Third Party Press

Seeking for information on a Gewehr 98b

pinguin

Hi

I was recently offered a Gewehr 98b and wanted to ask the experts what you think about it. I took some closeups of the important places, but if further images are needed, I can make them.

Thx in advance for any opinions / comments you may have.

Attachments

• 98B_LEFT.jpg
    98B_LEFT.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 98B_RIGHT.jpg
    98B_RIGHT.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 60
  • MAG.jpg
    MAG.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 60
  • RECEIVER_LEFT.jpg
    RECEIVER_LEFT.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 81
  • RECEIVER_RIGHT.jpg
    RECEIVER_RIGHT.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 59
  • RECEIVER_TOP.jpg
    RECEIVER_TOP.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 91
  • SIGHT.jpg
    SIGHT.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 51
  • STOCK.jpg
    STOCK.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 64
Even from just those photos I can tell you that the rifle is a total fake. The markings on the receiver and barrel make no sense what so ever, and none of the markings look correct. I wouldn't purchase that rifle if I were you.

Who is offering the gun? I've been seeing a lot of humped Gewehr 98s with multiple royal cyphers (there should be only one) on the butt being auctioned on eGun.

@mrfarb: How can such a rifle be a complete fake? I couldn't see any traces where previous stampings had been removed. To fake it, someone would need a barrel without any markings on it and I don't think something alike exists or am I missing something here?

@PrayingMantis: It is beeing offered to me by a private person. But I'm quite sure he got it from a reseller in Germany.

It is not difficult to remove markings from barrels and receivers, which may also make this rifle unsafe to shoot. If you study the way the markings look and compare them to originals, you can clearly see they are not original.

Here's an original Spandau marked receiver for you to compare to, see if you notice what is different (and wrong).

attachment.php

Attachments

• spandau.jpg
    spandau.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 155
It is a forgery, and it was listed on eGun back in January by "Transarms" and most know what that means...

Here is the auction details:

SAMMLERRARITÄT: Gewehr G98b / Kar98b im Kaliber 8x57IS
Artikel-ID: 3676329 • Kategorie: Sammlerwaffen/-munition > Gewehre > 1900 - 1945
Aktueller Preis1.599,00 EUR

Restzeit2 Tage, 17:55:57
Ende20.01.2012 16:30:00 MEZ
Gebote0 ( Gebotsübersicht )
Höchstbieter--

Verkäufer (3889)
Artikelstandort67547 Worms
(Deutschland)

Frage an transarms
Diesen Artikel beobachten
Alle 178 Auktionen von transarms
Artikelempfehlung senden
Verstoß melden

Versand & Zahlung
Zustand der Ware: Siehe Beschreibung
Zahlung: Barzahlung, Vorkasse, Überweisung
Versand: Käufer trägt Versandspesen, Versand innerhalb der EU (EU wide shipping)
Versandkosten: 25,00 EUR (Inland)

Falls Sie nicht aus Deutschland kommen, informieren Sie sich vor dem Bieten in der Artikelbeschreibung, im myGun von transarms oder direkt beim Verkäufer über die Versandkosten in Ihr Land.

Artikelbeschreibung

Ein sehr schönes Gewehr 98 , gestempelt Mod. 98 b im Kaliber 8x57IS.
Fertigung Spandau 1910 mit dem Reichswehr Doppeldatum 1920.
Nummerngleich in allen Teilen.
Lauf leicht rauh ohne Neubeschuss nur für Sammler oder Händler.
Waffe ist fachmännisch überarbeitet und aufgefrischt.

You know, re-reading your opening post, if you can disassemble the rifle and image the barreled receiver under the stock it might help to identify the date-origin of the receiver and barrel.

It is possible this receiver was once a Spandau receiver, scrubbed and re-engraved over the useful aspects. The right receiver first position is the acceptance found on S&H sub-contracted receivers, it is a little off but very close, possibly just the picture quality or the tough up engraving. The rest is not typical (what you would expect) but if it once was a S&H receiver the logo will be under the receiver, and i doubt they would have removed it. If so you can date the receiver to 1916-1918. Even if not a S&H receiver, it might offer a clue to the receivers origin-date.

Like wise the barrel will have a barrel code if German, might help with its origins.

Thank you all for your comments so far.

I visited my "friend" again and was able to completely disassemble the rifle. I tryed taking pictures of all stampings I could find.

The barrel itself has no code whatsoever beside the stampings on the left side.
If I get this right, this means the receiver was rebarreled at some time with a new barrel.

If the price is low enough (must be very low ;-) ), I plan on buying this one as an example of a faked weapon, as it nevertheless looks quite nice and the various parts seem to be in pretty good conditions. But do you think this one is reasonably safe to shoot or wouldn't you shoot it at all?

Attachments

• BOLT.jpg
    BOLT.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 19
  • BOLT2.jpg
    BOLT2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 21
  • BOLT3.jpg
    BOLT3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 20
  • FEEDER.jpg
    FEEDER.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 20
  • RECEIVER_BACK.jpg
    RECEIVER_BACK.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 22
  • RECEIVER_BOTTOM.jpg
    RECEIVER_BOTTOM.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 21
  • TRIGGER.jpg
    TRIGGER.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 18
Well I guess if you are going to alter a rifle, it is best to start with a clean slate. Remove everything, or nearly so, and start fresh. That the barrel code has no markings means it is was sterilized also, as even the earliest rifles have some markings.

I wouldn't buy it at any price, as who knows what was done to it, but good luck with it. At least it is a good example of the progress underway with altering rifles for profit. It shows a certain level of skill, better than some, some knowledge of the rifles, though so far it falls short in several areas.

Military Rifle Journal
Back