Third Party Press

"byf never made ssr" ...???

tonino7

In a post here in this section I read that "mauser(byf) never made short side rail snipers" . I am shure that you Mauser99 and DaveRoberts are right , but may I have more informations on this ? It's a new imput for me and I would like to understand better.Many thanks in advance for any explanation!

i dont know how to explain more than "they never made a short siderail style sniper." mauser oberndorf only made high and low turret rifles

i dont know how to explain more than "they never made a short siderail style sniper." mauser oberndorf only made high and low turret rifles
Well, I suppose that this is (only) the result of the observations of expert collectors , right? So , which maker assembled K98 with the short side rail mount?I know of the reworked ex Gew98 for the SS , but not all the ssr are have this origin.

ssr's

Well, I can only state what I feel is correct. And if im wrong please correct me.. JP saure along with others in the Suhl developed and used the ssr On interwar and maybe even pre-war commercial rifles. It's a great alternative to the more common double claw set up. Most ss ssr's that are legit have HZW marked commercial mounts.. Weiraugh was also in suhl and made commercial rifles. SS rifles are commercialy proofed. As far a military rifles only JP saure made a ssr sniper. These mounts and bases were either made at walther or in the Zella Mellis area.. As were a large majority K98 receivers shipped and assembled by Saure. So there is a definite connection with the two factories..SSrs are the easiest to fake and hardest to authenticate.. The receiver is standard k98 receiver not a thick walled like the LSr's produced later in the war. Also the large ammount of swedish ssr's around means there are tons of original period mounts around to mount on CE42 and CE43 k98's.
Or the occasional BYf 42 0r 43. Which is completely wrong. One reason people continue to make incorrect copies is the amount of books out there with bad rifles in them. These old guides are in real need of update. The new volumes of Bruce and Mikes books will be able to clear up alot of mis-truths.. Just like the fact only byf,ar and duv made zf41 k98's and we continue to see them made on bnz and 147 coded k98's.. You better thank these turdmongers for not doing their homework !!!

Last edited:
Well, I can only state what I feel is correct. And if im wrong please correct me.. JP saure along with others in the Suhl developed and used the ssr On interwar and maybe even pre-war commercial rifles. It's a great alternative the more common double claw set up. Most ss ssr's that are legit have HZW marked commercial mounts.. Weiraugh was also in suhl and made commercial rifles. SS rifles are commercialy proofed. As far a military rifles only JP saure made a ssr sniper. Most bases are stamped with a e/359 proof. These mounts and bases were either proofed at walther or in the Zella Mellis area.. As were a large majority K98 receivers shipped and assembled by Saure. So there is a definite connection with the two factories..SSrs are the easiest to fake and hardest to authenticate.. The receiver is standard k98 receiver not a thick walled like the LSr's produced later in the war. Also the large ammount of swedish ssr's around means there are tons of original period mounts around to mount on CE42 and CE43 k98's.
Or the occasional BYf 42 0r 43. Which is completely wrong. One reason people continue to make incorrect copies is the amount of books out there with bad rifles in them. These old guides are in real need of update. The new volumes of Bruce and Mikes books will be able to clear up alot of mis-truths.. Just like the fact only byf,ar and duv made zf41 k98's and we continue to see them made on bnz and 147 coded k98's.. You better thank these turdmongers for not doing their homework !!!

Awesome info!! Clears up a lot. I always had a feeling that byf made only turret and zf41 snipers but like you said all the bad info in books and from faked examples lead to questions marks....

I never stated that Mauser did not make SSR` there was two rifles types or more used to Produce SSR`s Mauser byf and Sauer ce
I have NEVER seen a SSR Mount stamped 359 . LSR`s Mounts were Stamped 359 . I think there is some confusion on someones part and I think it maybe in the statement made in Senich Book saying that there were 3 Producers of LSR`s Sauer Gustloff and Mauser this fact is not True . But for SSR`s Yes Mauser Rifles were used to make SSR`s I have even seen Erma Example SSR`s that are Correct and in my opinion not reproduction or Post War , it possible there Depot Builds . Best Regards

Last edited:
ok

Well, Thats why I started my post with please correct me if im wrong.. But, I thought I was sure we had that conversation at the sos about the suspect byf ssr at the show. Where can we see a "real" byf ssr ? I'd be really curious to see it..Another factor we havent touched on is Depot/armouer upfitted k98's with ssr attached. We know they excist but, Impossilbe to authenticate. Again, a variation to try to avoid unless you really do you're homework !

Sorry, about that misunderstanding, but I asked about the mounts, not the SSR mounted rifles.
I doubt that any other company but Weihrauch (HWZ) manufactured the SSR mount.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Well that's the question that Dave Roberts answered and it seems to be a "yes"....

I would go back and look at Amberg`s Post and Again I never stated that MO made SSR Mounts , I said MO produced or a more Correct way to say it MO Rifles were used to make SSR Snipers and as Mauser99 stated Depot/Armorer Unfitted Rifles , I also had mentioned some Erma Rifle and these I have a theory on who and what Scope & SSR Mounts were mainly used on these Rifles . Best Regards

Sorry, about that misunderstanding, but I asked about the mounts, not the SSR mounted rifles.
I doubt that any other company but Weihrauch (HWZ) manufactured the SSR mount.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Let`s Not forget about the UnMarked Mounts and the Different Variants which if memory serves me 2 or 3 . This IMHO will be one of the hardest Sniper to come to any Solid Conclusions on as there is So many Fakes . The Repro Mounts are fairly simple to know Original from Repro but the Rifles different Story . Again just my opinion . Best Regards
:thumbsup:

Let`s Not forget about the UnMarked Mounts and the Different Variants which if memory serves me 2 or 3 . This IMHO will be one of the hardest Sniper to come to any Solid Conclusions on as there is So many Fakes . The Repro Mounts are fairly simple to know Original from Repro but the Rifles different Story . Again just my opinion . Best Regards
:thumbsup:

Let's not forget my Weihrauch (HWZ) "SSR" for WWI aircraft twin MG. ;-)
Weihrauch produced the mounts. Weihrauch located at Zella Mehlis near SUHL => Walthter
Mauser?
best regards

Let's not forget my Weihrauch (HWZ) "SSR" for WWI aircraft twin MG. ;-)
Weihrauch produced the mounts. Weihrauch located at Zella Mehlis near SUHL => Walthter
Mauser?
best regards

Now How Could I ever Forget That ONE My Friend . Have You shown that Here .
Best Regards ,:thumbsup:

just for fun.
two OIGEE 3x scopes.
the smaller one is for WWI Gew.98 sniper rifle.The slightly bigger one with HWZ (Weihrauch) marked side rail mount is for the twin MG08 aircraft MG.

Back to my question: Did any other company but Weihrauch produce SSR mounts for the German Army?

Thanks

Attachments

• OIGEE 3x.JPG
    OIGEE 3x.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 66
just for fun.
two OIGEE 3x scopes.
the smaller one is for WWI Gew.98 sniper rifle.The slightly bigger one with HWZ (Weihrauch) marked side rail mount is for the twin MG08 aircraft MG.

Back to my question: Did any other company but Weihrauch produce SSR mounts for the German Army?

Thanks

That I believe can not be Answered as It is unknown who made these UnMarked Mounts .
At least I am not aware who made them . If someone knows who Produced these Mounts
Please Share this Info if You would . Best Regards :facepalm:

on some of the SSR mounts there is the Rheinmetall logo on the bottom side of the mount body behind the stop cross pin.the logo is a circle enclosing a square.
have never seen a SSR mount with a waffenampt.
in Law's book Sniper Variations it is said that gustloff (bcd) assembled SSR snipers before they assembled the LSR snipers.since i have never seen a bcd SSR rifle i was wondering if this was true.

on some of the SSR mounts there is the Rheinmetall logo on the bottom side of the mount body behind the stop cross pin.the logo is a circle enclosing a square.
have never seen a SSR mount with a waffenampt.
in Law's book Sniper Variations it is said that gustloff (bcd) assembled SSR snipers before they assembled the LSR snipers.since i have never seen a bcd SSR rifle i was wondering if this was true.

As far as I am aware Gustloff never assembled SSR`s at least not using BCD Coded K98`s or any other ,
This is the first time I ever heard anyone mention this . Best Regards

I have a Mauser 42 dated 1938 and a early Ajack Scope 4 x 90 which
mount is suitable for this period i presume a SSR for a Mauser.
Any one have an original complete mount for sale.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back