Third Party Press

Sporterized Gew 98 question

Homer2

I found a Oberndorf 1914 Gew 98 at a pawn shop that has had the stock cut down. It is in decent condition, all matching, and no Turk marks or Weimar double date. Bore condition is shootable, and it looks pretty decent except for the stock issues. Price is $119, but I probably can get it for less.

I primarily collect Mosins, but would like to have a WWI German rifle to go with my Imperial Russian and WWI Enfields.

How hard would it be to find a decent stock, bands, and hand guard?

Would this be a desirable rifle in restored condition?

Thanks for any insight. Price seems pretty good.

Mauser/1914 is a good date-mfg combination, not too many known, - actually 1914 dated rifles are pretty tough in general.

The rarity and condition of the rifle is what usually determines whether it is worth the expense of a restoration. It has the rarity factor, this maker-date is pretty uncommon anywhere near matching.

Sounds like a steal at $120 OTD, though finding the right stock won't be very easy. I guarantee you a decent stock for this rifle will cost more than the rifle will cost. Expect $150-200 at least for a stock, a good one anyway. I have two early stocks i am going to sell soon, but too early for this rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back