Third Party Press

Czech 98K project / ID help

PMKS

If this is the wrong forum, I apologise, I didn't see a post war 98K forum page, but this 98K did start out as a wartime model, so.....

Anyone know the story on these?

Picked up this rifle at a gunsmiths table at a small gun show in the early 1990's for $150. Was sold as a "project". Stock it was in was trashed, no barrel bands or upper handguard. Barrel and finish were almost mint, hardly any machining marks. Since I already had some complete 98K stock sets I picked it up, put it in a decent stock set, and put it in the back of the safe.

Receiver crest markings ground off, 2 Waffenamt's peened out, one on side of barrel, one on side of receiver, but you can still tell what they were. Serial number 3138 with an M underneath it on side of receiver. Bolt stamped 3138 with an M underneath it above bolt handle. No other serial numbers or markings on bolt components. Side of receiver marked with some Czech markings including BRNO. These markings look like they were added to the rifle later on, not at time of production. Barrel Stamped NP on top, with an L stamped underneath the barrel. Post-War Czech "winter" triggerguard which I left on it. No import marks anywhere on it. It does kinda look like the 98K's Samco sells though.

Recently I've taken it out and thought about turning it into a "repro sniper" since it is not worth that much except as a shooter.

06102012380.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back