Third Party Press

Inhereted 1912 98a restoral, need help/advice

pdmayton

Hello all, new to forum. Two years ago while serving in the military my grandfather left me a 1912 Mauser 98a with matching serial numbers. I love restoring things, and shooting but I have no experience restoring rifles and indeed have no idea what I'm doing. I have spent many hours using Rem Oil on everything (was afraid of taking apart the bolt carrier assembly). I spent an hour or two cleaning the bore with the standard copper brushes, oil, cleaning patches but it still looks dirty but no more carbon coming off (almost none anyway) but I don't think there is any pitting in the bore, just looks dirty. The stock has been broke at some point in it's life but it looks like it was repaired well with brass pins. There are dark spots on the metal but virtually no rust, I would like to clean this up but can't seem to do anything more to it (Nevr Dull?). I suspect the wood is dehydrated to based on how loose the barrel fits around the stock. Unfortunately the weapon is missing the stacking hook (which I can't find anywhere) and the retaining screws for the hand guard (Not a big deal and easily replaceable). Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 073.JPG
    073.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 105
Nice Kar, I like the serial number. Have you shot it yet? That's the best way to clear out a bore. As for the stock; have you taken it apart, is it matching? I use Formby's Lemon Oil treatment to hydrate stocks, seems to work and doesn't have any mal-effects. Looks like it might have been sanded though, if it's not matching I would look for a replacement.

Nice Kar, I like the serial number. Have you shot it yet? That's the best way to clear out a bore. As for the stock; have you taken it apart, is it matching? I use Formby's Lemon Oil treatment to hydrate stocks, seems to work and doesn't have any mal-effects. Looks like it might have been sanded though, if it's not matching I would look for a replacement.

Don't know the history of the rifle other than my grandfather owned it for at least the last 15-20 years but he could've owned it much, much longer. From the best that I can tell every single item on the rifle has matching serial number of 1911. It's just a shame that the stacking hook is MIA. I do know that some hooks were not stamped so I could still find a replacement and have a matching serial number rifle. I know the stock looks a bit rough but it has matching s/n as well. It seems to have been repaired very well as it seems very sturdy. Thanks for the tip on the oil, can you tell me your application technique. I have never done this before.

Have not shot it yet, I was afraid that perhaps someone re chambered it at some point or I would pick up the wrong ammo or the barrel wasn't clean enough. I am now pretty confident it is still 7.92, and I think I have the barrel clean enough to safely shoot, but I can only find 8 mm, don't know if its safe to shoot that round or not. Advice appreciated...

Daniel

Last edited:
1st, trust me I'm certainly not an expert on Kar 98a's. However, I just put back together a 1915 that was sported and obtained all of the parts. Your Rifle in totally different you have almost all of the parts & the #'s match.

I know, from your postings that you're missing the stacking hook. Do you have the stacking hook retainer? This is the metal part that fit's into a hole in the stock & the part that you plug the stacking rod into?? Actually, stacking hook's can be found, the stacking hook retainer on the other hand took me 18 months to find.

1st, trust me I'm certainly not an expert on Kar 98a's. However, I just put back together a 1915 that was sported and obtained all of the parts. Your Rifle in totally different you have almost all of the parts & the #'s match.

I know, from your postings that you're missing the stacking hook. Do you have the stacking hook retainer? This is the metal part that fit's into a hole in the stock & the part that you plug the stacking rod into?? Actually, stacking hook's can be found, the stacking hook retainer on the other hand took me 18 months to find.

Yes, I still have the stacking hook retainer in place. As a matter of fact, the stacking hook could still be at my grandmothers house, but it would be next to impossible to find. After my grandfathers passing she became a hoarder so the odds of me finding it are slim to none. Anyhow while looking for the stacking hook I actually came across a stacking hook retainer for sale, but no stacking hook. Guess that's just the kind of luck I have. If you know where I could find a stacking hook, please share because I'm just not finding one...just seem to find forum posts where someone where someone sold one.

Daniel

Formby's Lemon Oil treatment is really easy to apply, just put some on a rag and wipe it over the stock, repeatedly. Once the stock is wet with it, let it set and dry. It's really easy to work with and has no negative effects.

7.92 is 8mm, or should I say 8mm is 7.92X57. So those rounds should be safe to shoot, but if you are concerned you could always take it to a gunsmith and have it checked.

Formby's Lemon Oil treatment is really easy to apply, just put some on a rag and wipe it over the stock, repeatedly. Once the stock is wet with it, let it set and dry. It's really easy to work with and has no negative effects.

7.92 is 8mm, or should I say 8mm is 7.92X57. So those rounds should be safe to shoot, but if you are concerned you could always take it to a gunsmith and have it checked.

I see, so all ammo marked as 8mm is really 8mm Mauser which is in actuality 7.92X57? There is no such thing as 8mm non-mauser rounds? Could someone point me towards some reliable milsurp at a great price? A link would be nice. I've found non-magnetic 50's yugo for $4 per 15 rds in limited quantitys. Anyone know of anything better?

Daniel

Six week's ago I finally found the last part of my K98a puzzle and the parts guy I was dealing with also mentioned having a hook. Truthfully, the parts guy did a great job, didn't screw me $ wise for the part and I told him I'd send people his way who might need something. So, your getting your part to finish your rifle and he's making a sale.

Please post pic's after you get your Hook

John

Daniel

Six week's ago I finally found the last part of my K98a puzzle and the parts guy I was dealing with also mentioned having a hook. Truthfully, the parts guy did a great job, didn't screw me $ wise for the part and I told him I'd send people his way who might need something. So, your getting your part to finish your rifle and he's making a sale.

Please post pic's after you get your Hook

John

I mentioned you'd sent me his way, he didn't seem to remember having stacking hooks, but after checking his inventory he found a Polish and a German stacking hook, like you'd said. He said the German one was pretty nasty looking but beggars can't be choosers. Hoping I can clean it up some, enough to match the look to my rifle. His price was reasonable, 25 + 2 S&H, sent in the payment today and he is just one state over so I may have it come this time next week.

The gun show is in town this weekend, never been to one before so should be good fun. Hoping to pick up some ammo for the 98 and see if she'll blow up some targets or just blow up in my hands.

There are other 8mm calibers, but they are rare and by far most 8mm that shows up at gunshows and gun stores is 8mm Mauser. It usually says mauser somewhere on the box also. Good luck shooting it! I'm sure it won't blow up, they are tough little carbines, and out of Gew98s, K98s, K98bs, and K98ks, K98s are actually my favourite to shoot.

There are other 8mm calibers, but they are rare and by far most 8mm that shows up at gunshows and gun stores is 8mm Mauser. It usually says mauser somewhere on the box also. Good luck shooting it! I'm sure it won't blow up, they are tough little carbines, and out of Gew98s, K98s, K98bs, and K98ks, K98s are actually my favourite to shoot.

Good info to know. Never had the good fortune to shoot a mauser rifle before so I will have nothing to compare it to. I have only shot a mauser pistol so far...Since it is your favourite to shoot and not your favorite to shoot you've outed yourself! Whereabouts you from, Canada, UK, Australia, NZ?

The bad news, the good news, and the bad news.

Okay, bad news first. Didn't catch it before today but upon closer inspection the rifle is not all matching like I previously thought. The upper part of the stock and more significantly the bolt do not match the rest of the rifle. Oh well, this rifle still has a lot of sentimental value, and....

Picked up some ammo for it at the gun show today. Bought 90 rds Yugo milsurp and 25 rds of russian new factory with stripper clips. It shot like a champ after all this time but the bore still looks dirty. I cleaned out a ton of carbon after shooting just 4 rds so not sure if shooting it knocked some stubborn carbon loose or if the yugo rds were just super dirty shooters. I did however run into a problem. The rifle only wants to take 4 rds at a time (or, I guess 4+1 if you please). Am I just not pushing down the 5th round hard enough? I pushed decently hard, I know I've cleaned the mag well thoroughly, mag spring seems good as new. Whats going on here? It fed and extracted without a hitch. Any thoughts?

It is rather deceptive that when it is said that Mausers hold five rounds, what is meant is that they hold four in the magazine and one in the chamber. As long as all five come off the stripper clip then you are fine; the last one should immediately be carried by the bolt into the chamber.

It is too bad, but I wouldn't worry much about the bolt not matching. Most of them are like that and, yes it takes down the value, but its still a nice gun. I'd keep shooting it from time to time if I were you. It may never clean up perfectly but getting used would do it some good.

I'm actually in Ohio, and a poser. I started using antiquated and British spellings in high school and no one stopped me throughout college so its just a habit by now.

It is rather deceptive that when it is said that Mausers hold five rounds, what is meant is that they hold four in the magazine and one in the chamber. As long as all five come off the stripper clip then you are fine; the last one should immediately be carried by the bolt into the chamber.

It is too bad, but I wouldn't worry much about the bolt not matching. Most of them are like that and, yes it takes down the value, but its still a nice gun. I'd keep shooting it from time to time if I were you. It may never clean up perfectly but getting used would do it some good.

I'm actually in Ohio, and a poser. I started using antiquated and British spellings in high school and no one stopped me throughout college so its just a habit by now.

0.o Okay, glad my mag/spring ain't screwed up! I will take your advice an shoot it occasionally. It still has strong rifling so it should be fine. I think the front sight may need adjusted a bit, haven't shot enough to determine is accuracy yet.

As for your posing goes, I'm all screwed up (though accidentally) too. I spent time working for NATO in the military and worked with dozens of different countries and had to review a lot of non-American documents. Now I screw up a lot of 'American English'....one that always gets me...I never remember if it's defense or defence for American English without spell-check and I HATE when people spell 'draft (as in beer)' instead of draught, I HATE 'donut' (who the hell spells dough as do!?) and I HATE 'Thru'!!. Overall I prefer BrE over AE (minus ize vs ise) and think it just confuses things way more....AE that is. I am glad we no longer have the medial S though. Sorry for the ramblings and devolving of this thread lol

Black spots on steel

Since I started this thread I have tried just about everything I can think of to get these black spots off of the steel on this rifle but no luck! So far I have tried cleaning it with Rem Oil, CLP, NEVR DULL, Mineral Spirits, Bore Cleaner, and even soaking it in coke for about 7 minutes. All of these different techniques have had some success in helping the overall brightness on the steel but those black spots remain nearly as much as ever. I can't feel any pitting on it (except on the buttstock plate). What the hecks going on here? Any suggestions? I have spent at least a dozen hours and plenty of elbow grease and I don't want to resort to using emory cloth or fine sandpaper. Suggestions welcome.

As for your posing goes, I'm all screwed up (though accidentally) too. I spent time working for NATO in the military and worked with dozens of different countries and had to review a lot of non-American documents. Now I screw up a lot of 'American English'....one that always gets me...I never remember if it's defense or defence for American English without spell-check and I HATE when people spell 'draft (as in beer)' instead of draught, I HATE 'donut' (who the hell spells dough as do!?) and I HATE 'Thru'!!. Overall I prefer BrE over AE (minus ize vs ise) and think it just confuses things way more....AE that is. I am glad we no longer have the medial S though. Sorry for the ramblings and devolving of this thread lol

EXACTLY! donut? Really, how? I'm so glad you get that. Goes to show that Americans were destroying English before texting.

As for the metal cleaning, do you mean the outside or the bore? Sounds like you mean the outside. The exterior finish should be bluing, as with my Danzig 1910 pictured, so any darkness you're encountering might be remains of the bluing.

Attachments

• 02s.jpg
    02s.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 16
As for the metal cleaning, do you mean the outside or the bore? Sounds like you mean the outside. The exterior finish should be bluing, as with my Danzig 1910 pictured, so any darkness you're encountering might be remains of the bluing.

I mean the metal on the outside (not the bore, or the barrel). I guess I didn't realize that that part was ever blued. It is possible that there is some very stubborn bluing but there are still dark spots (though admittedly not black) on the bolt carrier assembly that I can't get pretty as well. Any suggestions? BTW nice rifle!

I could have a full length discussion on the topic of the English languages and the things about it that piss me off but this isn't the place for that but know you are not alone :thumbsup:

Since I started this thread I have tried just about everything I can think of to get these black spots off of the steel on this rifle but no luck! So far I have tried cleaning it with Rem Oil, CLP, NEVR DULL, Mineral Spirits, Bore Cleaner, and even soaking it in coke for about 7 minutes. All of these different techniques have had some success in helping the overall brightness on the steel but those black spots remain nearly as much as ever. I can't feel any pitting on it (except on the buttstock plate). What the hecks going on here? Any suggestions? I have spent at least a dozen hours and plenty of elbow grease and I don't want to resort to using emory cloth or fine sandpaper. Suggestions welcome.

The black is staining brought on by years and years of poor or non-existent care, mostly because of a lack of protectant oil on the steel. Yes, steel will stain. It is certainly not finish or you would have removed it by now with everything that you have been trying. There is nothing you can do about it short of sand paper or a file and you do not want to go there. It is really doing no harm and is to be expected, live with it and you will learn to love it. It just shows that the carbine has some age and collectors don't (usually) look down their noses at it.

Remember, you don't want "pretty" on an ancient military rifle, it should look like it was used and cared for in it's active life, not shiny and glossy.

Military Rifle Journal
Back