Third Party Press

KKW Gustloff 22 Trainer

mattakinbimwalker

Here are a few photos of the trainer that I got from an awesome seller. Three of the pics the seller took and I took a few more pics of areas that I thought were important. I can take better pics in the daytime. I haven’t cleaned anything on the rifle. I havent touched a single thing.

As you will know, it’s a 22 trainer KKW Gustloff. The serial number is 271,732. It has the N stamps with the wings over it. The bolt is also marked a four digit 1732 in some sort of very light paint that looks hand numbered. (Not etched in the metal) The wood is very nice with a "P" cartouche on the bottom of the stock. I would rate the gun as about 80-85%. There is a WaA1 on the bolt, an “i” proof on the rear sight; and a “3” proof on the top of the stock where the action slides in. The gun is a true bringback. The grandfather of the guy I bought it from brought it home in 1945 where it stayed in their old homestead ever since. His granddad died and he had no real attachment to the gun. It sat in an attic for several decades untouched. There appears to be no sanding or anything like that to the wood. I did notice a slight dent towards the front barrel band. There is also a slight discoloration on the bottom of the butt stock that looks like it layed under something in the attic. The grandson told me he knew nothing about it and he had never shot nor had his granddad.

gustloff kkw

well, it;s a high serial range gustloff kkw.. The bolt should have the last 3 didgits of the serial number etched or scribed into the bolt flat. I have never seen on with more that the last three added there.. So thats odd. Anywaffenapts would be odd as well.. The variation may has a small stick eagle 749 on the side of the receiver. The only k98 part that will interchage is the rear sight leaf. But the graduations are wrong.. So better pic's are a must. Use the macro flower feature on the camera..

here are the pic's of the bolt flat and the extra proof mark off my 270,000 range gustloff...

Attachments

• Picture%20699.jpg
    Picture%20699.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture%20667.jpg
    Picture%20667.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
OK

SORRY, the rear sight spring is also the same as a k98.. Thats an i coded spring only.. No red flags there.. Id say the bolt looks correct. It's scribed in by the looks of it . It's not painted.. Ive never seen one with 4 didgits on the bolt flat before. Odd, but it looks ok..

Also, gustloff serial ranges seem to run to the 272,000 range from what I can remember..

Last edited:
That one was owned by Bob Chandler at one time. #279252 was recorded off the old BCN forum some years ago. Simson had/has #253425 I recorded from his list.

Military Rifle Journal
Back