Third Party Press

Kornbusch&Co ?

kar66

How common is a Kornbusch&Co/1916 ? One sold at a local auction Sat.. I looked at it before the auction. It looked like it was original and matching. It wasn't turked or WW11 modified. The receiver and bolt were still bright in the white, it still had the Lange rear sight, narrow lower band, full length barrel and stock. It was also dufflecut, but all the parts were still mounted on the rifle. I think it was in the o block. Another odd thing it came with a matching dot bayonet in the n block. I didn't get back in time to buy it. It sold for $45.00. But it stayed in the family. I don't really understand about Kornbusch. Was it part of DWM?

Well any WOK is desirable, a problem free one all the more. By observations, 1916 is more common than 1917, but by "known" serial range 1917 is most common. If it were an "o" block it would be a huge jump for WOK/1916, as they are not known anywhere near that high. WOK/1917 are known into the "o" block but just barely (actually just "reported” as high as the "o" block, several "n" blocks are documented though, so the early "o" block report is probably good for 1917.)

WOK was a cooperative arrangement between private enterprise and the state, typical of governments then and now, they stole their part of the "deal" and formed WOK with machinery from occupied FN. Which ironically was owned by DWM at the time... FN was occupied and dismantled, machines going to start up WOK and to Spandau to enlarge their MG production.
DWM became involved at an early stage, buying up most of the stock on the open market, and by 1918 was able to buy the controlling interest in the company. Unfortunately, what seemed like a good idea in early 1918 turned out to a bad move by 1919, not only did DWM lose what remained of FN in Belgium (they owned FN prior to WWI), they also had to return all the looted machines that now made up Oberspree. To top it off, the Belgians canceled their stock and ownership of FN, so DWM lost FN entirely, the machinery at Oberspree and essentially the entire investment in the Oberspree Company.

I suppose they kept the land and building... I guess it hardly mattered though; the loss of FN was probably the gloomiest part, as it would have been an outlet for their patent holdings and a way to keep in small arms. Oberspree would have been a loss irregardless of the machinery, it was a rifle factory and DWM didn't need a rifle factory in 1919, they had enormous capacity already (MO & DWM combined could compete with all the arsenals combined - through efficiency, which is always lacking at government firms, - why WOK had such a bad start up, the government was involved.) and small arms production was no longer an industry of promise in post Versailles Germany.

Kornbusch

Thanks for the information Paul. I knew if I could get your interest I would find out more about WOK than I have been able to find in any of my books. Most of them say amost nothing about WOK. I always enjoy reading your comments, there is always something I need to learn in them. Thanks again.

Kornbusch

One more thing I'm not 100% sure that it was a o block. That is just the picture of the bolt number I see in my mind when I try to remember the rifle. I really just gave it a quick look over to see if it was worth coming back later to bid on. It was, but I was 5:00 minutes late getting back to bid. I think I know who bought it maybe I will get another look at it. I really intended to buy it, if somebody in the family didn't. I heard one of the sons got it.

Thanks, always glad to help fellow collectors.

WOK is a tough topic, only Danzig is more difficult to outline. One day, hopefully, more will be known about these companies and their activities.

Did somebody say Kornbush?

kar66 thank you so much for starting this thread, I do hope you are able to see the rifle again, and get more info to post.

I am also in the same boat, can't find anything on the Oberspree manufacture. I've read everything relating to Kornbusch on the forum good material here. And greatly appreciate any pieces of information on the subject. SimsonSuhl is a treasure in this respect; he graceously adds valuable insight. How does he do it?

But I have a question to anyone who might care to answer that's been on my mind for some time: What is the connection between W. Oberspree and W.Oberspree Kornbusch & Co. Are these separate units, or the same manufacturer that in time decided on a name change, did Oberspree and Kornbusch split up?

Best regards..Mike

Last edited:
Kornbusch was one of the owners, I think he was bought out eventually, and his named dropped. DWM became sole owner late in the war and that is probably the reason for the name shift. The DWM/1939 anniversary books is slim pickens on the details of this process. Storz goes over it briefly also, but is not especially revealing.

Military Rifle Journal
Back