Third Party Press

"k" Block byf 44 with some oddities, analysis requested....

pzjgr

EOD - bombs and bullets
OK, much to the joy of Vulch I am sure, I finally am getting my man cave attic closer to finished, and have been able to broach the closet o' death and start pulling out some guns...as I pull some out I have some I want to post, and some I have questions on...

Heres the first, a "k" block byf 44...seemingly correct, but after looking through bible, I am not sure...

To me the bolt and receiver match seem fine, although the bolt has some oddities. It is all numbered correctly (at least it seems so to me), round hole late war body. It has the FP, but on the underside of the root, nothing but an "S" in the gutter area...also note the M1 on the rear locking lug. Also has the odd "7" in the gutter area on the top of the root...any thoughts on the bolt as a whole?

Then the TG, it is stamped, but un-numbered. Correct byf with two E/135's, but no number. And the floorplate is an un-numbered astra-werk marked milled part.

Stock...it seems to be a "c" marked subcontracted stock, only marking on the side is a small eagle over "H"...no numbers. Handguard is not "c" marked.

Bands are stamped and un-numbered. The lower band is drilled for a screw like for a full kriegs, and I don't know if I trust the upper band. I am thinking it may have been "de-numbered", although a good look in person and the metal finish and bluing seem consistant.

It is non-import marked....so is it possibly all correct, or has it been "enhanced"?

Attachments

• DSC00376.jpg
    DSC00376.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00378.jpg
    DSC00378.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00379.jpg
    DSC00379.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00380.jpg
    DSC00380.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00381.jpg
    DSC00381.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00383.JPG
    DSC00383.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00384.JPG
    DSC00384.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00386.jpg
    DSC00386.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 36
Another few...

Attachments

• DSC00387.JPG
    DSC00387.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00389.JPG
    DSC00389.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 16
A bit early to have unnumbered stock and bands. Also, note that it was numbered on the barrel shank and not the left of the receiver ring and that the safety is numbered. I would tend to believe that it has been enhanced with replacement stock, bands, and unnumbered floorplate. Where did you get it and did you have to be a collector type price?

A bit early to have unnumbered stock and bands. Also, note that it was numbered on the barrel shank and not the left of the receiver ring and that the safety is numbered. I would tend to believe that it has been enhanced with replacement stock, bands, and unnumbered floorplate. Where did you get it and did you have to be a collector type price?

I don't remember where I got it, but I know I didn't pay any sort of premium for it...I think I got it a few years ago for probably $400

Shouldn't the stock be E/135?

I don't think the floorplate/stock/bands are correct..

Bolt looks like a normal FN bolt

Yeah, I am begining to think restored sporter, although the "C" stock made me question if it might be correct...the bible says "C" stocks started in the "L" block, possibly could have been in the "k" block, but no examples had been reported....

Hi pzjgr-

i think the general rule is when they numbered the rec. they dropped numbering on the stock and bands. Ive got a HT 38xxx k block which is numbered on the rec. so i think you just missed it

btw ill give you just about anything for your :censored: bolt or FP !

Last edited:
Hi pzjgr-

i think the general rule is when they numbered the rec. they dropped numbering on the stock and bands. Ive got a HT 38xxx k block which is numbered on the rec. so i think you just missed it

btw ill give you just about anything for your :censored: bolt or FP !

Dude, trust me, if it were a bolt mismatch, I'd gladly trade the bolt for any other bolt...but since at least the bolt matches the gun, I can't let it go. I keep an eye open for things you need, but 98k parts aren't too common around here....

Even C stocks are marked properly for Mauser Oberndorf with Wa135 side and wrist proofs. Stock is not original for sure, neither are bands or floorplate.

OK, it sounds like probably a restored sporter then, I would guess...

Ehh, didn't pay too much, and its a good place filler for now then...

Thanks guys.

Military Rifle Journal
Back