Third Party Press

1871 Mauser

Hi,
I saw an 1871 Mauser in a local shop. It looks like it was never blued, numbers do not match, trigger guard looks brass, adn the stock looks like it's never been messed with. They want 500 for it. Is that an acceptable price for this rifle? It's marked 11 mm.
THanks,
Mike

The receiver and bolts on the IG71s were left in the white, but the barrel and bands should be blued. If unsanded, the stock should have three ciphers on the side as well. Also are you certain it is not a 71/84? They are fairly common and very often found in excellent shape, but I see a dozen nice 71/84s for every decent 71

Its hard to put a value on something you can't see and I am certainly no expert on the 71, but if it matches and is unsanded it might be worth that even with the missing blue. I'd bet you could even talk them down some more.

Slight correction on M71s: Receiver, bolt and buttplate white; barrels may be blue or brown; bands blued. Barrel color varies with maker. Triggerguard as manufactured brass; some salvaged for brass during WWI and brass guards replaced with steel.

Who made it? Some makers scarcer than others. Unit markings (on buttplate) can sometimes make a difference to us unit markings freaks.

I'm not sure who made it but it had rows of crowns all over it. I'll be out there on Friday again so I'll take a better look. I do recall the bands being blued.

Which numbers are not matching? A bolt mismatch wouldn't be bad, but I've seen ones all mismatched (stock, bands, et c) and those aren't very valuable.

Military Rifle Journal
Back