Third Party Press

My New HT

Luft1

Have been looking for something different and hope this is it, from the Baltimore Show this weekend. Serial number is 33954, no suffix, and I'm assuming that its a "byf45", because the receiver side wall is unmarked. The receiver and barrel both carry the correct "eagle 135" Waffenamt proofs along with the correct firing proofs. The barrel is also marked on the rear "44" along with the serial number of the rifle. The top side of the barrel also has the small "byf" in a shield proof. I think the bolt is a late war FN manufacture that is coded on the underside of the bolt with a late WaA140 Waffenamt but still retains the bolt guide on top of the bolt body, and it is fitted with a unnumbered milled sniper style safety. The trigger guard and floor plate are the stamped versions without locking screws and they are each marked with a single "byf" with the correct "eagle 135" Waffenamt acceptance proofs. The stock is a late war laminated version that has the Kriegsmodel style barrel bands, but still retains the bolt take down washer/bolt through the butt stock below the sling swivel and has a correct style checkered cupped buttplate, without the take down hole. The left side of the butt stock has a single WaA135 Waffenamt proof with the matching serial number in the barrel channel. The hand guard is a correct late wartime laminated version that is unnumbered inside the barrel channel.

The scope appears to be the correct WWII Hensoldt & Sohne and is coded "bmj". The scope itself is marked "DIALYTN 4x 74246/BMJ +" with the top of the elevation knob marked from 1-8 (100-800) meters. The scope has the late war style front sunshade/rain shield with no drain holes and it has a blued scope tube with both ends painted black. The front ring is numbered on the left side "35924" with no number on the rear ring. The rifle is complete with the rubber muzzle cover, the sheet metal front sight cover and an original cross-hatched leather sling that has a small "cey" proof mark.

Condition: 99% plus of a late flat blued over phosphate type finish on the barrel, receiver and turret bases with only minor edge and high spot wear overall. The barrel bands have the late green phosphate and the floor plate is still blued. The stock is also in the same condition with almost no handling marks anywhere. The stock is correctly matching numbered to the rifle and the hand guard is unnumbered. The optics are clear and sharp and the elevation knob works correctly. The rifle has matching numbers on the complete bolt assembly except for the safety which is unnumbered and the stock with the remaining parts unnumbered.

Question: While the scope is non-matching, it is very close to the rifle serial number. Would I be correct in believing that this indicates production in the same time period? from the book and the numbers, it almost seem like the scope came from the next batch produced after the rifle came off of the line. Is this too much of a wishful thinking stretch?

Any opinions, comments and disagreements with what i think i see welcomed!!

Attachments

• VDD101-K-CU8-L.jpg
    VDD101-K-CU8-L.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 86
  • VDD101-T-F1-L.jpg
    VDD101-T-F1-L.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 147
  • VDD101-T-F2-L.jpg
    VDD101-T-F2-L.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 126
Byf45 h.t.

THE rifle has eye apeal. I cant tell anything from those photos other than its a k98.. The front ring would match the rifle. So its very close..Also m.o. made no 45 dated barrels and the blank side mean its a byf45. M.O. made a large amount of snipers and zf41's in the first block of 45 production..Congrats.

Last edited:
Few more photos

Sorry, finally stopped hyperventilating and got some more shots

Attachments

• IMG_4253.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4253.JPG.thumb.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4260.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4260.JPG.thumb.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4264.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4264.JPG.thumb.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4266.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4266.JPG.thumb.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_4267.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4267.JPG.thumb.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4270.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4270.JPG.thumb.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4271.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4271.JPG.thumb.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
last few

Last group of pictures

Attachments

• IMG_4272.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4272.JPG.thumb.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4273.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4273.JPG.thumb.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4274.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4274.JPG.thumb.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4277.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4277.JPG.thumb.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4254.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4254.JPG.thumb.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4261.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4261.JPG.thumb.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4275.JPG.thumb.jpg
    IMG_4275.JPG.thumb.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 89
be very proud !!

that is one nice rifle...From the sounds of it you know it.. It's as right as rain. But, Im sure you knew that before laying down the dough. As far a the scope and upper mount. I have spent no time dating scopes. Others here will know. M.O. used a 5 didgit serial from 43 on and that could mean it could be from a 43-45 dated rifle. The sopes are serialed as well and A guy who knows will be able to tell you the year it was made. Cad marked scopes show up on alot of byf45 hi-turrets..But, im sure others were used..

Beautiful sniper! The combination of phosphate and bluing colors on the bolt and trigger guard really stand out, you've got a right to be proud! Great score!!

The Scope on Your HT is a Very Rare Type and it is Correct Serial # Range for this Type BMJ the Front & Rear Lens Housing Bells are Aluminum Type and this is Why they are Painted Black . I have Serial Numbers of a Few others of these BMJ with Aluminum Lens Housings and all so far have been HT That is a Great HT I know who the seller was and were it was Bought from Originally . Best Regards

Any opinions, comments and disagreements with what i think i see welcomed!!

If I remember correctly, the RIA auction catalog description for this rifle stated that the scope bells had been repainted. I only briefly looked at the rifle while at Baltimore, but that statement seemed to be true (the base of the elevation dial appeared to have been repainted as well). If one area of finish has been enhanced, look extra carefully at the other finishes to be doubly certain that all is correct, particularly on a gun originating from RIA. Some very skilled workmanship shows up there thanks to their no-guarantee policy on description of items.

Luft1, do you mind telling us what the inspection stamp is on the receiver behind the bolt handle (sometimes called the bunny proof)? The byf 45 no-suffix HT that I have has an “0” in this spot. Also, does yours have a penciled number in the barrel channel of the stock?

The missing screw on the left side of the front base is interesting. Did someone remove it? If the screw head broke off during original assembly, does anyone know if the Germans would have allowed it to pass inspection this way?

Mike

If I remember correctly, the RIA auction catalog description for this rifle stated that the scope bells had been repainted. I only briefly looked at the rifle while at Baltimore, but that statement seemed to be true (the base of the elevation dial appeared to have been repainted as well). If one area of finish has been enhanced, look extra carefully at the other finishes to be doubly certain that all is correct, particularly on a gun originating from RIA. Some very skilled workmanship shows up there thanks to their no-guarantee policy on description of items.

Luft1, do you mind telling us what the inspection stamp is on the receiver behind the bolt handle (sometimes called the bunny proof)? The byf 45 no-suffix HT that I have has an “0” in this spot. Also, does yours have a penciled number in the barrel channel of the stock?

The missing screw on the left side of the front base is interesting. Did someone remove it? If the screw head broke off during original assembly, does anyone know if the Germans would have allowed it to pass inspection this way?

Mike

If the Screws was Broken it would not have Passed Final Inspection . Best Regards

Took a close look at the bunny proof: interestingly its an "H", and not one of the other ones I have seen, "O","R", or "N". Took an extra close look with a glass and a bright light just to make sure it wasn't an "N", but the center cross line is straight across, and not an N's diagonal.

I completely agree with you generally about items offered out of RIA auctions. I'd never buy something directly out of those auctions, as after I went the first (an only) time in person, I walked away with the perception that even with as little as I know, I was uncomfortable with everything K that I saw in person and that I had really wasted a trip. However, for any Ks that I am thinking of buying these days I rely on a double check from a guy that I know who has been the source of many of my Ks over the last 25 years and he also goes to the RIA auctions when he thinks something is worth looking at. His general assessment is that only 1% of their offerings should ever be considered and this apparently was one of those cases. So I am a second filter RIA guy if I get anything out of their stock and actually, think this is the first time I've pulled the trigger on one of their items. Can't say that that insures me or anyone else against making a mistake, but it sure cuts down the odds quite a bit

Hope the bunny data helps, as i am quite interested in seeing if there are any other reported "H"s out here? My problem is that I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to be confident

Just got an update from another member who has both a byf 44 and a byf 45 HT. He confirms that his proof on the 45 date is also H marked but not his 44. So, while we only have three 45 dated examples reported so far, with 2 of them being an H, maybe the H marking was unique to 45 produced examples? Can anyone else who has a 45 byf HT confirm what their example is marked?

High Turret

I thought this was an attractive rifle. I saw it for sale at a couple of shows. I was trying to decide why there is not a large ammount of solder around the front base. Also, most of these were phosphated in my opinion. I have one 1945 timeframe BCD LSR with bluing over phosphate. This is not a common trait of these rifles and some would question this. Thanks for sharing your rifle.

Brian

Military Rifle Journal
Back