Third Party Press

German/Norwegian M1894 bayonet

denny gaither

Moderator - RIP
Ryan has been posting some very interesting examples of foreign bayonets as modified by the Germans. Here’s my small contribution…
This is a German modified Norwegian model 1894 for the Krag-Jorgensen rifle. Interestingly the blade, crossguard and pommel are forged from a single piece of steel bar stock. Originally having a long blade, the Germans shortened it to 21 cm. and shortened the scabbard by cutting off the tip and reshaping it. The bayonets were left with their original bright finish while the scabbards were blued. Many but not all, were stamped with a WaA84 on the cross guard. This seems to be a rather hard to locate piece for collectors; in this country at least.
I don't have a long bladed original Norwegian one to post for comparison. Anyone else have an example? If so, please post it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• krag1.JPG
    krag1.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 23
  • krag2.JPG
    krag2.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 47
  • krag3.JPG
    krag3.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 47
  • krag4.JPG
    krag4.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 48
  • krag5.JPG
    krag5.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Neat, but I don't think the Germans shortened this one. There were two main type of Norwegian bayonet: the M1894 and the M1916. This is an M1894 with an 8.5" blade and no fullers. The M1916 is the long bayonet with a blade of about 15" with fullers. I think the Germans cut down the M1916s, but I've never seen one.

Around the same time the Germans began assembling Krags out of parts leftover at Kongsberg (1943?), they began manufacturing/aseembling M1894 bayonets. I think this would be one of those "new" bayonets. Seldom seem, and very cool in any case!

Thanks Ryan. Yes, you are correct in that this one never had a long blade. Thanks for expanding on the different models...

Military Rifle Journal
Back