PDA

View Full Version : Installing SC Mount

Southwest
03-28-2012, 05:25 PM
I am putting together a SC k98 to use for hunting. The k98 is a rescued "Bubbaized" bnz43. I found one of Robert's SC mounts and bought a very nice correct stock from Mario. What I am trying to determine is the best method for alignment of the mounts? I have not found a suitable scope yet (suggestions appreciated) but I do have access to a short length of tubing that will fit in the rings. Anybody have any suggestions?

Regards, Al

Hercules
03-28-2012, 09:15 PM
I am putting together a SC k98 to use for hunting. The k98 is a rescued "Bubbaized" bnz43. I found one of Robert's SC mounts and bought a very nice correct stock from Mario. What I am trying to determine is the best method for alignment of the mounts? I have not found a suitable scope yet (suggestions appreciated) but I do have access to a short length of tubing that will fit in the rings. Anybody have any suggestions?

Regards, Al

Al,

I personally would choose a different type of mounting system. The Single Claw is my favorite from a looks stand point, but not for shooting. I have shot an original Single Claw with repro rings and LSR type scope. I have also shot a LSR rifle with original everything. The LSR was preferable in every way to include: sighting in, accuracy, and ease of use. The Single Claw must be a perfect fit where the rings fit in mounts. You are limited in adjusting left/right movement of the scope based on how you file the part of the rings that fit into the rifle scope mounts. This will not most likely make sense until you do it. There is a definite knack to doing it. If you file to much and the scope will be loose and will move with recoil (No matter how tight you make the the screws it will move some). Not impossible to achieve, but how many mistakes will you make until you achieve what you want (file to much and you start over with new stuff). I have an original Single Claw with original mounts. I have fit repro rings on it and I have fit an original rings/scope to it. Now that it is completely original I will not shoot again (I would not tighten these screws and risk stripping them or breaking vintage glass). I realize that you are building one, but if it were me I would build a SSR or a LSR. I have never built one, but I am giving you my best opinion based on my experience. Others may have different opinions based on their life experiece at metal work and shooting.

Brian

Dave Roberts
03-29-2012, 01:31 AM
Al
If You are doing the Bases Yourself and do not have a Scope , I would have suggested exactly what You mentioned You are going to use , that is what You need to do . Use the Tubing . Best Regards

Southwest
03-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Yes, I do want to complete the project myself. Thinking it over, it probably would be better if I had the scope. Using a Laser Boresighter with the scope in the rings should get it close. I would like to find a pre-war Zielvier scope to use. This is hunting rifle so the collectible aspect of the scope isn't as important as the $ it takes to buy one! I appreciate both of the replies to my question. More to ponder over. :facepalm:

Regards, Al