Third Party Press

Help with ZF4 scope and mount....

Gerard

Collector /Militaria Dealer
Guys, I think it has a chance, but I haven't owned one of these before, any opinions appreciated as to good or bad....

Attachments

• g43a.jpg
    g43a.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 50
  • g43h.jpg
    g43h.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 65
well,

square edge mount in phosphate isnt common. As thats the early type.. Id like to see more close up's..
The rest looks ok.. Not really mnty enough for you though ! :facepalm:

I agree on the finish, square end 359 mounts are typically blued. Engraved number should be cut through the finish as they were engraved after the scope was finished and matched to the rifle. Eyecup, cover and sunshield are originals!

Here is a better shot, the forum only accepts photos that are fairly small, it's hard to be detailed. I want to be positive it's bad before I decide.

Attachments

• g43l.jpg
    g43l.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 61
Mount

WELL, the number looks rubbed..but id say it was 4630 ? these earlier mounts are smoother than the later ones. I'd say its ok.. as the repro mounts are really bad..It has some roughness and thats one of the things to look for.

Last edited:
Gerard,

Everything looks fine from your pics. Number is typical.

Because a mount is "square ended" does not necessarily mean it is an "early" mount. Yes, a blued 359 mount will be early. I believe, but have no proof, that these mounts were made by several contractors...one of them had round ends and another had square ends. Maybe the round end mount contractor appeared later in the war.... Just a theory I have though.

Any comments?

Reference Photos for ZF4 Mount Numbers

Here's a few from my collection that shows various styles and numbering for reference.

Greg

Attachments

• DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0051.jpg
    DSC_0051.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0085_2.jpg
    DSC_0085_2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 47
Thanks Guys, Greg, what do you think of the mount, seeing the larger photo?

the only odd thing I see it the rubbed or part missing serial. # If you look at the others the serial is clear.
The serial # was the last thing applied..
compair side by side.. I think the mount is orig though..

Thanks Guys, Greg, what do you think of the mount, seeing the larger photo?

Attachments

• DSC_0085_2.jpg
    DSC_0085_2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 33
  • g43l.jpg
    g43l.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 41
the only odd thing I see it the rubbed or part missing serial. # If you look at the others the serial is clear.
The serial # was the last thing applied..
compair side by side.. I think the mount is orig though..

I'm with Mauser99 on the serial number, I find it odd that the top part appears to be ground off and makes me think it was cleaned up and refinished at some point. I have no doubt that it is an original mount as is everything else (you would need to check the bands by taking them off to be sure they are 100% though). In my experience, the engraved numbers should rust before the phosphate or blued finish does as it is exposed bright steel and was the last thing done after matching to the original gun. I also have a few early 359 mounts that have the numbers of the rifle and the scope stamped in them and these all have a consistent finish on the mount itself as well as in the area where they are deeply stamped. At some point in production the pantograph engraving started at both Walther and BLM, my "L" block matching sniper has the square end mount with the pantograph engraved numbers so it was some time before this block when the change over occurred but when is anyone's guess. Look under the scope and carefully inside the dovetail slot to see if you see evidence of a sandblasted finish that might indicate it was cleaned up. There should be milling marks, especially at the rear end of the slot where the oval area is cut. Get out your magnifying glass!

Milling Marks in Dovetail Area

Here's a couple of examples of what the inside of the dovetail area looks like, sandblasted mounts that have been refinished will loose a lot of this detail.

Attachments

• DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0052.jpg
    DSC_0052.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 43

Military Rifle Journal
Back