Third Party Press

Zf.41 site

The ZF41.be site is a very good source information. There's a site for ZF41 and other German WW2 scopes in general

http://homepage3.nifty.com/zielfernrohr/index.htm

and another one depicting the guts of the ZF41

http://www.k98k.info/index.php?p=showtopic&toid=402&fid=38&page=1&t=zf41-vs-zf41-1

A word of caution: The ZF41 reticle appears to be silk screened or printed onto the center lens and is extremely sensitive to the touch: You clean it with alcohol or lens cleanser, it comes off. You lightly rub it with a soft brush or a Q-tip, it comes off. Either way you lose big time, so DON'T mess with the reticle. Leave it to the experts. If you over estimate your skills, you can quickly turn a $400 scope into $100 parts donor. You simply won't find a spare reticle!

I recently picked up an original dow ZF.40 (factory upgraded to ZF.41) with original mount at the gun show. Price was OK, in the order of what they go for on feeBay but I was able hold it in my hands, look at it and check it out before I dropped down a wad of green.

Like almost every dow scope I've owned so far -be it ZF4 or ZF.41-, the grease had solidified and its evaporated oily components had fogged up the lenses. Disassembly was a bear due to the solidified grease but warm air from a hairdryer helped a lot. Luckily, I only had to remove and clean the front lens assembly to make it clear and movable again. I bore sighted it and took it to the outdoor range the other day.

With some minor adjustments (once you figure out how the two adjustment pins move the lenses around, it's actually pretty easy) I walked the point of impact right into the bullseye and shot nice 2" - 3" groups at 100 yards afterwards. I'm still getting used to the ZF.41, there's definitely room for improving the accuracy. The rifle I used was a bcd 43 with the bogus rear sight mounted "sniper" rail sold by Numrich.

Last edited:
Excellent site. I had read it before and probably will several more times. Thanks for the link Terry and good job by our member/author.

I'm thinking about restoring the contents of the zf41.be website and make them available to the k98kforum community. I have recovered all pages and links, but it's a "text only" clone of Luc's website at this point. I wasn't able to recover any pictures from the site, although some of them were copied and are scattered around the internet. If you have pictures that you downloaded from Luc's site, please let me know and I will integrate them into the html code.

Thanks

I'm thinking about restoring the contents of the zf41.be website and make them available to the k98kforum community. I have recovered all pages and links, but it's a "text only" clone of Luc's website at this point. I wasn't able to recover any pictures from the site, although some of them were copied and are scattered around the internet. If you have pictures that you downloaded from Luc's site, please let me know and I will integrate them into the html code.

Appreciate your effort...Lost knowledge is a true waste.:thumbsup:

Hello,
I did not download any photos from Luc's site, but if you are interested, you can use photos showing my ZF41s (nothing outstanding, just standart ZF41s, bmj, fzg, eso ....), some period photos, manual ...
Thanks
Wolfgang

At this point I have resurrected all pages of the former zf41.be website (text only). I've have also located a new server for hosting the pages. What's missing are nearly all photos. I found a few through Google search, they mostly have the line "The Small German Sniper" printed across, so I know they are the original ones from Luc's former site. Some of them are from back then when he hosted his stuff on Everyoneweb. I'm still missing a lot of original "zf41.be" pictures and I will probably have to replace them with whatever matching/appropriate picture I can locate on the web. I can't find his signature picture of the soldier with the ZF41 standing next to a tree, aiming his rifle. I found a screenshot of it but the quality is poor. If you have any of his pictures on hand please let me know.

I'm not doing this to profit from it in any shape or form, my only intention is to preserve important information for the K98 community. I will keep working on the site for about another week until I make it available to the public. If you think you have anything of interest which you like to contribute, please let me know and I will thread it in. It turned into a much bigger task than I initially envisioned and it made me quickly walk away from the idea of resurrecting the MP/PTR44 and FG42 portion of the now-defunct G/K43 website.

Military Rifle Journal
Back