Third Party Press

Erfurt 1918 #2580

ERFURT 1918 #2580. That is about all I know about this rifle. This rifle was one of my dad's many gun projects that he started a long time ago. After he passed, my brother and I split his collection. As my brother chose the newer hunting rifles, I chose my dad's projects. I finally decided to learn more about what I have, and ended up here.

All I can say is this was being "sporterized". It has a newer unfinished stock, no sights, and I believe all the serials match. I will post some pix tonight. If anyone can tell me more about this I will really appreciate it.

Rich
Merced, Ca

Welcome to the forum, pictures will be a big help, but 1918 Erfurt Kar.98a are rather common in sporter configuration. Surprisingly they are much tougher in Imperial original. 1916 & 1917 Erfurts are much easier to find Imperial original, both because more were made and because more survived the war. Several times more common than a 1918 dated rifle.

1915-1918 Erfurts all reached the double suffix ranges, 1915 slight less than 1918, with 1916 and 1917 just huge numbers made. 1917 was the highest production year for any manufacturer until WWII, a very common rifle in sporter or in full Imperial matching. It is sort of remarkable Erfurt was able to make so many Kar.98a during the war, even Danzig didn't reach their production ranges, and Danzig did little besides rifles. Erfurt made large numbers of pistols, MG08, MG08/15, etc.. that they also topped the Modell98 production is truly remarkable.

Anyway, pictures of the right, top and left receiver, and all stock markings will help very much. If the stock is a replacement or sporterized too much to have markings then no need to image it. If an easy take down, you might image the barrel markings.

Well these make great sportsmen rifles, hunting rifles, - short and very light, and yours was given the full treatment. I have owned a few like this, but once the handguard lip is removed, as in this case, you pretty much are stuck with a hunting rifle. I have seen it replaced, it can be done, but I doubt it would be worth it in 90% of the cases.

Still like I said they are great hunting rifles. I have one that isn't altered metal wise, but the original stock is quite unrestorable. I still use it when I expect to be walking awhile. Very handy little rifle.

Here are some pix of it.

Thank You for the information. Would you have an idea what it's value would be as is? I don't hunt nearly as much as my father did, and I'm not sure I want to or can complete the project.

Thanks again,

Rich

As a collectable rifle, not much I'm afraid, but as a hunting rifle a few hundred possibly. I do not follow hunting rifles, and generally rifles that are significantly altered are worth what the parts are worth. A good barreled receiver $100 or so, a bolt $75-$200 depending on acceptance and variation, trigger guard, $25-40.

I paid $285 for mine about 10 years ago, really super nice and restorable, minus the stock, but the US dollar was still worth something then. It is also a 1918 Erfurt.

Military Rifle Journal
Back