Third Party Press

FINALLY!! my sos purchase. 1912 steyr 08 conveted w/holster

mauser99

FINALLY!! my sos purchase. 1912 steyr 08 converted w/holster

This was tucked into a corner of an un-assuming case at the big show. This one I couldnt leave there. I have always had a soft spot for these. This is a 1915 dated example and it has Austrian unit marks on the lanyard ring. These were thought to have been refinished and rebarreled at mauser oberndorf. The orig holsters apear to all be unmarked. This had the holster and a stripper clip of orig ammo still in it.. It was a fresh to the market item and it was covered with the fuzzies and dirt & dried oil.
Now its all cleaned up to its former glory . Enjoy.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
here are the rest..

the barrel was newley made P08 and E/N proofed and serial numbered..German commercial proofs were added to the frame and the 08 caliber stamp on the slide.
The other side of the frame is E/L police is stamped. All other stamps are Imperial Austrian.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 30
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
the holster

brown type holster..With the new owners name inside..

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 25
Actually Wayne, I believe the pistol lanyard markings are Austrian police. S.W.62 indicates Sicherheitswache Wien (Waffe) 62. Similar markings are found on the Steyr M1913/34. Here is an example of your holster worn by a member of one of the occupation police batallions operating in one of the Baltic states.
RothSteyr_SteyrHahnPoland.jpg

Latest research published in DWJ by Mötz & Schuy indicates 9x19 barrels probably made at Steyr and assembled at a Pol. depot outside Vienna. Mauser was not in the picture at all. This should be laid out in their next book.
German-used M12s are an interesting sub-field in themselves.

Thanks Joe.. You're knowledge of police stuff is second to none.:hail:
Im sure you are correct.. I just assumed and wrongly I must say that it was a WW1 austrian marking. As lot of these are unit marked. This makes it a little more special. Also thanks for the photo. It took a keen eye to spot that holster in that shot.. I have to say its the only one I have ever seen. This weapon was used little if any.. Thanks for all the kind words.. I had sold off all my steyr Hahns and never thought I'd own another..

Actually Wayne, I believe the pistol lanyard markings are Austrian police. S.W.62 indicates Sicherheitswache Wien (Waffe) 62. Similar markings are found on the Steyr M1913/34. Here is an example of your holster worn by a member of one of the occupation police batallions operating in one of the Baltic states.

Thanks for the update C.B. I was quoteing the incorrect info listed in Axis pistols.. As we know many older books are full of flawed info.. It makes more sense they would of been reworked in Austria @ Styer. Not M.O. ! Thnaks. again..:hail:

Latest research published in DWJ by Mötz & Schuy indicates 9x19 barrels probably made at Steyr and assembled at a Pol. depot outside Vienna. Mauser was not in the picture at all. This should be laid out in their next book.
German-used M12s are an interesting sub-field in themselves.

LOVELY Wayne - very envious. Another pistol I have wanted for a LONG time (NOT the original, but the 9mm Para conversions)

Now to find the perfect FEG M.37...

Nice looking pistol, I have never heard of/seen one before! I am just starting to get it to the ww2 pistols now.

Steyr..1911/12

these were mass produced and some were exported to Chilie and there was a ww1 Bavarian contract and a Romanian contract. They list in Axis pistols the estimated amount converted to P08 for the German Police in ww2. But they also mis informed where the conversion was done. Anyway, They are not super common but not rare. Condition is the key with these as is with any ww2 handgun.. The holster is super scarce. and there are repro holsters now but the quality is low and markings are WW1.. These pistols are way under appreciated and are very well built and Steyr's rotating barrel design was used for many years by them.

Military Rifle Journal
Back