Third Party Press

1909 Erfurt Kar.98

zfox44

Hello,

I have a 1909 Erfurt Kar.98a XX91 "a" block, all Imperial that I have recently acquired. I don't have a working camera yet, and I will try to convey description with best of my ability. I will have pictures done as soon as I can if needed. I have a question about the imperial proof markings on the stock.

An unusual feature I notice about the stock is that it has the deep sharp imperial proofs under the wrist,

however it does not have any stamped on the right side that you normally would see on these rifles. Are there Kar.98a's found without these stamps on the right side of butt stock?

The stock looks all solid untouched in chocolate red/brown original finish, not with a shiney varnish coat etc, with sharp edges and old dings, the stock has a full serial number under the butt matching to that on the receiver. Is correct pre-war, no bolt take-down washers or hand grooves etc.

The rifle is all parts matching except for the bolt (by the last two digits of the serial number in the same font fashion) . The parts all have imperial proofs consistant with those on an Erfurt.

The bolt has an old serial number lined out on the bolt flat, all the parts on the bolt assembly matches itself with that serial number. A new serial number was added above that matches the rifle. Looks to be the same manner as found on my depot rework 1916 Danzig Gew.98, so would that indicate a similar war-time rework for the Kar.98a?

I would greatly appreciate some info based on what I have. If you would need to have photos, I will have to borrow one from friend to take them, but will take a few days. Thanks!

-Zfox44

Last edited:
Nothing personal, but generally I prefer to deal on a reciprocal basis, people ask a question and provide usable data and in exchange questions are answered.

I will answer your question though, if the stock is missing the cypher, but has a wrist acceptance, the stock is an armorers spare. Often they are serialed to match.

Do some images and we can tell you more about your rifle.

Hello,

I have a 1909 Erfurt Kar.98a XX91 "a" block, all Imperial that I have recently acquired. I don't have a working camera yet, and I will try to convey description with best of my ability. I will have pictures done as soon as I can if needed. I have a question about the imperial proof markings on the stock.

An unusual feature I notice about the stock is that it has the deep sharp imperial proofs under the wrist,

however it does not have any stamped on the right side that you normally would see on these rifles. Are there Kar.98a's found without these stamps on the right side of butt stock?

The stock looks all solid untouched in chocolate red/brown original finish, not with a shiney varnish coat etc, with sharp edges and old dings, the stock has a full serial number under the butt matching to that on the receiver. Is correct pre-war, no bolt take-down washers or hand grooves etc.

The rifle is all parts matching except for the bolt (by the last two digits of the serial number in the same font fashion) . The parts all have imperial proofs consistant with those on an Erfurt.

The bolt has an old serial number lined out on the bolt flat, all the parts on the bolt assembly matches itself with that serial number. A new serial number was added above that matches the rifle. Looks to be the same manner as found on my depot rework 1916 Danzig Gew.98, so would that indicate a similar war-time rework for the Kar.98a?

I would greatly appreciate some info based on what I have. If you would need to have photos, I will have to borrow one from friend to take them, but will take a few days. Thanks!

-Zfox44

Military Rifle Journal
Back