of the gun, the SSZZA2 stamp and the mounts and also let me know what the value is.

I think this is definitely worth getting a correct original stock and putting back together into as close to original configuration as possible.

Lastly, if the mounts are indeed for a DOW double claw, what are the chances of a set of claws fitting properly. I see DOW scopes with the claws on eBay every few months. Were DOW claws all hand fitted or are they fairly interchangeable.

Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

• K98 079.jpg
    K98 079.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 080.jpg
    K98 080.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1
  • K98 081.jpg
    K98 081.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 1
  • K98 082.jpg
    K98 082.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1
  • K98 083.jpg
    K98 083.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 084.jpg
    K98 084.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 085.jpg
    K98 085.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 086.jpg
    K98 086.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 087.jpg
    K98 087.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 088.jpg
    K98 088.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 089.jpg
    K98 089.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 090.jpg
    K98 090.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 091.jpg
    K98 091.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 092.jpg
    K98 092.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
more pics

Attachments

• K98 093.jpg
    K98 093.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 094.jpg
    K98 094.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 096.jpg
    K98 096.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
  • K98 097.jpg
    K98 097.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks like the dow double claw bases. The same type of bases were used postwar. The postwar rings while similar are lower than the war time. Be sure to get the right ones. JL

Attachments

• IMG_1467.jpg
    IMG_1467.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1468.jpg
    IMG_1468.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I just got done taking the whole rifle apart and looking it over and everything looks great being all Steyr (WaA77) parts. All of the rust came off and it looks fantastic unlike the original photos. The bolt is interesting in that it only has serial numbers on the bolt handle and the safety and a firing proof on the bolt handle but no serial numbers or other markings or WaA stamps on any of the other parts. The one thing that has me scratching my head is that the barrel is a Mauser Oberndorf barrel with a WaA135 stamp. See the pictures below. Would it be correct to have a MO barrel on the Steyr receiver??

Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

• DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi,good looking rifle,,that bolt throu the stock,is that a field repair?,and the screw that is holding the sling in place?

Styer used several contracted barrels, so an Obendorf barrel might make sense.

Replacing a barrel isn't an easy task, I would assume that it is original to the reciever.

I have to think that is indeed the original barrel because the rear sight base has two WaA77 stamps on the side and if this barrel was changed after the initial assembly, I doubt anyone would spend the time changing the front and rear sight bases as well. The bore is like a mirror inside.

Eric

I was told that I can purchase the gun for $800-900 which I am thinking is a pretty good deal.

It looks like you’ve got an honest SS sniper there with a mismatched stock and bands, just as you mentioned. $800-900 is dirt cheap for what it is, and will be a great sniper to restore. You’ve got a shot at saving some of its history since it just came out of an attic, so you should try to find out more info from the seller as to who brought it back, and any other provenance that might be available.

Mike

One theory on the stock. I have read that when snipers were to be captured that they were supposed to render their rifle useless (removing the optics anddestorying the stock). This might explain why the opitcs are missing and why the original stock is missing or why this replacement stock is so cracked. Sadly we will never know.

K98%20093.jpg

K98%20094.jpg

K98%20095.jpg

K98%20096.jpg

K98%20097.jpg

Hatrick,

I like it and I think it looks original. As far as the scopes go I think they are interchangeable for the most part with only minor adjustments required (I heard this from someone else who has a Double Claw). If it were mine I would put a new stock and rear band on the rifle. Also, I would put a original scope and rings on it. I have been looking for one of these rifle so congratulations. There are pictures of another Double Claw on a previous post here. Dave, would be the expert, but I think he will agree. However, I would talk to Dave first.

Brian

Last edited:
Brian,

As it turns out, I have a spare 1944 dated stock that is WaA77 marked on the bayonet lug so that is a great candidate for the new stock. The only thing with it is that it has an Eagle H stamp on the side of the buttstock which wouldn't have been there being an SS rifle but I figure it is close enough (for now). I have to start hunting down an original scope and mount and an un-marked rear band. This should end up being a pretty sweet rifle once I'm done. If anyone has any lines on the scope and mount that would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Double Claw

Brian,

As it turns out, I have a spare 1944 dated stock that is WaA77 marked on the bayonet lug so that is a great candidate for the new stock. The only thing with it is that it has an Eagle H stamp on the side of the buttstock which wouldn't have been there being an SS rifle but I figure it is close enough (for now). I have to start hunting down an original scope and mount and an un-marked rear band. This should end up being a pretty sweet rifle once I'm done. If anyone has any lines on the scope and mount that would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Eric,

I know someone who has a scope for sale if you are interested.

Brian

Talk to Dave Roberts prior to messing with it

Brian,

Eric

Hello,

I suggest you speak to Dave Roberts ( on this forum ) prior to messing with it. There are several people on this forum who can guide you should dave be unavailible. ie. mrfarb, bruce98k , SimsonSuhl, just to name a few.

I just got home after finally purchasing the rifle. I have replaced the old pictures of the rifle as it came out of the attic with new ones that are better quality and were taken after the rust and grime was cleaned off. Amazingly, almost all of the rust came off with no damage to the finish aside from a bit of freckling here and there. Since I had a spare 1944 dated (under the buttplate) WaA77 stock, I put that on to replace the cracked and repaired stock. Since the only thing on this gun that was not matching was the stock/handguard/bands, I figured this was a pretty decent stock to use until I can find something more appropriate. This stock has an Eagle H stamp on the side of the buttstock so it is really not correct for an SS rifle but it was the best I had on hand right now.

According to the vet's son, his dad was in the 5th Armored Division on a Quad .50 halftrack and this rifle was picked up in/around Holland after his dad had killed the soldier that had it. Unfortunately his dad was not much of a talker when it came to the war but the son is great and I will be meeting with him in a couple of weeks to get as much information as possible about the rifle. As it turns out, the son said his dad's footlocker is still in the attic and there are a bunch of German helmets, flags and other goodies he brought back and for all I know, the scope might be in there as well and maybe even the SS helmet from the guy he killed that had the rifle but that would be almost impossible to substantiate.

Hopefully these better quality photos will help out in authenticating the rifle and also have increased the value by getting all the rust off. The bore is absolutely pristine and is a mirror.

I have a couple of leads on getting a scope if the son doesn't have it and other than getting a better stock, I really need to find a set of un-marked, speed milled stock bands. If anyone knows where I can get a set, any help would be greatly appreciated. I know the son is very excited to see this rifle get restored and his dad's history and service remembered.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:
Eric,

Nice job on taking the time to get the veteran provenance, and look where it led – to a foot locker that’s full of interesting stuff, and might even contain the scope. Don't forget a notarized letter including the rifle serial number and other details if you think the son will be willing to do that for you.

Regards,
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the tip on getting the notarized letter. I am definitely going to bring that up when we meet the son. He seems very appreciative of us restoring this and helping keep his dad's memory alive so I think he will probably do it.

Once again, thanks for the tip.

Eric

Military Rifle Journal
Back