PDA

View Full Version : Another bcd 4 LSR Uncovered

gergnotwen
03-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Suggested by a moderator to re-post in the sniper section..

I have been trying to put this deal together for weeks and finally concluded it today. This one has been owned by a gentleman for over 50 years since he bought it from a vet and then used it for hunting.

Here's the negatives:
- Mag follower trimmed so bolt will close after last round is fired.
- Duffle cut front end missing, front band drilled out for socket head screw.
- Small stamped name of previous number stamped in the stock, near the butt plate.
- Upper hand guard cracked slightly but intact.
- Sight hood missing.
- No scope (I guess I can't get everything, damn!) :(
- LSR base pin missing and screws were admittedly replaced by owner.
- Trigger guard screws look replaced, rear one has Waa stamp?

The positives:
- Bolt assembly is fully matching (have not checked firing pin yet)
- Bore is mint
- Checkered butt plate!
- Matched long key safety!

So as I am not a big K98 guy, how does it look to the experts? Do I restore the front end of the stock by finding a forward end, bayo lug, and forward stamped band and spring? From the looks of the serial number it looks pretty late production according to the bcd4 / 45 serial number study. I have not pulled the action from the stock and it will have to wait until this weekend. Any other photos needed for any bcd collectors? Should I look for an original LSR scope and mount? Any guidance from the pros on this project would be greatly appreciated.

I missed the sellers mismatched G41w, he took it to a gun show this weekend and someone bought it from him for $1300 cash! I was hoping for a shooter as it was re-blued, but I guess I'm lucky he didn't take this one to the show! He through in an old bayonet in the deal, a monstrous 21" long Erfurt sawback with leather scabbard. I have no idea on the bayonet, it is unit marked but I don't know what it went on or the age. If anyone wants photos, let me know and I'll post them off topic.

Thanks!
Greg

gergnotwen
03-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Here's some more pics...

gergnotwen
03-20-2012, 09:10 PM
I did not get the duffle cut end with this rifle so I am in the hunt for a correct front end, band, spring and bayo lug. Were the bayo lugs marked or serialed on the late bcd "c" stocks? If so what is the correct Waa marking for the bayo lug? What spring is correct, machined or stamped sheet metal late war type?

Anyone have any parts to available for restoration? Follower replacement found (Thanks Wayne!!:thumbsup:) so one down and more to go! Comments or suggestions, fire away...

mauser99
03-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Standard end red glue stock shouldnt be to hard to find. Post war czech stock is the same type. The bayolug would be blank and rough milled or coded.. either would be correct. Upper stamped band and a milled or stamped band spring.. Lxr follower will be in the mail tomorrow..

mike radford
03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Looks like a gun well worth restoring. Sounds like you are getting help already. Good luck.

Dave Roberts
03-22-2012, 01:29 AM
That is a Very Nice Condition LSR , Well worth the effort to restore it . One very interesting thing to me is the Stock Semi Kriegs Type . I have a Matching one in 57000 serial Range it had originally Semi Kriegs but at some point the Stock disc was added also . Mike S and Myself have talked about this being done and it is the same thing you find happened with the Late HT Rifle many time when Checkered Butt Plate is removed you will find the bolt take down hole threw stock and the Take Down Washer in Stock . So for some reason the decision to reenact the Take Down disc and Not drill Checkered Butt Plate as on this Stock . This is only 2nd LSR with Semi Kriegs Stock I have ever seen .