Third Party Press

Shooting the G.33/40

gergnotwen

Rest In Peace
Thought I would share some results of shooting my no-letter block G.33/40 with my son. Had to shoot it once before putting it in the safe. I shot two types of ammo and got two very different results. Would like to hear what the experts think on this. I love the photo of my son showing the muzzle flash on this little mule. These little carbines are fun but brutal!

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 64
  • G3340 Muzzle Flash.jpg
    G3340 Muzzle Flash.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 94
Thought I would share some results of shooting my no-letter block G.33/40 with my son. Had to shoot it once before putting it in the safe. I shot two types of ammo and got two very different results. Would like to hear what the experts think on this. I love the photo of my son showing the muzzle flash on this little mule. These little carbines are fun but brutal!

Looks like it likes the Romanian surplus! I have had similar results with whatever wwii 8mm rifles I shoot, which isn't many these days. The low power balkan or US made stuff is usually pretty wide open and then military spec loads seem to tighten up. As far as muzzle blast I don't seem to mind the 33/40. Nice pics.

How many rounds were fired? Do those targets represent what else was shot? I'd try some HB ammo, and maybe work up handloads if you reload. Also, try three separate groups at 100 yards to get a better idea of accuracy potential.

Pat

These were five shot groups with differing ammunition. The variance at just 50 yards amazed me. I bet I didn't put 60 rounds through the G.33/40 before cleaning and retiring to the gun safe and I probably will not be shooting it again as it is all matching and I don't consider it really a "shooter". Next time I get to the range I'll try this same combination with my K98 shooter with the ZF41 and see what happens.

Greg

Ah, I see now. I would be extremely careful if it was my rifle, too.
Pat

More unpleasant

I owned a shooting range and fired many weapons.... 33/40's are not fun to shoot...the only thing worse from WW2 is the Jungle carbine.:faint:

I owned a shooting range and fired many weapons.... 33/40's are not fun to shoot...the only thing worse from WW2 is the Jungle carbine.:faint:

Never pulled a trigger on the Jungle carbine, but this little bugger left me black and blue for two weeks. Makes a world of difference shooting a K98 that has more mass to absorb the energy that is shoved down range. Muzzle flash is enormous, with that short barrel and a lot of burning powder still heading out the pipe along time after he bullet heads downrange it lights em up in even in the full Florida sun! Night firing might be fun though... Thats a thought :facepalm:

Another story

Never pulled a trigger on the Jungle carbine, but this little bugger left me black and blue for two weeks. Makes a world of difference shooting a K98 that has more mass to absorb the energy that is shoved down range. Muzzle flash is enormous, with that short barrel and a lot of burning powder still heading out the pipe along time after he bullet heads downrange it lights em up in even in the full Florida sun! Night firing might be fun though... Thats a thought :facepalm:

When I owned my gun shop an old veteran hunter told me he used a Jungle carbine to hunt. After I ranted about the wandering impact issues, stout recoil and muzzle explosion he looked at me and said...." I get real close to the deer and if the bullet misses the muzzle flame cooks em. " I think I laughed for an hour......:laugh:

Military Rifle Journal
Back