Third Party Press

Latest Acquisitions

PrayingMantis

Got two new ones here.

First one is a 1917 Danzig that I picked up off of Gunboards a while back. I got it as a reenacting gun but it turned out to be slightly nicer than expected. It was a restoration, the stock from the rear band forward was grafted on but it looks pretty good. My only issue is that the stock was sanded, but the acceptance stamps are still mostly visible. The rear sight, triggerguard screws, and bands were mismatched. After finding matching bands I decided that I'll keep it as a placeholder until I come across a better '17 Danzig, plus the font the 7 is in is really cool.

It was reworked at Koblenz at some point; the bolt is a renumber and there is also a large L on the buttplate. Since the sight and bands are not original the bolt is the only piece that was apparently altered when it was reworked.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1027...s/5735483393110024961?authkey=CIONsvO93_ipxwE

Here are the numbers:
DANZIG 1917

Receiver SN 7465w
Barrel SN 7465w BI 566
Front sight SN 65
Rear sight SN 70
Sight Slider SN 66
Ejector box SN 65
Trigger Sear SN 65
Front barrel band SN 08
Rear barrel band SN 56
Trigger guard SN 7465
Trigger guard screws SN 93, 93
Floor Plate SN 65
Follower SN 30
Stock SN 7465 Beech
Handguard SN no number
Buttplate SN 7465w 5 W
Bayonet lug SN no number
Cleaning Rod SN
Bolt body SN 165 7465
Extractor SN 65
Safety SN 36
Cocking piece SN 50
Bolt sleeve SN 80
Firing pin SN

Attachments

• Barrel Code.jpg
    Barrel Code.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Buttplate.jpg
    Buttplate.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 31
  • Barrel Serial.jpg
    Barrel Serial.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Full View Right.jpg
    Full View Right.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 46
  • Receiver Left.jpg
    Receiver Left.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Receiver Right.jpg
    Receiver Right.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Receiver Top.jpg
    Receiver Top.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Renumbered Bolt.jpg
    Renumbered Bolt.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Sanded Stock.jpg
    Sanded Stock.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Triggerguard.jpg
    Triggerguard.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Spandau 1903

Next is a reworked 1903 Spandau I acquired through trade. The story I was given stated that it came out of a VFW in Ohio.

This one has me perplexed: the bolt has been renumbered to match the receiver/barrel, as has the triggerguard. The barrel bands are serial number matching but only the rear one appears to be original matching. Handguard is a very nice unnumbered armourers part, as is the follower. The stock is not renumbered, though it has multiple rework stamps and has apparently been on the gun since the war, note the shrapnel gash on the left receiver that went across the wood. Are there any other Cologne rebuilds similar to this one? or is the stock indeed mismatched and put on after the rework or even the war?

https://plus.google.com/photos/1027...ms/5735487255303407553?authkey=CKnh--rpobHaRQ

SPANDAU 1903

Receiver SN 5848d
Barrel SN 5848d
Front sight SN 48
Rear sight SN 48
Sight Slider SN 48
Ejector box SN 29
Trigger Sear SN 48
Front barrel band SN 48
Rear barrel band SN 48
Trigger guard SN 6285 5848
Trigger guard screws SN 48, 48
Floor Plate SN 48
Follower SN not numbered
Stock SN 8946
Handguard SN not numbered
Buttplate SN 8946 4 F
Bayonet lug SN 46
Cleaning rod SN 33?
Bolt body SN 5284dd 5848
Extractor SN 84
Safety SN 66
Cocking piece SN 66
Bolt sleeve SN 66
Extractor SN 66
Firing pin SN

Attachments

• Barrel Serial.jpg
    Barrel Serial.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Buttplate.jpg
    Buttplate.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Full View Right.jpg
    Full View Right.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Receiver Left with Gash.jpg
    Receiver Left with Gash.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Receiver Right.jpg
    Receiver Right.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Receiver Top.jpg
    Receiver Top.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Renumbered Bolt.jpg
    Renumbered Bolt.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Stock Acceptance.jpg
    Stock Acceptance.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Triggerguard Serial.jpg
    Triggerguard Serial.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 24
You sure are a gambler! The auction pics were not too good, but it looks pretty decent, as you state, - something about Danzig that I like, they are anything but uncommon but they just look Prussian! Probably my favorite arsenal manufacturer.

BTW, the suffix is "w" not an "n", just fyi if interested.

Got two new ones here.

First one is a 1917 Danzig that I picked up off of Gunboards a while back. I got it as a reenacting gun but it turned out to be slightly nicer than expected. It was a restoration, the stock from the rear band forward was grafted on but it looks pretty good. My only issue is that the stock was sanded, but the acceptance stamps are still mostly visible. The rear sight, triggerguard screws, and bands were mismatched. After finding matching bands I decided that I'll keep it as a placeholder until I come across a better '17 Danzig, plus the font the 7 is in is really cool.

It was reworked at Koblenz at some point; the bolt is a renumber and there is also a large L on the buttplate. Since the sight and bands are not original the bolt is the only piece that was apparently altered when it was reworked.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1027...s/5735483393110024961?authkey=CIONsvO93_ipxwE

Here are the numbers:
DANZIG 1917

Receiver SN 7465n
Barrel SN 7465n BI 566
Front sight SN 65
Rear sight SN 70
Sight Slider SN 66
Ejector box SN 65
Trigger Sear SN 65
Front barrel band SN 08
Rear barrel band SN 56
Trigger guard SN 7465
Trigger guard screws SN 93, 93
Floor Plate SN 65
Follower SN 30
Stock SN 7465 Beech
Handguard SN no number
Buttplate SN 7465n 5 W
Bayonet lug SN no number
Cleaning Rod SN
Bolt body SN 165 7465
Extractor SN 65
Safety SN 36
Cocking piece SN 50
Bolt sleeve SN 80
Firing pin SN

It is a little unusual for the stock to not be serial to match the receiver, but as you say it probably is original. Possibly the bolt/TG done at a depot, the stock a later salvage, from the field or one of the "Tikki hut" style replacements.

Generally three things are not overlooked, imo, the receiver serial should match the bolt body & stock, everything else is hit or miss, but usually some of the "fit" issue parts have at least a abbreviated match.

Next is a reworked 1903 Spandau I acquired through trade. The story I was given stated that it came out of a VFW in Ohio.

This one has me perplexed: the bolt has been renumbered to match the receiver/barrel, as has the triggerguard. The barrel bands are serial number matching but only the rear one appears to be original matching. Handguard is a very nice unnumbered armourers part, as is the follower. The stock is not renumbered, though it has multiple rework stamps and has apparently been on the gun since the war, note the shrapnel gash on the left receiver that went across the wood. Are there any other Cologne rebuilds similar to this one? or is the stock indeed mismatched and put on after the rework or even the war?

https://plus.google.com/photos/1027...ms/5735487255303407553?authkey=CKnh--rpobHaRQ

SPANDAU 1903

Receiver SN 5848d
Barrel SN 5848d
Front sight SN 48
Rear sight SN 48
Sight Slider SN 48
Ejector box SN 29
Trigger Sear SN 48
Front barrel band SN 48
Rear barrel band SN 48
Trigger guard SN 6285 5848
Trigger guard screws SN 48, 48
Floor Plate SN 48
Follower SN not numbered
Stock SN 8946
Handguard SN not numbered
Buttplate SN 8946 4 F
Bayonet lug SN 46
Cleaning rod SN 33?
Bolt body SN 5284dd 5848
Extractor SN 84
Safety SN 66
Cocking piece SN 66
Bolt sleeve SN 66
Extractor SN 66
Firing pin SN

Thanks for the clafication, Paul, I still haven't quite got those damned suffixes figured out! I have a pretty good track-record with my gambles; the '14 Danzig, '09 DWM, and '15 Schilling all worked out, but the '18 Simson sure was disappointing.

You sure are a gambler! The auction pics were not too good, but it looks pretty decent, as you state, - something about Danzig that I like, they are anything but uncommon but they just look Prussian! Probably my favorite arsenal manufacturer.

BTW, the suffix is "w" not an "n", just fyi if interested.

I'm still very much on the fence about the '03 Spandau. If it weren't for the gash I wouldn't give it a second thought, but who knows.

It is a little unusual for the stock to not be serial to match the receiver, but as you say it probably is original. Possibly the bolt/TG done at a depot, the stock a later salvage, from the field or one of the "Tikki hut" style replacements.

Generally three things are not overlooked, imo, the receiver serial should match the bolt body & stock, everything else is hit or miss, but usually some of the "fit" issue parts have at least a abbreviated match.

I'm sure it's good, but mismatched is mismatched- just like so-called "factory mismatch" is still mismatched.

You are good at taking chances, though those Simson/1918 were disappointing, at least you tried and the downside was minimal. A very tough mfg/year to put together, and as you say who has ever had two Simson/1918 receivers together!

Military Rifle Journal
Back