Third Party Press

Danzig 1916 go or no go

stabsfeldwebel2

I found this one yesterday. Danzig 1916. I wonder if it’s go or no go (fake). I can see the barrel/receiver numbers are not completely identical. An what about the skulls?. What do the experts says?

Attachments

• danzig 001.jpg
    danzig 001.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 61
  • danzig 002.jpg
    danzig 002.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 56
  • danzig 003.jpg
    danzig 003.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 59
  • danzig 004.jpg
    danzig 004.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 70
  • danzig 008.jpg
    danzig 008.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 75
  • danzig 009.jpg
    danzig 009.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 62
  • danzig 010.jpg
    danzig 010.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 68
  • danzig 011.jpg
    danzig 011.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 55
Looks like somebody found the barrel assembly with ss proofs and then slapped a spare receiver together to make a rifle up.

There are few experts in this field, and fraudulent stamps have been around for decades, good ones too, but perhaps if you own the rifle or have it in your possession, you can disassemble it and examine the metal under the wood?

I would lean authentic and expect a commercial proof under stock, - as it lacks a fireproof it is probably proofed under the barrel. The serialing style and acceptance look good enough to me, but it needs to be proofed, usually up until 1942 this was commercial proofing under the barrel.

I found this one yesterday. Danzig 1916. I wonder if it’s go or no go (fake). I can see the barrel/receiver numbers are not completely identical. An what about the skulls?. What do the experts says?

Very true.

As Scott often says, or said, one must consider the rifle as a whole in such situations. It is possible the barrel is the only authentic thing, or possibly neither, however the first step is to see more of the rifle. All matching components and under the stock.

I'm no K98 expert but I'm not liking the pipe wrench marks at the barrel...

Last edited:
Looks like somebody found the barrel assembly with ss proofs and then slapped a spare receiver together to make a rifle up.

Maybe, but it appears that the barrel and receiver are matching numbered. Of course the receiver shot does not show the serial very well and the owner will have to have the final word.

I know I'm a newbie here but I don't understand why there are death heads on the barrel, this is 1918. Is it maybe a Nazi era barrel stuck on an Imperial receiver? If that is indeed the case the odds of the s/n matching one another are pretty low but even if it is the honest s/n of both items then it still wouldn't be correct and +1 on the pipe wrench marks. Again, I'm a newbie to the 98 but if I was considering a purchase like this the two possibilities that would be running though my head would be its either one of the items has fake marks or somebody had a mismatch and found a matching s/n (of the wrong era) and just threw it on there in their garage. Maybe one of the other guys can tell you if I'm way off base here.

The rifle is a 1916 Danzig, however that is irrelevant. The DH represent SS ordnance acceptance, and the SS utilized many old Gew.98's the first few years before and during the war. Often the acceptance was merely that, just acceptance of the firearm, and if it received a new barrel they would often be commercially proofed. Often the rifles tend to re-utilize original parts, - unlike the Heer reworks which often have total refurbed parts, forced to match.

The issue has less to do with the fact the receiver isn't scrubbed, not all were, nor with the different serialing fonts between barrel & receiver, as that too varied. The barrel DH look good, so does the serialing on the barrel, - I could not match up the receiver fonts with other styles known, though I only have a couple hundred recorded, many of dubious authenticity, and usually the fonts are not so radically different. The receiver shows that it went through a interwar rework, though the finish is harder to accept. I would like better pictures of the receiver, under the barrel and all matching components.

Anyway, as it seems the OP either won't or can't do more images, this is not going to be resolved, but I wouldn't buy the rifle with only these pictures as it is very possible the barrel is the only authentic part.

more pics

The rifle is a 1916 Danzig, however that is irrelevant. The DH represent SS ordnance acceptance, and the SS utilized many old Gew.98's the first few years before and during the war. Often the acceptance was merely that, just acceptance of the firearm, and if it received a new barrel they would often be commercially proofed. Often the rifles tend to re-utilize original parts, - unlike the Heer reworks which often have total refurbed parts, forced to match.

The issue has less to do with the fact the receiver isn't scrubbed, not all were, nor with the different serialing fonts between barrel & receiver, as that too varied. The barrel DH look good, so does the serialing on the barrel, - I could not match up the receiver fonts with other styles known, though I only have a couple hundred recorded, many of dubious authenticity, and usually the fonts are not so radically different. The receiver shows that it went through a interwar rework, though the finish is harder to accept. I would like better pictures of the receiver, under the barrel and all matching components.

Anyway, as it seems the OP either won't or can't do more images, this is not going to be resolved, but I wouldn't buy the rifle with only these pictures as it is very possible the barrel is the only authentic part.

Hallo S og S
Here are some more pics. He´s not the quickes on.There are no numbers or sign/marks on the stock. There only the small eagle on the barrel – nothing else. There are a lot of numbers/marks on the receiver. This was the best pics I can get from the seller.

Attachments

• danzig 2 001.jpg
    danzig 2 001.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 22
  • danzig 2 003.jpg
    danzig 2 003.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 18
  • danzig 2 004.jpg
    danzig 2 004.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 15
  • danzig 2 005.jpg
    danzig 2 005.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 22
  • danzig 2 006.jpg
    danzig 2 006.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 23
Thanks, this is helpful and clarifies the situation with the rifle. Again, no sort of expert, but I do trend this variation and "typically" when they have this type of commercial proof under the barrel (E/N that began in Jan/1940) the rifle usually has another "E/N" on the right receiver (or "commercial" proofing on the left receiver).

There is some variation to this, there are several different type of commercial proofing patterns used on these (37-42), but those that have the characteristics of your barrel and that are 1940 all have this pattern.

In other words, I suspect that receiver is not original to the barrel, though the barrel is authentic.

Military Rifle Journal
Back