Third Party Press

1874 Infantrie Gewehr.71

zfox44

Hello,

I have an offer to buy a 1874 date Mauser I.G.71 or Infantrie-Gewehr 1871. It is an OWEG manufacture judging by the top of the hex shank reads Oesterwaffeb.Ges Are these contract production for Prussia from Austria? The rifle is all matching ser.# The rifle has original blue finish on the barrel turning slightly brown.

The bore is bright with visible rifling, virtually no pitting, exceptionally nice for a 137 year old rifle. Stock is unsanded with strong proofs, but does have some very old handing marks, dents. The serial number is two digits- XX.0 very early production, what does the ".0" signify in the serial number?

The rifle has unit markings on the buttplate, reads 7.R. and 10. 172. ??? below that. Could someone translate what division that 7th regiment was in?

I am aware it is difficult to judge without photos, but with my description and general presumption, what would be a ballpark price range to consider for a rifle like this one above?

Sorry, I do not have a camera to get photos yet. But certainly will get then as soon as I can during inspection. Hopefully one can provide me with some info with the detail I have described. Thanks!

-zfox44

Last edited:
If the barrel has the Crown over FW, then yes it was originally produced by OEWG (Steyr) for Prussia. Of course, pics would help in identifying exactly what you are looking at.

I want to say the ".0" indicates it was refurbished, maybe in Austria? I think I have seen this mark before on Austro-Hungarian Mannlichers...

'71s seem to be harder to come by than the '71/84s. If it is in as nice a shape as you say, I would pick it up.

Thanks guys for the info on the serial #.

The rifle does have a large crown over FW.

Though is the pattern/order of serialling similar to that of the later Gew.98s, with the letter block ordering of the numbers? For instance would a XX.O block be sometime late in 1874? One indicator I notice is that the second "issue" date by the year one is 1875. Just curious of anyone here knows about the I.G. 1871 production stats if they have been researched before.

I will get some photos up once I receive the rifle. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back